I will NEVER buy FTTF Again!!!

ShakyBeef

1 hour ago, cdm289 said:

When Carnival changed their VIFP program a few years ago, the levels were all grandfathered. 

Only Platinum was grandfathered. Golds who did not meet the new qualifications were dropped to Red. In addition, Heald had stated many, many times that anyone who achieved Milestone would automatically be shifted into the highest tier of the new program, now known as Diamond, which clearly did not happen.

55 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I agree with a lot of what you said in your last two posts, but this is definitely not true.  In the last shake-up, when Red Level was created, the levels were not all grandfathered.  Both of my daughters (and many, many other Golds, some of whom have posted on this thread) got bumped down from Gold to Red, and lost perks in that process.  I can imagine Carnival not grandfathering peoples' current status, because it has happened before

I stand corrected.  I was only talking about the grandfathering of Platinum (not Gold) as I was 8 sailings in when they made the changes back in 2013 and was just shy of getting Platinum but didn't complete the 10 required cruises prior to Dec 31, 2013.  Below is some Q&A's found online.  

Q: I have already sailed with Carnival before, and previously received a color-coded Sail and Sign card. Will I be “grandfathered” into that group in this new VIFP Club?

A: Guests who have sailed with Carnival on more than 10 cruises will be automatically included in the Platinum level of the VIFP Club. Additionally, some guests who previously received Platinum cards will now advance to the VIFP Club’s Diamond level. All guests who have sailed with Carnival fewer than 10 times will be placed in the level that corresponds with their VIFP Points (i.e., cruise days). Guests with fewer than 25 VIFP Points will be placed in the new Red level. Those who have earned 25-74 VIFP Points will be in placed in the Gold level. Some exceptions apply; please see below.

Q: I was only a sail or two away from becoming Platinum in the previous recognition program. Is there anything I can do to reach the Platinum level?

A: We understand the investments guests have made over the years, and we’d like to thank and acknowledge guests who were near advancement in the previous program. Any guest that sails at least 10 times by December 31, 2013, will be grandfathered into the Platinum level under the old program rules. And, once a guest begins his/her 10th sailing, s/he will be considered Platinum in the new program on that 10th sailing.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:36 PM, BlerkOne said:

It is why Carnival really doesn't need a loyalty program in the first place. I think they would more likely do away with it, than do as you suggest. The number of complaints would be similar, but the cost much lower, and perhaps savings could be passed on to the customers who like Carnival.

I see no value to Carnival for raising the number of days, or increasing number of levels, and there would be no need for grandfathering.

I've been thinking about this topic, off and on for the last few days, and I've come to an ironic realization, given my chosen thread title:  I think Carnival should do away with the VIFP program altogether.  I, personally, would prefer no loyalty program at all, and instead, the opportunity to purchase the former component benefits of the abolished loyalty program à la carte. 

These benefits could be bundled in packages  based on the type of benefit, such as FTTF as the "skipping the wait" package.  More FTTF would be made available for each sailing than was previously, to allow for the former Plats and Diamonds that would buy it, but it would still be quantity-controlled to keep it functioning as it should.  I haven't fleshed the whole thing out, and I really don't care to - it's just an idea and not my job. 

Herein lies the irony of this post: if this were to happen, I will gladly eat my words of "I will NEVER buy FTTF again!!!"  - I would, without hesitation, buy it for every cruise under a no loyalty program system.  And I would buy other 'cruise experience enhancement' packages, as well, if they suited my needs and wishes.

Doing away with the VIFP program would seem to be in line with Carnival's business model, as well.  It seems something needs to be done.  And you're right, BlerkOne, there is going to be complaining either way.  At least this way, Carnival stands to make more money as a result of the changes.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 10:19 AM, ShakyBeef said:

I've been thinking about this topic, off and on for the last few days, and I've come to an ironic realization, given my chosen thread title:  I think Carnival should do away with the VIFP program altogether.  I, personally, would prefer no loyalty program at all, and instead, the opportunity to purchase the former component benefits of the abolished loyalty program à la carte. 

These benefits could be bundled in packages  based on the type of benefit, such as FTTF as the "skipping the wait" package.  More FTTF would be made available for each sailing than was previously, to allow for the former Plats and Diamonds that would buy it, but it would still be quantity-controlled to keep it functioning as it should.  I haven't fleshed the whole thing out, and I really don't care to - it's just an idea and not my job. 

Herein lies the irony of this post: if this were to happen, I will gladly eat my words of "I will NEVER buy FTTF again!!!"  - I would, without hesitation, buy it for every cruise under a no loyalty program system.  And I would buy other 'cruise experience enhancement' packages, as well, if they suited my needs and wishes.

Doing away with the VIFP program would seem to be in line with Carnival's business model, as well.  It seems something needs to be done.  And you're right, BlerkOne, there is going to be complaining either way.  At least this way, Carnival stands to make more money as a result of the changes.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Now wait a gosh darn minute. Before we get carried away here, I just need to know one thing. With this new idea of yours, I still get to be a Very Important FUN Person, right?

• Haha 1

Here is an option to consider.  it's just my idea that I came up with reading this thread.

If CCL gave you the option to join a new loyalty program across all lines, would you take a bump down to the next lower level?  In other words, if you are Platinum on Carnival, to go with the CCL brand loyalty, you would be the equivalent of Gold across all lines, including Carnival.

How many might consider such a move?  This might be one way to reduce the number of P/Ds.

Edited by cruzincat50
Puncuation

On 6/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, ShakyBeef said:

The biggest problem with the current VIFP program, which has been stated by JH and other Carnival leaders many times, is there are too many Platinums. On one hand it’s not a bad problem to have, because it shows a lot of people cruise on Carnival over and over again. But on the other hand, when it gets to the point that so many people have “priority” status, no one really has priority. 

I don’t have access to numbers like Carnival does, which would obviously impact making a drastic decision like eliminating the VIFP program. But let’s say they eliminate the program and it upsets people to the point that every current D&P decides to never cruise on Carnival again. Carnival would still survive in this scenario, but there is no way they would continue to come close to filling 26 ships (and growing) to capacity. 

Of course the possibility of every D&P never cruising on Carnival again is as likely as Carnival eliminating their VIFP program.  While I firmly believe Carnival’s main focus is on the new or inexperienced cruiser, they still need to have some program in place that at least gives the appearance that they appreciate loyal passengers. 

On 6/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, ShakyBeef said:

I've thought about this for awhile, and I think I mostly agree.  I'd like to see a scaled back version of the VIFP program- maybe include water for all returning cruisers.  And then maybe at a certain level, you get a drink coupon.  And that's pretty much it.  I'd also expand FTTF to include other perks- maybe an included bag of laundry, maybe a FTTF gift.  Basically, you can choose to have perks, or not.  

Cutting the included perks, saves Carnival money to the point the number of cruisers at each level matters less.  And expanding FTTF allows Carnival to keep increasing the prices for it, which are constantly going up anyhow. 

1 hour ago, purplephenom said:

I've thought about this for awhile, and I think I mostly agree.  I'd like to see a scaled back version of the VIFP program- maybe include water for all returning cruisers.  And then maybe at a certain level, you get a drink coupon.  And that's pretty much it.  I'd also expand FTTF to include other perks- maybe an included bag of laundry, maybe a FTTF gift.  Basically, you can choose to have perks, or not.  

Cutting the included perks, saves Carnival money to the point the number of cruisers at each level matters less.  And expanding FTTF allows Carnival to keep increasing the prices for it, which are constantly going up anyhow. 

2 hours ago, purplephenom said:

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Sorry about the "non" post.  I broke my arm and things just go wrong when you try to do things with your non dominate hand. Lol. I ran out of time to edit. In retrospect, I am glad that I didn't post my original thoughts. The short answer is that I believe that loyalty programs are important. That includes airlines, hotels, and cruise lines. They need to be and are tweaked along the way to control numbers and costs. I don't think that any company nowadays allows their bottom line to be adversely affected by any programs they sponsor.  This is definitely an interesting thread and the topic of eliminating a loyalty program is something I don't believe I've seen before.     

Let me ask this question. Since there are too many people that have priority boarding, what would you do if people who dont have this benefit try and use it. Example would be one stateroom having Plat or diamond but insist the other staterooms travelling get priority as well, even if this is you family members?? This happens ALL THE TIME. 

3 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Let me ask this question. Since there are too many people that have priority boarding, what would you do if people who dont have this benefit try and use it. Example would be one stateroom having Plat or diamond but insist the other staterooms travelling get priority as well, even if this is you family members?? This happens ALL THE TIME. 

I know it happens all the time.  Many entitled people don't think the rules should apply to them.  I  don't approve of this rule breaking and have never attempted it.   Nor would I ever.  I have had Priority boarding on every cruise for the last decade or so (booking Suites and FTTF).  When we have family and friends who are 'non-priority' cruising with us, we simply meet up with them once they are onboard.  I wouldn't dream of trying to get more people in on my Priority "ticket".  But then, I also would never smuggle alcohol, share the Cheers! or Bubbles package, or buy Zone 1 luggage tags or Havana Area wristbands on eBay.🙄  I guess I'm an oddity around here - an honest person who doesn't cheat and believes the rules apply to me as well as everyone else.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 8:08 PM, ShakyBeef said:

Thanks.  That's what I thought (and hoped!), after reading several reports to that effect here on CC.  But Carnival said it was not the case.  I called my PVP and asked him.  He didn't know and so he transferred me to the VIFP department.  The very nice lady there also didn't know, and looked deeply into all her literature / whatnot, and still couldn't find the answer.  So she put me on hold while she called some higher-up muckety-muck who finally gave the answer that I would not have my Platinum status until the first day of my second leg, despite what others had experienced.  I was disappointed, but accepted it and resolved to buy FTTF one last time. 

My sailings are definitely linked as a BTB - I confirmed this with my PVP when I booked.

I haven't read through all of the thread.  However, have you checked your documents & luggage tags to see if they say PRIORITY on them?

• Like 1

Just now, Sparky2 said:

I haven't read through all of the thread.  However, have you checked your documents & luggage tags to see if they say PRIORITY on them?

My luggage tags for the first leg have the FTTF logo,  and my luggage tags for the second leg (which I guess I won't even need:classic_laugh:) do say Priority.   But wouldn't they say Priority anyway, because I'm in a Suite and have Priority Boarding with that?  Oh!  No!  Wait!  I'm just realizing something, I think, thanks to your prompting  -- since Suites don't get Priority baggage, but do get Priority Boarding, my docs would say "Priority" (which they do), but my luggage tags would not (but they do!).  Does this mean that they upgraded me to Platinum sometime between when I last looked at our VIFP status (which still read GOLD for all four of us for the first leg) on the docs and when I last looked at the tags?!  I'm rushing over to Carnival site to find out...

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

My luggage tags for the first leg have the FTTF logo,  and my luggage tags for the second leg (which I guess I won't even need:classic_laugh:) do say Priority.   But wouldn't they say Priority anyway, because I'm in a Suite and have Priority Boarding with that?  Oh!  No!  Wait!  I'm just realizing something, I think, thanks to your prompting  -- since Suites don't get Priority baggage, but do get Priority Boarding, my docs would say "Priority" (which they do), but my luggage tags would not (but they do!).  Does this mean that they upgraded me to Platinum sometime between when I last looked at our VIFP status (which still read GOLD for all four of us for the first leg) on the docs and when I last looked at the tags?!  I'm rushing over to Carnival site to find out...

Do your docs for 1st leg show PRIORITY?  If so, you won't even need FTTF at all.  Keep us posted.

3 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Don't keep us in suspense... what did you find out???

Edited by StolidCruiser

7 minutes ago, Sparky2 said:

Do your docs for 1st leg show PRIORITY?  If so, you won't even need FTTF at all.  Keep us posted.

6 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Don't keep us in suspense... what did you find out???

OH MY GOSH!  DH and I are listed as PLATINUM now, on our first leg docs as well as on our 2nd leg docs!  Once again, CCers were right and Carnival didn't know what they were talking about (even though the person i spoke to was very nice and put a lot of effort into finding the answer).  But now, the question is, will we stay Platinum, or will Carnival fix their "mistake" and demote us back to Gold for the first leg?  I'm afraid to let go of the FTTF.  We were listed as Gold for our first leg last time I looked at the docs.  I feel like they could "take it back", even though so many here have said that this is the way it works - you turn the next level on embarkation day of the first leg.  I think I'll hold onto the FTTF for a few months and see if there is a shake-up with the VIFP program, or if I lose my preemptive Platinum status through any other means.

Thanks, Sparky2, for prompting me to look into this!

:classic_smile:

Edited by ShakyBeef
spelling

2 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

OH MY GOSH!  DH and I are listed as PLATINUM now, on our first leg docs as well as on our 2nd leg docs!  Once again, CCers were right and Carnival didn't know what they were talking about (even though the person i spoke to was very nice and put a lot of effort into finding the answer).  But now, the question is, will we stay Platinum, or will Carnival fix their "mistake" and demote us back to Gold for the first leg?  I'm afraid to let go of the FTTF.  We were listed as Gold for our first leg last time I looked at the docs.  I feel like they could "take it back", even though so many here have said that this is the way it works - you turn the next level on embarkation day of the first leg.  I think i'll hold onto the FTTF for a few months and see if there is a shake-up with the VIFP program, or if I lose my prememptive Platinum status through any other means.

Thanks, Sparky2, for prompting me to look into this!

:classic_smile:

Keep checking your PRIORITY status up until shortly before your cruise.  I doubt if they'll take it away.  However, you can always cancel FTTF shortly before your cruise if everything appears OK.  Glad I was able to help.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I know it happens all the time.  Many entitled people don't think the rules should apply to them.  I  don't approve of this rule breaking and have never attempted it.   Nor would I ever.  I have had Priority boarding on every cruise for the last decade or so (booking Suites and FTTF).  When we have family and friends who are 'non-priority' cruising with us, we simply meet up with them once they are onboard.  I wouldn't dream of trying to get more people in on my Priority "ticket".  But then, I also would never smuggle alcohol, share the Cheers! or Bubbles package, or buy Zone 1 luggage tags or Havana Area wristbands on eBay.🙄  I guess I'm an oddity around here - an honest person who doesn't cheat and believes the rules apply to me as well as everyone else.

Same here, and i agree with you. The very same people who complain about too many Platinum and Diamond guests are the same people who break the rules....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

OH MY GOSH!  DH and I are listed as PLATINUM now, on our first leg docs as well as on our 2nd leg docs!  Once again, CCers were right and Carnival didn't know what they were talking about (even though the person i spoke to was very nice and put a lot of effort into finding the answer).

Some people get blasted for asking a question on here first, rather than calling Carnival first. This is a good example of how it can pay off to come here first. Well, you did call them, but they gave you bad info. compared to here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Some people get blasted for asking a question on here first, rather than calling Carnival first. This is a good example of how it can pay off to come here first. Well, you did call them, but they gave you bad info. compared to here.

Actually, I asked here, first, months ago on another thread.  I have seen reports here for years that this was the way it is done, but had also seen others say it is not.  I couldn't get a satisfactory consensus here, so I went to Carnival to see what they would say (even though I knew I wouldn't necessarily be able to rely on whatever answer I got from them).  I'm very pleased it turned out this way.  And I will hang onto my FTTF until the last minute, to ensure that I get the benefits that I want, in case they do revoke my Platinum status.:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

Actually, I asked here, first, months ago on another thread.  I have seen reports here for years that this was the way it is done, but had also seen others say it is not.  I couldn't get a satisfactory consensus here, so I went to Carnival to see what they would say (even though I knew I wouldn't necessarily be able to rely on whatever answer I got from them).  I'm very pleased it turned out this way.  And I will hang onto my FTTF until the last minute, to ensure that I get the benefits that I want, in case they do revoke my Platinum status.:classic_biggrin:

This seems like something that happens often enough that it should be known throughout the Carnival customer service universe. Or at least have the answer readily available for reps to find. So the fact that you went through as many people and departments as you did, and they didn't know and finally gave you what was (apparently) the wrong answer, it's just sad. Especially since you spoke to your PVP and an apparent supervisor.