No flip flops in the dining room?

libbykt

4 hours ago, amyotravel said:

You haven't. Jamman has cruised a lot and said: " Is that rule enforced, sometimes." I would not chance it because it could be an issue. And it could be easily avoided.

Guess I chanced it 200+ times too many in cruise ship dining rooms...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modes said:

They will not be looking at your feet.

True. On one cruise, I got some horrible blisters after doing excessive walking in shoes I hadn't worn in a while. I ended up wearing my black water shoes to dinner (on elegant night no less) because I couldn't walk in anything else. No one said a peep. If they had, I would have told them the long boring story and I am sure I would have been able to proceed without changing. 

Seriously though, take care of your feet. Cheapo flip flops are a recipe for disaster. My mom used to be obsessed with them and now thanks to them, she has fallen arches and has to wear clunky shoes with expensive custom orthotics every day. Anyway, I digress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, libbykt said:

It's a little crazy. By the way the rules are written, I could wear water shoes or my son's athletic slides. I feel like maybe everyone doesn't define flip flops the same way. 

Thanks for the replies. I promise we won't be in baseball hats or ripped jeans (or athletic slides) but I might be wearing my Clark's leather flip flops that are much more comfortable than the sandals posted! 

The MDR is supposed to be a bit more like going to a nice restaurant than just sitting at a Chilibees or your local hamburger joint.
Plus, they are trying to keep people from just wandering in wearing their bathing suit or pajamas.

As far as your leather flip flops, as others said those are probably more akin to sandals than a pair of dollar store beach boots, so you're probably good.
I'd still bring a pair of sneakers maybe or actual sandals, just in case.

Have fun on your cruise!

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t care what others where.  

But there are flip flops and there are flip flops.  If these are the exact same flip flops you wore to the beach earlier in the day, they probably don’t belong in the MDR for dinner.  On the other hand if they are the fancier kind that you wouldn’t dare wear to the pool because you don’t want to ruin them.  Than they are fine.

• Like 1

I have no problem with anyone wearing flip=flops wherever they want.  As someone, mentioned before, please be careful. 

I almost fell multiple times in the pool area of various ships while wearing flip-flops because of wet, slippery areas. 

And then I had to give them up completely. I was wearing flip-flops at home and one caught on a stair. I went flying down about six steps, smacked my head on the floor, cutting open a big slit above my eyebrow.  Hello ER and plastic surgeon. 

So, just be cautious. Thanks and enjoy your cruise. 

14 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Maybe they should reword the rule to say no thongs in the MDR at dinner and see what people do with that (for those who are too young to know, flip flops used to be called thongs).

That's true and I was reminded of it when someone above mentioned that "flip flops" didn't exist when they were young. In fact, in my part of the world back in the day, we called them "go aheads" because it was really, really hard to walk backward while wearing them!  :classic_biggrin:

8 minutes ago, joepeka said:

That's true and I was reminded of it when someone above mentioned that "flip flops" didn't exist when they were young. In fact, in my part of the world back in the day, we called them "go aheads" because it was really, really hard to walk backward while wearing them!  :classic_biggrin:

suddenly, I have the urge to put on some flip flops and try to walk backwards.

I really think the MDR dress code boils down to "please change your clothes before you show up for dinner, don't wear what you wore to the beach."  

• Like 4

First off, my Dad will be wearing a hat and has Carnivals permission, unless you would like to see the very gross surgery he just had a month ago for a brain tumor(yes he is recovering great), It will make sure, if you see it, you will have ZERO appetite, 2nd so called Dining rooms are equal to chiliebees, or it is exactly like the end of the year in my kids  baseball, they have a banquet with dinner and it is exactly like Carnivals MDR's. There is nothing fancy at all about Carnivals Dining, although our family always loves the food and always get a great waiter. So if your sitting at a table with my father and ask him to take off his hat be prepared.

Edited by repo-cruiser
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, repo-cruiser said:

First off, my Dad will be wearing a hat and has Carnivals permission, unless you would like to see the very gross surgery he just had a month ago for a brain tumor(yes he is recovering great), It will make sure, if you see it, you will have ZERO appetite, 2nd so called Dining rooms are equal to chiliebees, or it is exactly like the end of the year in my kids  baseball, they have a banquet with dinner and it is exactly like Carnivals MDR's. There is nothing fancy at all about Carnivals Dining, although our family always loves the food and always get a great waiter. So if your sitting at a table with my father and ask him to take off his hat be prepared.

I think that most reasonable people understand that there are circumstances under which wearing a hat to dinner is acceptable (such as your dad, others who have medical issues such as cancer patients). 

• Like 1

They will allow people in who have tattoos up and down there arms, piercings of the nose, ear lobs, eye brows or whatever, and they are concerned over a pair of flip flops!!  I would rather look at the flip flops.  It's also rare for them to look at your feet when you enter, they are looking at your face welcoming you into the dining room.