No flip flops in the dining room?

libbykt

6 hours ago, robc1972 said:

Always funny to see how what other people wear on vacation has an impact on other peoples meals.

Maybe Cunard would be more your liking if shorts, a hat or flip flops has an impact on your dining experience.

I think it's more about respect. I would never go to a fine dining restaurant in shorts, T, and flip flops. We travel A.I.'s more than cruising and I can tell you long pants means long pants. The do have beach bars and the buffet for casual dining but they easily uphold their rules. If Carnival chooses not to abide by it's own rules so be it, but you can still dress in a respectful manor. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:18 PM, GTO-Girl said:

I wear my sparkly flip flops....problem solved!

Always wear mine on Carnival, Royal and Disney and never had a problem.

Did the same and I got a look, but wasn't stopped from going in dining room. My feet were so swollen it was really my only choice. 

I never expected this to garner so much attention. Carnival's rules aside, I'm trying to figure out if this is geographical or generational or something else. I am in my 40's and belong to a country club with a fairly strict dress code, and I'm guessing that at least half the women wear dressier flip flops for regular evenings out. 

Dressy flip flops work wonders when I can't wear dress shoes. I've done black sneakers with my dress slacks too. My husband still does the black sneakers with his dress pants. I have one pair of dressy shoes if I choose to wear a dress, but of course right after dinner I'm done with them.

I tell you something.....on our first cruise a rather portly fellow was in the lido buffet with nothing more than a speedo on that was i'm guessing two sizes too small...🤮

So a woman wearing flip flops in the MDR is of no concern to me at all!

4 hours ago, libbykt said:

I never expected this to garner so much attention. Carnival's rules aside, I'm trying to figure out if this is geographical or generational or something else. I am in my 40's and belong to a country club with a fairly strict dress code, and I'm guessing that at least half the women wear dressier flip flops for regular evenings out. 

The country club I frequent doesn’t mind flip flops.

13 hours ago, coevan said:

I think it's more about respect. I would never go to a fine dining restaurant in shorts, T, and flip flops.

If you consider the MDR on a Carnival boat as a fine dining establishment you don't know what fine dining is.

The steakhouse could be considered fine dining.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, libbykt said:

Any time there's a question about dress code, people definitely have opinions.  🙂  I'm several years older than you, a lifelong Floridian (now living on the beach) and I live in sparkly flip flops.  I just call them sandals - problem solved.  In fact, on Amazon, when I type in Yellow Box Sandals, my favorite flip flops come up so I'm comfortable with my decision to wear them in the MDR.  😎

• Like 3

16 hours ago, midcarolina said:

I tell you something.....on our first cruise a rather portly fellow was in the lido buffet with nothing more than a speedo on that was i'm guessing two sizes too small...🤮

So a woman wearing flip flops in the MDR is of no concern to me at all!

Lol! Well I was on the Horizon over the July 4th holiday and they were asking those in swimsuits at Lido buffet to put clothing on! The one lady I saw was very unimpressed! That said, the swimsuits 🙈😂

Edited by lensonlife
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:12 PM, xDisconnections said:

Living in South Florida for almost 15 years now, I pretty much only own flip flops at this point and they are widely accepted at fine dining locations where I live.

Seems familiar...? At least the brand ambassador says it’s ok to wear them in case anyone was concerned.

CDD4A820-5B85-4D0F-9DDF-60BBC9151985.png

Edited by xDisconnections

I think there is a big difference , at least in my mind, between flip flops and sandals. At least from my experience, what I usually seen worn in the MDR at night I would consider sandals. In my book flip flops are cheaper “shoes” that most people wear at the beach or around a pool area. 

We call them slippers and while I live in them I enjoy the opportunity to dress more 

fanciful even if still casual when traveling. Of course carnival is more receptive in my experience than some other lines.  I also observe my fellow travelers and dress accordingly. When in Rome.....

16 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think there is a big difference , at least in my mind, between flip flops and sandals. At least from my experience, what I usually seen worn in the MDR at night I would consider sandals. In my book flip flops are cheaper “shoes” that most people wear at the beach or around a pool area. 

Hence the problem.  Depending on person flip flops can mean the cheap rubber pool shoes only or can mean any sandal not secured to ones foot.   

• Like 1

We lived 17 years in Key West and I only owned Havainas flip flops (love them!). Some were "fancy" and some were plain. Never, ever had a problem in the Dining Room on 15+ CCL cruises. Now that we live in Lisbon though, can't wear them. The cobblestone streets, hills and stairs, especially when wet from rain, would cause multiple broken bones trying to wear flip flops! I'm looking forward to my Med cruise to be able to wear them on the ship. Otherwise, I only wear sneakers that are for walking/hiking. Too old for broken bones!

• Like 2

We go according to the rules of any venue, but that's us. Whatever people choose to wear is their choice alone. These days, things like recommended dress codes, everyday simple laws and rules that are broken, etc. bear no consequence whatsoever; everyone has their excuse/reason ready, so wear what you like, it doesn't really matter.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

These days, things like recommended dress codes, everyday simple laws and rules that are broken, etc. bear no consequence whatsoever;

on Carnival, these days has nothing to do with dress codes. These days at an upscale A.I., if they require slacks, you will not enter the restaurant in shorts

22 minutes ago, Tyhunt said:

Why not just follow their rules?  Just saying.

I happened to come across the dress code while looking for something else, or I never would have seen it and would have been on the ship with only flip flops and sneakers as I have done my previous 2 cruises, packing only flip flops for Mexico or the Bahamas. Hence my question, because it never occurred to me that flip flops were unacceptable as it's all I have ever worn on a ship. Now I understand that I should wear my running shoes with my dress and I will be in line with dining room rules.

Adding Just saying at the end of a comment doesn't make it any more helpful. Just saying.

• Like 2