Nibbles during Happy Hour

jwh

Are any hors d'oeuvres or nibbles served during Happy Hours?  What are the 'normal' hours that happy hours operate (from reading this board it seems no ship has the same ' normal' for most important things like this 🙂 ) but I am sailing on Zaandam if this is  relevant.  Just hoping that there might be something to nibble on if there is a pre-dinner happy hour slot.  If not, are snacks available for purchase at the same bar.   Oh, and one last question... is Happy Hour always accompanied by Team trivia?  Thanks in advance for any responses.

On Zuiderdam in April-May, in the Crows Nest, little carafes of peanuts were always or almost always placed on our shared table at happy hour. Sometimes a rectangular plate of maybe three different things (hors d'oeuvres) would also appear. Not reliably enough to count on getting you through to dinner!

Since the Crows Nest on Zuiderdam is now also the Exploration Cafe, it would seem that there should be baked goods for sale, but -- and we fairly lived there, as our cabin was on the same deck -- I cannot remember seeing that even in the morning espresso times.

Happy hour may be 4-5pm in one venu followed by 5-6 somewhere else. Like Crows Nest and Ocean Bar or vice versa. That was the pattern on other ships namely the Nieuw Amsterdam. I can't remember if that was a pattern on Zaandam last year in Alaska -- the drill really gets internalized when you have many seadays, not so much when you have a port every day or every other day. Also it's easy to overlook when you have the beverage package and "every hour is happy hour". 

As far as trivia, it happens, but I'm not sure if it's timed to happy hour because the lounges are busy enough with the HH crowd, they may not even want to try to have them coincide. Your daily newsletter, placed on your bed the night before, will be your friend!

There was a time when Happy Hour and Trivia were at the same time -- that is long since been done away with.

On our last few cruises Trivia was at 5 and 7 -- we eat early so had to give up that activity.

Happy Hour on the ships we were have sailed recently was at 4 - 5 in the Crow's Nest and Ocean Bar and then another one late in the evening.  Peanuts and/or gold fish were served.  Once in a while we got a hot appetizer -- very rare.

There are no snacks for sell at any of the bars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We virtually always are offered a small plate of three apps in either Crows Nest or Ocean bar.  We usually go to early HH @ 16:00.

That was my experience also except it was not a small plate.

Annie

I asked for hor d's a few times on  Zandam in Ocean Bar   duirng cocktial hour priror to late dining  b ut never was served any.  Maybe because I was a solo seated at the bar?  I left and   did not return  More trouble than it was worth  IMO

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

Don't know about Happy Hour, but if you sit at the bar in Zaandam's Sports Bar, you are likely to be offered some appetisers by a friendly bartender. 

Perhaps but I wanted to go to Ocean Bar, thus the reason I chose to sit there.

On the Nieuw Statendam, the Grand Dutch Cafe has some delicious small bites throughout the day and evening, and also more snacks from around 4:30-8pm.

While not on the When and Where, the Navigator listed a Sip & Savor daily at 5pm.  They never updated the selection, so I’m not sure what all was offered and I never had opportunity to go. In the past, I could get the appetizer without the drink.

Happy Sailing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Perhaps but I wanted to go to Ocean Bar, thus the reason I chose to sit there.

I so agree with you Sails!! We asked also to no avail. We moved over to Pinnacle Bar and wow service and Poo poo’s! (Appetizers) given to us and no asking!

Denise😊

• Like 1

On Maasdam we had happy hour every day at 4pm and 9pm in Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest. Cannot comment on Ocean Bar since I never went there. But trivia was at 4pm in the Crow's Nest so was concurrent with happy hour. Peanuts and plates of appetizers were offered to the folks who ordered beverages at the 4pm happy hour only (may have been peanuts at 9pm, don't remember, but apps only at 4).

It seems to vary by the ship, i.e. the Hotel Director, the Bar Manager, the Cuisine Operations Manager, and whomever on the executive level that is involved in such decisions.

Official Happy Hour times in whatever Lounge, the nibbles should be available.  I have been offered some outside of the "official" hours at the Ocean Bar when there were leftovers.  (And, they were still warm and good.)

Peanuts, "formal nuts",  so named by a deceased  long time HAL cruiser,  which are a nice assortment of mixed nuts, should be offered on Gala/Formal Nights, and, upon request, the Goldfish crackers are aboard if the staff chooses to "fish" them from the storage rooms.

Happy Hour is a buy one and get another for $2,00.  It used to be the second one was only priced at $1.00.  Inflation, I guess.  Or ???

It's still a good deal and sharing the time with your fellow cruisers with nibbles being served, what is not to like?

• Like 1

Last week on the Eurodam the Ocean Bar passed out complimentary small plates during HH, as long as you had ordered a drink.

We tried the Crow's Nest HH "once" as it was way to crowded.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

It seems to vary by the ship, i.e. the Hotel Director, the Bar Manager, the Cuisine Operations Manager, and whomever on the executive level that is involved in such decisions.

Official Happy Hour times in whatever Lounge, the nibbles should be available.  I have been offered some outside of the "official" hours at the Ocean Bar when there were leftovers.  (And, they were still warm and good.)

Peanuts, 

"formal nuts",  so named by a deceased     [/quote]

LiZ  B?,      I think that was her name long time HAL cruiser,  which are a nice assortment of mixed nuts, should be offered on Gala/Formal Nights, and, upon request, the Goldfish crackers are aboard if the staff chooses to "fish" them from the storage rooms.

Edited by sail7seas

On the Maasdam May/June the Ocean bar 4:00pm HH had small plates for all. Crows nest at same time provided peanuts only.

The 7:00pm trivia was held in the Spirits and Ales bar area and included a HH which was NOT "advertised". Peanuts were provided.

It's been my experience on several different ships, that if you frequent the same bar regularly (and perhaps have the same bartender or waiter/waitress), you tend to get hot apps offered.  Peanuts have usually been at all the tables and on the bar.

Can anyone recommend a good bar

On 6/30/2019 at 3:35 PM, syesmar said:

On the Nieuw Statendam, the Grand Dutch Cafe has some delicious small bites throughout the day and evening, and also more snacks from around 4:30-8pm.

While not on the When and Where, the Navigator listed a Sip & Savor daily at 5pm.  They never updated the selection, so I’m not sure what all was offered and I never had opportunity to go. In the past, I could get the appetizer without the drink.

Happy Sailing!

Thank you for mentioning Sip & Savor...sounds very intriguing.  

Would like to take part on my upcoming Nieuw Statendam cruise. Does anyone know if it includes all wines from the regular wine list or only a small daily selection?