Drink package question

On 6/19/2019 at 9:06 AM, Gregg00ss said:

As stated, there is no normal price but $50/day seems to be what I've normally seen it at on most of my cruises, although I've heard of people seeing it at 54/day.  I just got a buy 1 get 1 half off deal so that brought it down to 47/day.  The half off deal definitely was not half off what it would have cost the day prior, I think if I did my math right based on the bogo pricing they are saying the drink package should cost 62/day.

$62 sounds about right. I think that is what they use if you try and utilize the 40% Pinnacle discount onboard.

3 hours ago, dpal2208 said:

Thanks for the quick response. I’m trying to figure out the break even number for the $47 cost.

Does anyone have recent drink and beer costs? I’m guessing its probably around 4-5 drinks and 5-7 beers per day to break even.

Thanks in advance

djp

Frozen drinks are $12 or so.  Cocktails a bit less.

It also includes fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.  Bottles of water all day long.

4  - 5 drinks total per day will make it worth it.

Plus the convenience.  No slips to sign. No slips to keep track of. No lists of drink after drink to check for errors.

5 hours ago, Digjharper said:

Am I correct in saying that if you purchase the drinks package for an upcoming cruise, you have to pay straight away and you are not permitted to wait until your final invoice needs to be paid?

Correct.  However you can cancel for a full refund up to 3 days before the cruise.

6 hours ago, Digjharper said:

Am I correct in saying that if you purchase the drinks package for an upcoming cruise, you have to pay straight away and you are not permitted to wait until your final invoice needs to be paid?

29 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Correct.  However you can cancel for a full refund up to 3 days before the cruise.

Yes, and you can cancel and rebook if you see it at a lower price, before that 3 day window.

This is also true of shore excursions, dining packages, internet packages.  Buy now, pay now.  See a lower price, cancel and rebook.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, boscobeans said:

REMEMBER, to get one with and one without alcohol you MUST do it over the phone as the cruise planner will NOT allow it.

So kind of a follow up question to this...

If I purchase the deluxe and refreshment over the phone today, and then see a lower price next week - do I have to call to cancel or will it show up on my Cruise Planner and I can cancel it online?

I guess I would just feel weird calling them back to say - I need to cancel the beverage packages I purchased....and now, I would like to repurchase them at the lower price.  Probably my own hang up 😏 but just wondered if anyone has ever done that?

8 minutes ago, salsagrl said:

So kind of a follow up question to this...

If I purchase the deluxe and refreshment over the phone today, and then see a lower price next week - do I have to call to cancel or will it show up on my Cruise Planner and I can cancel it online?

I guess I would just feel weird calling them back to say - I need to cancel the beverage packages I purchased....and now, I would like to repurchase them at the lower price.  Probably my own hang up 😏 but just wondered if anyone has ever done that?

You can normally do this all via the website.  However, if you have a special situation, like one adult wants Deluxe and the other adult opted out of Deluxe and got Refreshment, then this might not be doable via the website.  When you try to rebook, the website will force both adults to have Deluxe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You can normally do this all via the website.  However, if you have a special situation, like one adult wants Deluxe and the other adult opted out of Deluxe and got Refreshment, then this might not be doable via the website.  When you try to rebook, the website will force both adults to have Deluxe.

Yes for sure. Last year both adults in our stateroom purchased the Deluxe package and I cancelled and rebooked online via Cruise Planner several times. This year the situation has changed and one adult does not drink. 

So I know I will have to call and arrange for one Deluxe and one Refreshment. I just wondered how it worked if I wanted to subsequently cancel and rebook.  I'm sure its my own issue feeling weird calling and asking to cancel and rebook in the same breath - but if they allow you to do it online, not sure why the person who answers the phone would give me any trouble 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, salsagrl said:

Yes for sure. Last year both adults in our stateroom purchased the Deluxe package and I cancelled and rebooked online via Cruise Planner several times. This year the situation has changed and one adult does not drink. 

So I know I will have to call and arrange for one Deluxe and one Refreshment. I just wondered how it worked if I wanted to subsequently cancel and rebook.  I'm sure its my own issue feeling weird calling and asking to cancel and rebook in the same breath - but if they allow you to do it online, not sure why the person who answers the phone would give me any trouble 🤷‍♀️

As far as I can tell from reading here, it's normal for them to get these calls.  I would not be concerned about it.

8 minutes ago, BonnieSte said:

These prices are cheap! I am getting $57.00 plus the 18% for the Oasis in April of 2020.

Keep checking or was about 47 or 48 on our Oasis cruise in November and they said it was 25 percent off , that was our first cruise as Diamond plus so we waited till we got on board to get 30 percent so paid about 45 plus 18 percent 

• Like 1

I was told on Mariner that if you purchase in advance, then yes all in the cabin over 21 has to buy a package (you call if you want just a refreshment package for the non-drinker). However, if you wait and purchase when you board the ship, only the drinker in the cabin needs to buy. But onboard pricing is around $63 per day not including the 18% gratuity. But D+ get 30% off, D get 20% off, P get 40% off so for us, it's worth just me getting my package when I board. Yes, I pay a little more even with the discount for my C & A level but I don't have the cost of a non-alcohol package either.

1 minute ago, George C said:

Never heard that diamond gets 20 percent off on board is this new?

no, they don't advertise it, but look at the fine print on the placard advertising buying a drink package when you board. At the bottom they list discounts or ask the bartender.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, George C said:

Never heard that diamond gets 20 percent off on board is this new?

Used to be common, then it went away.  Maybe it's on it's way back?

I'll ask because I was just searching regarding a special situation. I purchased at $49 (cheapest since I booked, I check daily). However, I used OBC as part of my payment. I thought I read in another thread that if I cancel and try to book at a lower price, I won't get the OBC returned. Is that correct? Seems like a terrible business practice if so.....

7 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I thought I read in another thread that if I cancel and try to book at a lower price, I won't get the OBC returned. Is that correct? 

Online OBC used to purchase something, is usually refunded immediately when cancelling said purchase.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

no, they don't advertise it, but look at the fine print on the placard advertising buying a drink package when you board. At the bottom they list discounts or ask the bartender.

Funny how that's not list as a benefit on the CAS flyer.  Gotta love Royals "unadvertised" specials.

And it I understand your post #41, you only have to buy the package for yourself, not every 21+ Year old in your cabin? When purchasing onboard?  That's great!!

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:
1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

I thought I read in another thread that if I cancel and try to book at a lower price, I won't get the OBC returned. Is that correct? 

Online OBC used to purchase something, is usually refunded immediately when cancelling said purchase

I've cancelled and reordered the drink package many times via Cruise Planner and my OBC was always returned immediately.

It was OBC that I acquired using  my VISA card. Not sure if it makes a difference where the OBC comes from, I seem to recall not all OBC is created equal.

• Thanks 1

I'll ask because I was just searching regarding a special situation. I purchased at $49 (cheapest since I booked, I check daily). However, I used OBC as part of my payment. I thought I read in another thread that if I cancel and try to book at a lower price, I won't get the OBC returned. Is that correct? Seems like a terrible business practice if so.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I booked with our OBC on Royal and yes you will get your OBC back if you cancel.   I called and asked this question twice.....just to make sure.   We are going on Adventure of the Seas and the cheapest I am seeing is $49 pp.

Leisa - NY

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

Karen, so the 20% off for Diamonds was on the Mariner?  

Odd.  It was only briefly in existence, and I had not seen or heard anything about its reappearance.