Azamara Toiletry Campaign

CA Oceanfront

Glad to know that they are considering switching to large dispensers. This is a small step but one that is needed to help reduce the amount of plastic waste.  I like  Elemis toiletries but my favourite is the Bvlgari supplied on Oceania.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I might be imagining this, but have a feeling there are plans afoot with Azamara to do away with the one use plastic bottles and have personal aluminium bottles with a hygienic dispenser system. 

Phil

I’d really like that!

27 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I might be imagining this, but have a feeling there are plans afoot with Azamara to do away with the one use plastic bottles and have personal aluminium bottles with a hygienic dispenser system. 

Phil

Would be very happy with that it would be a really positive move.

As an aside on Oasis they had the new paper straws which were truly horrible, made us realise why do we need straws at all?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Would be very happy with that it would be a really positive move.

As an aside on Oasis they had the new paper straws which were truly horrible, made us realise why do we need straws at all?

I think Brits are very comfortable not having straws (long ago you only got them at kiddy birthday parties). The servers we know, know not to give us straws, I like think I’m a big girl now and don’t need one. However  even this month I heard a guest from elsewhere harranging a server to get her a straw and to rant about the fact any cocktail bar where they lived knew to bring a straw.  

• Like 1

There are so many areas where single use plastic can be eliminated but it does require cooperation from passengers and the willingness to return or reuse items. Maybe with the recent global publicity of the problem passengers may be willing to compromise rather than just say it’s the cruise lines cutting costs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We received the pack of toiletries last week and have both been ‘testing’ them, still got some more showers/baths to go but Elemis is coming out on top, can’t abide the Peppermint soap and shampoo of Malin + Goetz, but each to their own. Of course we have favourites, like the Molton Brown on Seabourn but applaud Azamara for the idea of using dispensers and choosing a known make to use in them.  I personally hate fiddly little bottles with small writing that can’t be read in the shower when I haven’t got my glasses on!

I also agree that getting rid of the plastic water bottles would be a great step forward, on Seabourn this year we were given cardboard Tetrapack type water bottles instead of plastic(at least until they ran out and then it was back to plastic). We now take aluminium bottles on our holidays and refill them without issue in many resorts, but on the ship they currently get filled from the plastic bottles in our stateroom. A proper refill station would be a great improvement and I like the idea of replacing the tote bag with with a branded aluminium water bottle instead. 

Edited by Azamarajunkie
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I welcome that new products are being checked out.  I’m not so keen on the dispenser idea, smacks of budget chain not premium if I reflect on land based experiences but I do agree maybe different coloured lettering on bottles would help. 

Agrée about the dispensers, definitely low budget in my opinion, I really dislike them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I welcome that new products are being checked out.  I’m not so keen on the dispenser idea, smacks of budget chain not premium if I reflect on land based experiences but I do agree maybe different coloured lettering on bottles would help. 

Personally I would support a dispenser. For me it’s about the quality of the product. If we had a quality product and were able to eliminate the single use plastic which continues to devastate the planet then it’s a win/ win situation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisingaussies said:

Agrée about the dispensers, definitely low budget in my opinion, I really dislike them.

I see the dispensers as the least of a few evils.  They’re preferable to hundreds of little single-use bottles, and wildly preferable to those little foil and plastic envelopes that are impossible to open with wet fingers.  Another option would be large, freestanding bottles, topped up after every cruise, but I can see a few problems with those.  There will always be a few people who would take them home, and worse, a few malicious people who might add something other than shampoo or shower gel for the next cruiser.

As long as the dispensers look nice, are easy to use and securely fixed to the wall, I could work with that.  Some years ago, on RCCL, I was chased around the shower by a heavy but surprisingly lively and aggressive dispenser that fell off the wall.  I had a colourful selection of bruises to show for that too!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

This subject is, frankly, subjective.  We had to throw out the L'Occitane stuff they gave us on Windstar because the strong smell drove my wife crazy.  The ship had to buy odor-free stuff for us in Greenland, of all places.  Not an easy assignment.  And the finicky little flip tops on the L'Occitane shampoo and conditioner containers are difficult to manipulate in the shower.  But some think they look classy.

Never had an issue with About Rose or Eco-Boutique.  In my view, people are too hung up on brand names.

Not everyone likes the same things.  I had a horrible time when they had About Rose. I spent the whole cruise with watery eyes. It would be better for most people that they choose a fragrance free hypo-allergenic product. 

Kudos to Windstar for getting you a fragrance free product. Windstar is the best at accommodating their guests. They never say NO.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gymfreak said:

Personally I would support a dispenser. For me it’s about the quality of the product. If we had a quality product and were able to eliminate the single use plastic which continues to devastate the planet then it’s a win/ win situation.

Couldn't agree more.  This business about "it isn't classy enough for ME" grows old.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Riocca said:

No problem with dispensers as long as they are kept clean, in good condition and topped up.

I agree, one of our forthcoming holidays is to a luxury resort in the Maldives, they use dispensers for obvious reasons of keeping pollution to a minimum in the marine environment. It’s whats in the dispensers that counts. 

• Like 2

On our Uniworld river cruise in 2015 we were given aluminum water bottles rather than single use plastic bottles.  Certainly Azamara could do the same--lots of publicity if they stamp them with the logo, as Uniworld did.

We also vacation at all-inclusive resorts that no longer provide straws, so I usually bring a couple stainless steel straws, and also a double-walled stainless steel cup that I take to the bar for water or soda.  I brought them on our Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago, too.  I used the cup, but they were still providing straws (heavy duty paper that worked well).

Just last week I purchased some double-walled water bottles that will be coming along on our Azamara cruise in October.  I'm looking forward to my water staying cold on excursions now.

I also received the package of skin products from Azamara to evaluate.  I researched each product's content on the EWG website to see what harmful chemicals they contained.  Elemis had almost no harmful chemicals, but Malin +Goetz contained many of them.  So it was a no brainer for me--Elemis won hands down.  I have very sensitive skin and some autoimmune skin  problems and would not use the Malin+Goetz, but would use  the Elemis products (sparingly) that Azamara is considering.

Edited by travelinjudy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

I have taken in the last couple of cruises, my own stainless steel water bottle and refill it from windows refill station as I need it.....I'm trying to do my bit.....

Hopefully you fill a clean glass then pour it in your bottle 😷

4 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Hopefully you fill a clean glass then pour it in your bottle 😷

Got it covered, I use a collapsible silcon refilling funnel so I don't make a mess for the hardworking staff. Such as image.png.d587483e10539168e6cf67db166f575e.png

...and I take a set of stainless steel straws, if in the rare event I need a straw.....

Edited by aussie travel bird
  • Like 4

On 6/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, BBMacLaird said:

Hi CA oceanfront,

What you've received is from our Hotel Department. AZAMARA is dedicated to improving our sustainability, both ashore and onboard the ships, and and looking for guest preferences re. the in room amenities. 

We do thank you for your help. 💕

All the best,

Bonnie

P.S. I wish I'd received the samples to try!

What precisely is “sustainable” about a mass market mailing of plastic bottles?  

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

What precisely is “sustainable” about a mass market mailing of plastic bottles?  

It’s only to try the products.  After all, they can’t really send you a dispenser to try, can they? 😁  I do see the irony, though.

4 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

It’s only to try the products.  After all, they can’t really send you a dispenser to try, can they? 😁  I do see the irony, though.

1,800+ people combined on board the 3 ships each week to try the products from dispensers and provide feedback.  No need whatsoever for a mass mailing of plastic if “sustainable” was truly important - and not just a marketing buzz word.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

1,800+ people combined on board the 3 ships each week to try the products from dispensers and provide feedback.  No need whatsoever for a mass mailing of plastic if “sustainable” was truly important - and not just a marketing buzz word.

It wasn’t a mass marketing though, quite selective I’d say. I’m ok that they are getting considered feedback from some regulars. More cost effective market research and whether we like the final choice or not, we can say at least they checked out with some guests. 

• Like 4