European back to back with same itinerary? Yes or no?

So we are going on Allure, in October of 2020. The ship does the same itinerary over and over again. We said out of Barcelona, then Palma De Mallorca, Marseille France, La Spezia Italy, Civitavecchia Italy, Naples Italy. We are excited about all these ports, and have never been to any of them before. However, I started thinking that this is a long way to fly for just a 7 night cruise. There are no other cruises in Europe the week before that the timing works out for us, and the week after is not possible. 

So, my question is, for those that have done these ports before, do you think it would be a good idea to take a back to back with these same ports? To me it seems like there is a LOT of stuff to see and do, so we shouldn't be bored in the least. We have been on Allure many times, and enjoy all the shows and wouldn't have any issues seeing our favorites a second time.

Advise please? 

If someone says “NO” to doing a B2B cruise in Europe, they must be crazy!

I say YES - do it! As you said, the flight is a huge chunk of change...and you can always do different shore excursions each week that you’re there. 

Life is short - so I say, “DO IT!!”

P.S.

We’re doing something similar next year on Radiance - we’re doing a B2B in Alaska - same ports - but there’s so much to see and do in Alaska, that it was easy to set up different shore excursions for each week that we’re there. I figured if I’m flying to Alaska, I’m going to get my money’s worth! 😉

Have you thought about extending your trip on land? 

You could spend a few days in Barcelona and/or fly into Paris or Rome or any number of cities, spend a few days there and take a cheap flight/train to Barca.   The beauty of Europe is that there are so many cool places a train or $80 plane ride away.  

6 minutes ago, hopebh said:

You could spend a few days in Barcelona and/or fly into Paris or Rome or any number of cities, spend a few days there and take a cheap flight/train to Barca.   The beauty of Europe is that there are so many cool places a train or $80 plane ride away.  

No, we really would rather cruise then do land tours at this time. Cruises are just so easy! But thank you for your suggestion! 

If land is a no go, as you have stated, then it seems perfect.

Barcelona has tons to see and do.

Palma De Mallorca, I've never been but even if there isn't a ton to do I've seen some amazing beach pictures.  Going to the beach twice (hit a different one) is never a bad call.

Marseille France do something educational one time and do something active the other!  They have plenty of both.

La Spezia Italy would be amazing to do twice.  Go East to Pisa (or go crazy and do Florence!) once and go West to Cinque Terre the second.

Civitavecchia Italy - Rome has much to offer

Naples Italy where I'd do Pompeii, Herculaneum & Naples on one visit, but do the Amalfi Coast & Capri on the other.

We did a similar itinerary last year.  We had a great time in all the ports, but in 8 hour or so shore excursions, even though I believe we filled our time well, there is no way we began to exhaust the options of these ports.  I would have no trouble doing the same itinerary B2B.  For example, we went to Pompeii in Naples. We didn't begin to see everything even at that one site.  I want to go back to explore other things at Pompeii.  Plus there is the Isle of Capri we didn't have time to visit and we could spend more time on the Amalfi coast.  Do it.

I was on Harmony on her inaugural European season and met two couples at the M&M who had done precisely this. Their reasoning was that it would give them time to take advantage of all that the ship had to offer and would be more relaxing because they planned to do half of the ports the first week and the other half the second week.

The only thing is they were from the UK, so it would be easy for them to visit all of the ports again on another occasion. I could totally understand you wanting to see as much as possible since you're coming such a long way.

That said, the good thing about the ports on this side of the pond is that there's so much to see you would find it very hard to be bored!

Edited by FionaMG
Sp.

Since it's on the Allure I would have no problem doing it...however if it was on a smaller ship say like Vision, I would not.

Just got off the Vision and probably won't sail her again but we loved the itinerary Med/Greece and wish it had of been on a larger ship. JMHO

Another "yes" vote for the B2B...we learned the value of B2B's from Cruise Critic to save money on airfare.  You can't go wrong...lots of things to do on the ship and definitely lots of options for shore excursions.  Happy Sailing!

6 hours ago, hopebh said:

For sure.  We spent 3 days in Barcelona and could have stayed 3 more days.

56 minutes ago, MSH from Norway said:

........take that cruise, and stay on for the TA. Save you a lot of money, and you can do as much shopping as you want....👍😁

We can't stay on the the TA because A) DH can't take that much vacation time at once. B) Our dog sitter is on the TA! 

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement, we have booked the second cruise! We were even lucky enough to get the same cabin for both legs! 

You have just given me the best idea!! We are planning a Greek Isles cruise out of Rome in 2 years. I figured we'd do the 9 night and maybe another time come back & sail out of Barcelona so I could see France & Florence  We were originally looking at the 12 night out of Barcelona but that cruise sails on the Vision, so a balcony cabin (which I must have) is expensive. Plus I feel I need way more time in Rome       BUT there are 7 night cruises out of Rome that do different itineraries so I could do it all at once!!!

Oh boy, more choices to explore! Thank you & I hope you get your husband to agree 

We are doing a B2B on the Allure next summer.  Had not considered doing that until our Indy 14 day cruise was cancelled for next year.  Doing the B2B was about the same price (not including the credit from the cancellation)  for the 14 day Indy when we first booked. Part of the consideration not to do a cruise on the Allure was that the itinerary next year is very port intensive and maybe we would not have enough time to enjoy what this ship can offer.  But with 14 days, we should be able to do that as well as spend more time in the ports, especially Rome.  Never have done a B2B so a new cruise experience!