New Seaday Brunch Menu

On 7/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, MisterOJ2 said:

There is. Skillet cake = pancake.

We had the new menu on Horizon.  I totally missed the pancake and waffles. 

The skillet cake was not great. It was like a thick, dry pancake. Wasn't sure what they were thinking. We also tried that 12-hour French toast. Not good either. Way overdone. Too much. 

On Horizon, they were really pushing the fresh juices.  The server insisted I try a little of it, poured some in one of our empty glasses. I tasted it. I said it was good. Then he expected me to buy a full glass. .... well, i actually don't like juice with my breakfast.  

My son tried the fried chicken. Nothing special about it. 

I didn't like it that I had to pick between a croissant and whatever other kind of bread ahead of time.  Didn't all those all just come in a bread basket before? 

We enjoyed the regular menu so much better than this new menu.  

On 7/5/2019 at 12:27 PM, coevan said:

isn't that what OJ from concentrate is?

A few years ago, America's Taste Kitchen did a test taste of OJ from concentrate and OJ not from concentrate.  The winner was OJ from concentrate.  They explain why this result turned out.

Oranges destined for OJ, are primarily harvested in Florida, and it happens once a year.  During this time of year, the  oranges get made into concentrate and frozen.  Others are sent to warehouses and made into OJ throughout the year.

While in the warehouses the oranges deteriorate, so the OJ made from them are less flavorable

The concentrate is held at a very cold temperature thusly keeping the "freshness" factor in play.  Of course the variable is quality of water and the amount.

Getting this back on track to cruises.  The free OJ is shlock.  The issue nowadays is that it is watered down, due to the ice that they put in the cups to make in cold along with the "base" being low quality.  Think, ordering a glass of wine and putting ice cubes in it.  On a warm/hot day, being outside, I would consider putting ice in a cheap house wine.  However I would never consider doing it with a high quality wine.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

While in the warehouses the oranges deteriorate, so the OJ made from them are less flavorable

What are you talking about? We serve fresh squeezed OJ and it's not even close to concentrate, fresh squeezed any day.

Edited by coevan

The new seaday brunch menu was on the Legend last week. You do have to order your breads etc as there is now no basket. I found the menu acceptable but miss the flaming tomato soup. They did push the fresh squeezed juices. Got a bagel and asked for smoked salmon on the side like they used to do and they accommodated me.

Edited by n6uqqq

On 7/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, cocomango said:

We had the new menu on Horizon.  I totally missed the pancake and waffles. 

The skillet cake was not great. It was like a thick, dry pancake. Wasn't sure what they were thinking. We also tried that 12-hour French toast. Not good either. Way overdone. Too much. 

On Horizon, they were really pushing the fresh juices.  The server insisted I try a little of it, poured some in one of our empty glasses. I tasted it. I said it was good. Then he expected me to buy a full glass. .... well, i actually don't like juice with my breakfast.  

My son tried the fried chicken. Nothing special about it. 

I didn't like it that I had to pick between a croissant and whatever other kind of bread ahead of time.  Didn't all those all just come in a bread basket before? 

We enjoyed the regular menu so much better than this new menu.  

LOL, so you loved the brunch?  How was the toast?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, coevan said:

What are you talking about? We serve fresh squeezed OJ and it's not even close to concentrate, fresh squeezed any day.

Have you ever done a double blind taste test with your fresh squeezed OKJagainst a properly prepared concentrate?

In addition, oranges, lemons, and lime that are to be stored for long term storage are coated with wax.  So when you serve fresh squeezed OJ, I am guessing that your oranges are not being completely washed to remove the wax.  Just "rinsing" under a faucet doesn't remove the wax.  You have to scrub them, so in addition to the old oranges your customers are drinking wax.

Again as I said above, the free OJ is shlock, and the fresh squeezed is better.  Fresh vs concentrate is not necessary better.

Btw: the amount of "pulp" is no indication of quality,  it more of personal preference.

I am just saying what America's taste kitchen reported.  Every recipe I have used from the America's Test magazines have been spot on, unlike Fine Cooking, Bon Apetite, and the late Gourmet.

On a side note, I was born in Florida, and have lived in Florida for most of my years.  

34 minutes ago, gatour said:

a properly prepared concentrate?

and you know this how? 

35 minutes ago, gatour said:

I am guessing that your oranges are not being completely washed to remove the wax

lot's of assuming here. We buy fresh squeezed OJ, yes it available commercially and is excellent. Serving it for 27 years, never heard anything but how delicious it is. 

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, so you loved the brunch?  How was the toast?

If you are asking about the 12-hour French toast, it was the equivalent of 4 slices of bread that weren't sliced and drenched in syrup. 

I also missed the salted caramel cheesecake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cocomango said:

If you are asking about the 12-hour French toast, it was the equivalent of 4 slices of bread that weren't sliced and drenched in syrup. 

I also missed the salted caramel cheesecake. 

I was actually talking about plain ole toast and hoping there was something you DID like.....

17 hours ago, CruisingViper said:

so what's everyone verdict on their favorite item from the new menu?

My favorite was the fried chicken. I know someone up thread said it was nothing special. But, I can't disagree with that more. It was great. It was seasoned perfectly. I loved it. I let my wife try a *small* bite and she did too. So much, that when they had friend chicken on the MDR menu that, she ordered it. And was disappointed about how it wasn't even close to the same chicken I had at brunch.

Her favorite new thing was the yogurt parfait. But, it wasn't just a brunch menu item. It is on the regular breakfast menu too. It is awesome though.

5 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Pardon the stupid questions, but I know little about Carnival..... Is this in the main dining room? Does it start  just after breakfast hours end and end when lunch times start?

Brunch is in the main dining room. It's an either/or situation though. There's either brunch or breakfast in there each day, never both. Brunch is on sea days and starts a little later and goes till like 1 pm. Breakfast usually starts earlier and is shorter - only 2-3 hours or so.

2 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

My favorite was the fried chicken. I know someone up thread said it was nothing special. But, I can't disagree with that more. It was great. It was seasoned perfectly. I loved it. I let my wife try a *small* bite and she did too. So much, that when they had friend chicken on the MDR menu that, she ordered it. And was disappointed about how it wasn't even close to the same chicken I had at brunch.

Her favorite new thing was the yogurt parfait. But, it wasn't just a brunch menu item. It is on the regular breakfast menu too. It is awesome though.

Brunch is in the main dining room. It's an either/or situation though. There's either brunch or breakfast in there each day, never both. Brunch is on sea days and starts a little later and goes till like 1 pm. Breakfast usually starts earlier and is shorter - only 2-3 hours or so.

Thanks!