Curious about "summer" clothes in cooler climates

surgie

I have been on tropical cruises to the Caribbean and Panama Canal and always bring along "summery" clothing (such as sundresses, Tommy Bahama prints, etc.) for sea days, excursions and dinners. But wondering if that is typical when the early August cruise is to colder climates (Norway, Iceland). I know I'll need layers and jacket and pants for excursions rather than summer clothing.  But what about on the ship? Is it typical to see "summery" women's attire? I know I can wear whatever I'm comfortable with...just trying to get some ideas for packing - thanks. 

Edited by surgie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, surgie said:

I have been on tropical cruises to the Caribbean and Panama Canal and always bring along "summery" clothing (such as sundresses, Tommy Bahama prints, etc.) for sea days, excursions and dinners. But wondering if that is typical when the early August cruise is to colder climates (Norway, Iceland). I know I'll need layers and jacket and pants for excursions rather than summer clothing.  But what about on the ship? Is it typical to see "summery" women's attire? I know I can wear whatever I'm comfortable with...just trying to get some ideas for packing - thanks. 

It’s good that you know you’ll need warm clothing/outerwear (don’t forget waterproof)!  You’d be surprised how many people just don’t think about that...

Wear whatever you want; summery is just fine but be aware that it will be cool ON the ship too.  At least I have always found that to be the case on the numerous trips we’ve taken to both the northern extremes and southern.  I typically will wear a sweater to dinner and quite often, a fleece around the ship during the day.

Linda R.

• Like 2

Think layers so you can adjust to the temps.  There are lots of doors that open and close and places to walk from inside to outside within a few steps most anywhere you go on a ship.  If you want to wear summery stuff, make sure you have a wrap or a jacket handy, too.

• Like 1

I think we might be on the same cruise. You'll see me in the dining room in  Hawaiian print cotton dresses with a sweater/pashmina over my shoulders. It's what I packed two years ago for a Baltic cruise and was perfectly comfortable. And of course, lots of potential layers for off the ship in Iceland, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

On cruises to the Baltic, etc., it has been rare for us to see people wearing summer clothes in August like sundresses, etc.  Clothing has been more along the line of fall clothes while on the ship.

Or Spring 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, surgie said:

On my Rotterdam voyage in May, one of the exterior doors on the Lower Promenade did not close properly. Strong winds blew into the corridor. Made the cabins quite chilly. 

(49,642 posts to go)

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, janmcn said:

On an Iceland, Norway trip now....40’s and 50’s so far. Ship is cold so glad for long sleeves and sweaters on board. DR dress is my wool pants and sweater top. 

Thank you!  This helps us, as we are leaving on the Voyage of the Vikings in two weeks.

You will love it... on the Zuiderdam now doing the Passage of the Vikings with similar ports to V of V which we did a few years ago. Love all the ports. In Shetland today, 50’s. Not sure if you do that . Iceland coming up. 

Have quilted puffy jacket and light rain shell and multi-pocket travel vest. Can use any combination of them. Today vest, long sleeve turtleneck and outer rainshell (wind mostly today).  Ship is always cool-cold.

You may want one lightweight summer outfit for daytime, as that itinerary can have some sunny, warm days. But for the most part you will need heavier clothes, even on the ship.
Evenings, of course, you can wear your usual evening cruising outfits. Inside the ship will be like any other itinerary in terms of temperature.