Special cruise event causes price jump?

I will start with my general question and then move into specifics:

Is there any place to find out what Cruise Sailings have special events like conferences, comedians, other events going on?

Specific:

Last month we booked a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas (26 June 2020) for 5 nights.  We booked an interior room for $500-600pp for the cruise.  We have some friends that are wanting to go with us on this cruise.  They were still sorting out details and confirming that they would go since this is over a year away. 

The price for this cruise has now jumped to ~$2500pp for an interior room.  The only reason I can come up with for Royal charging $500 per person per night on this boat is some sort of special event going on during this cruise.

Would anyone be able to point me towards any insight into why the price has jumped or what is going on?

Edited by nissan720
Spelling

can't anser your question but I doubt it's anything special going on. That's the way RCI does business. They release prices and as time goes on the prices go up more often than not.

We booked the Harmony about a month ago and the price is up over $500 since we booked.

Seems with every fake sale the prices inch up higher unless there is a kids sail free deal that you can take advantage of.

7 minutes ago, nissan720 said:

Is there any place to find out what Cruise Sailings have special events like conferences, comedians, other events going on? ...

The cruise line does not publicly reveal events like conferences or charters.  Entertainers sometimes have their own websites with their cruise ship schedule,

56 minutes ago, nissan720 said:

I will start with my general question and then move into specifics:

Is there any place to find out what Cruise Sailings have special events like conferences, comedians, other events going on?

Specific:

Last month we booked a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas (26 June 2020) for 5 nights.  We booked an interior room for $500-600pp for the cruise.  We have some friends that are wanting to go with us on this cruise.  They were still sorting out details and confirming that they would go since this is over a year away. 

The price for this cruise has now jumped to ~$2500pp for an interior room.  The only reason I can come up with for Royal charging $500 per person per night on this boat is some sort of special event going on during this cruise.

Would anyone be able to point me towards any insight into why the price has jumped or what is going on?

Something is going on with that cruise.  Every category is closed as opposed to the normal waitlisted with the exception of one Oceanview and one inside cabin category.  In my experience this is an indication that they are in final negotiations with a potential charter.  

I would hold off booking air air as I wouldn’t be surprised if you were to receive notice from Royal in the next 4-8 weeks that this sailing has been chartered.

June 26, 2020 Enchantment sailing is an the Autism of the Seas sailing.  

The Autism of the Seas website shows $1290 PP for guests 1 and 2, interior cabin for your cruise.

This may not be attributing to the prices you see.   Just an observation. 

Edited by BSocial
Clarify

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Something is going on with that cruise.  Every category is closed as opposed to the normal waitlisted with the exception of one Oceanview and one inside cabin category.  In my experience this is an indication that they are in final negotiations with a potential charter.  

I would hold off booking air air as I wouldn’t be surprised if you were to receive notice from Royal in the next 4-8 weeks that this sailing has been chartered.

2 hours ago, BSocial said:

The Autism of the Seas website shows $1290 PP for guests 1 and 2, interior cabin for your cruise.

Thank you both for the great feedback.  I guess we will wait for updates from Royal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I just wanted to post an update.  As of this week the cruise shows up as sold out on multiple travel sites and no longer shows up on the Royal website.

I still have not received anything from Royal but expect that it was chartered out from under us.  

On 6/22/2019 at 6:39 PM, BSocial said:

I wonder if someone needs to tell the people who are booking these cruises they are getting ripped off. I spot checked a few and they are charging as much for an oceanview room as RCCL is charging for a JS online. 

I wonder what special things they are doing to warrant such a price increase?

1 hour ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I wonder if someone needs to tell the people who are booking these cruises they are getting ripped off. I spot checked a few and they are charging as much for an oceanview room as RCCL is charging for a JS online. 

Same thing happens on the various theme cruises, prices seem to be double.

2 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

a lot of times these special interest groups have on board  activities that are geared solely towards their group.. esp  AotS.   things like special  activities for the kids, seminars for the adults, guest speakers, etc.  

a lot of the  'sail with X celebrity' are like that too.. private concerts or meet n greets,  private parties, exclusive amenities.

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

a lot of times these special interest groups have on board  activities that are geared solely towards their group.. esp  AotS.   things like special  activities for the kids, seminars for the adults, guest speakers, etc.  

a lot of the  'sail with X celebrity' are like that too.. private concerts or meet n greets,  private parties, exclusive amenities.

I was wondering that. 

Take the autism cruise. If they are bringing aboard headphones and equipment for a silent disco and other things to make the experience more enjoyable for those on the spectrum, I can see it. 

Some of the cruise with a celebrity ones I don't really get...I supposed it takes some leg work to arrange the schedules and logistics, but they still seem high. Although I would do SIruisXM's Outlaw Country cruise if it didn't happen during tax season.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I was wondering that. 

Take the autism cruise. If they are bringing aboard headphones and equipment for a silent disco and other things to make the experience more enjoyable for those on the spectrum, I can see it. 

Some of the cruise with a celebrity ones I don't really get...I supposed it takes some leg work to arrange the schedules and logistics, but they still seem high. Although I would do SIruisXM's Outlaw Country cruise if it didn't happen during tax season.

In regards to "celebrity" I am not sure if you are referring to Celebrity cruise lines or celebrities.  i.e. rock groups etc.  If it is the latter, then the band wants to be paid.  They are not a charity and are working for a living.  Thus the additional cost for cabins etc to cover the concert charge that the band(s) in question would charge ashore.  

Edited by gatour

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to follow up in case anyone ever finds this thread from a search.

Timeline for our June 2020 Cruise:

Booked Cruise: 27 May 2019 

Discovered Cruise Price Jump: 18 June 2019

Asked Royal about Charter Cruise and Cancellation: 24 July 2019

Royal Responded - No Charter: 24 Jul 2019

• "I am sorry for any difficulty or confusion there has been surrounding this matter. After reviewing your reservation, it looks as though your sailing is simply completely sold out as of right now. Your booking is still intact"

Royal Emails Us- Cruise Canceled: 1 Aug 2019

• Royal sent the standard email with options - Given 4 rebooking options at the same price with $100 onboard credit, any other ship or date at current pricing and $100 onboard credit, or refund of paid funds
  • Only given 15 days to choose or automatic cancellation.
  • Called Royal that same afternoon but the call center hadn't received the update that the cruise was canceled.  

I ended up rebooking on a future cruise with the $100 onboard credit.  This required calling into Royal and several holds on the phone while the call center folks worked out approvals with their supervision.  

On 7/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

Autism on the Seas is a group offering special services:

Staff Assisted Cruises cater to ALL Special Needs Guests regardless of age:

• Children - Travelling with Family
  • Teenagers - Travelling with Family
  • Adults - Travelling with Family, Caregiver or Group Home

Our highly qualified AotS Staff cruises with our guests to provide and coordinate all of the Activities, Respite and Services described below.

• Respite times throughout the cruise provided by our Staff (ratio 3:1 minimum) ranging from 1 to 3 hours at a time.
  • Private sessions for our groups use, together with our staff’s assistance, at most of the ship’s entertainment venues.
  • Reserved seating for shows, so guests do not need to arrive early.
  • Private Muster Drill, expedited boarding and disembarkation.
  • Reserved seating for all meals.
  • Coordinated Beach Excursions with Staff assistance

And SO MUCH MORE…

Totally understandable that there is an additional cost for these cruises when the company is bearing the cost to pay staff to work plus the cost of transporting and housing the staff on the ship, etc.  

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Autism on the Seas is a group offering special services:

Totally understandable that there is an additional cost for these cruises when the company is bearing the cost to pay staff to work plus the cost of transporting and housing the staff on the ship, etc.  

Sadly even Autism on the Seas has been removed from this booking since the cruise was Charted by a private group.  This cruise was available from their website previously but it has since been removed.  

Autism of the Seas offers an amazing service but even they couldn't stop Royal from booking the cruise out from under them.  

3 hours ago, nissan720 said:

Sadly even Autism on the Seas has been removed from this booking since the cruise was Charted by a private group.  This cruise was available from their website previously but it has since been removed.  

Autism of the Seas offers an amazing service but even they couldn't stop Royal from booking the cruise out from under them.  

Yes, but my post was about WHY Autism on the Seas charges more in general, not this cruise in particular.  

The person I quoted thought that they were "ripping people off".... rather, they provide a very valuable service and deserve to be paid for those services.  

On 7/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I have gone on 4 Autism of the Seas cruises and have another booked for next year. We pay the same prices as everyone else for our cruises. AOTS does add a fee on and it varies from ship to ship, length of cruise and other factors. The AOTS staff are volunteers. Basically our fee covers their cabins. 

I feel the fee is reasonable. The staff is made up of people who have extensive knowledge in the world of special education. They are remarkable. Their main goal is to insure the family has a great time. Vacations with people with special needs can be challenging, stressful and filled with anxiety. For many families this is their first family vacation ever. If you read the reviews of AOTS you will see what joy it brings to all involved.

Edited by CTKaren
  • Like 2