Bottled Water and other questions

mkcurran

I'm seriously eyeballing an April Summit sailing from San Juan, but I have questions. 

I poked around the Celebrity website and couldn't find a place where I could order bottles of water to a room in advanced. Did I miss it?

Also no shorts in the dinning room, at least for dinner?

Early morning food options---we are early risers, might even be worse coming from the west coast to the Caribbean, will the buffet have coffee and some sort of food out early? 

Coffee, tea, and drinking water are free from the buffet right?

What's the ice cream situation? 

Thanks for helping me out here. I over think and over plan everything.

The good news is buffet on summit is excellent, I would bring large refillable water bottle. We did see people in shorts at dinner in mdr, but others will say they have seen them turned around. I would not attempt to wear shorts for dinner in mdr , buffet is fine for shorts. 

• Like 1

- Ice cream (the Most Important Question the OP asked!!) is in the Oceanview buffet and is great....and free.

- The buffet has tea and coffee free - Lavazza type which is vey nice. Not the syrup-coffee many Lines serve. 

- The buffet breakfast opens early - I forget and earlier than I Ever Got Up!. And there’s room service that starts 6am and is a good breakfast. 

- An earlier post said they saw shorts in the MDR for dinner.....not allowed so bring a set of pants. It’s listed as not acceptable via rules. I’ll leave it at that. 

- The ship sells water bottles and you can bring a case of water/soda if you want along with two bottles of wine per SR. The water on board is just fine. We bring water bottles and fill them as needed. 

Enjoy!

Den

I'm seriously eyeballing an April Summit sailing from San Juan, but I have questions. 

I poked around the Celebrity website and couldn't find a place where I could order bottles of water to a room in advanced. Did I miss it?

I don't think this is possible.  You can get a water package, or a soft drink package, and pick up bottles of water at any bar throughout the day.  Room service is not included in any beverage package, so don't just call up room service to have water delivered -- there will be a hefty fee.

Also no shorts in the dinning room, at least for dinner?

That's correct -- no shorts at dinner.  For breakfast, you would be ok with short in the MDR.

Early morning food options---we are early risers, might even be worse coming from the west coast to the Caribbean, will the buffet have coffee and some sort of food out early? 

Coffee is out 24 hours a day.  They start putting pastries out around 6 a.m. usually.

Coffee, tea, and drinking water are free from the buffet right?

Right

What's the ice cream situation? 

Free ice cream from lunch until sometime in the evening at the buffet.

15 hours ago, George C said:

There is a very nice thread of someone doing a live feed from summit, you can ask questions there. We enjoyed our cruise last year on summit.

I am following that one closely. Can't believe the balcony furniture. 

15 hours ago, Denny01 said:

The ship sells water bottles and you can bring a case of water/soda if you want along with two bottles of wine per SR. The water on board is just fine. We bring water bottles and fill them as needed. 

I'll be able to bring on a case of water? If that's the case...sweet!  Really just want a stockpile to take off the boat on port days. Having something to drink keeps me out of the bars longer. 😉

59 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Thank you everybody for answering the questions. 

Happy to hear about the ice cream...and yes that is the most important of the question...that could have been a deal breaker. 

The ice cream is made on the ship and many flavours change daily. Some you may only see once. I love it!!  they also have sugar free but not made on the ship and I don't bother with it as it is artificial sweetener. Usually if you see a flavour on the evening MDR menu it will be at the booth the next day. there will be frozen yogurts and sorbets as well

• Like 1

Someone on another recent thread said that they were not allowed to bring a case of water as part of their luggage as they had in the past. The porter refused to accept it. This was for the Summit leaving from Cape Liberty. I know RCCL has now limited you to 12 bottles of soda/water as carry-on only, so maybe Celebrity is going this way also. Anyway, you can bring the case of water but just be aware they may not allow you to bring it on board.

Along with the ice cream at the Oceanview, there are also a variety of toppings(and if you don't want the ice cream you can get a cup of the toppings--which are often chopped up candies, nuts and M&Ms--alone), and on my last sailing, there were cookies available too.  Coffee, tea and juice is available 24 hours, and not only pastries but cut fruit is available around the 6am hour.  Full breakfast begins around 7am.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Someone on another recent thread said that they were not allowed to bring a case of water as part of their luggage as they had in the past. The porter refused to accept it. This was for the Summit leaving from Cape Liberty. I know RCCL has now limited you to 12 bottles of soda/water as carry-on only, so maybe Celebrity is going this way also. Anyway, you can bring the case of water but just be aware they may not allow you to bring it on board.

I'll be waiting to see what the reports are from San Juan this winter.

🙂

On 7/13/2019 at 12:29 AM, Turtles06 said:

I don’t know why people schlep water onto a ship. The drinking water that the ship makes is fine. Just bring a refillable bottle.  

Because the last thing I need to worry about when we go ashore is whether or not we can keep track of the refillable bottles all day long. When I have to buy a new at at $5-10 each, it's gets rather expensive. Instead I like to have a couple bottles that can easily be recycled/thrown we we are finished with them for each port day. 

In most of the Caribbean ports there are locals selling bottles of water for $1 along with beer and soft drinks out of coolers trying to make a few dollars.  You can also purchase some out of the refrigerated coolers in the small stores.   I always buy a beer to to drink as we walk to town, in town and back to the ship as to is allowed in  most places.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Because the last thing I need to worry about when we go ashore is whether or not we can keep track of the refillable bottles all day long. When I have to buy a new at at $5-10 each, it's gets rather expensive. Instead I like to have a couple bottles that can easily be recycled/thrown we we are finished with them for each port day. 

Are you buying any of the beverage packages? The non-alcohol package is $18 per day and includes bottled water, Coke products, premium coffees and teas (Think Cafe al Baccio here). You can grab as much as you want and store it in your room fridge to stay cool and not have to worry about getting it the next day.

6 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Are you buying any of the beverage packages? The non-alcohol package is $18 per day and includes bottled water, Coke products, premium coffees and teas (Think Cafe al Baccio here). You can grab as much as you want and store it in your room fridge to stay cool and not have to worry about getting it the next day.

As we are not big soda drinkers, probably not. 

32 minutes ago, miched said:

In most of the Caribbean ports there are locals selling bottles of water for $1 along with beer and soft drinks out of coolers trying to make a few dollars.  You can also purchase some out of the refrigerated coolers in the small stores.   I always buy a beer to to drink as we walk to town, in town and back to the ship as to is allowed in  most places.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hmm....If there are people readily selling beverages at the ports, this might be a game changer. Time for more research. Recent experiences in the Mexican Riviera taught me that packing my own water in 2 of 3 ports was a good idea. Margaritas are easy to find in Cabo...bottled water....is pricey and rarer.  

15 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Hmm....If there are people readily selling beverages at the ports, this might be a game changer. Time for more research. Recent experiences in the Mexican Riviera taught me that packing my own water in 2 of 3 ports was a good idea. Margaritas are easy to find in Cabo...bottled water....is pricey and rarer.  

There was also a area in Little Switzerland store that had a ice cooler with beer and water free for the taking.  Dont remember what island.  In many stores if they think you are interested in something they will offer a free bottle of water or beer.  Done it many times.  Part of the cost of doing business but a few times it ended up costing me for those free beers.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 7:10 PM, mkcurran said:

As we are not big soda drinkers, probably not. 

you also have the option of choosing the beverage package as a perk when you book the cruise. That would include bottled water, soda, alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees. For me picking that perk is worth it just by how much water I drink during the day. They will always have a person when you disembark selling them so you can take them on shore with you. I also always stockpile some in my room and have the steward empty the minibar so I can put them in there.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, snyniew said:

you also have the option of choosing the beverage package as a perk when you book the cruise. That would include bottled water, soda, alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees. For me picking that perk is worth it just by how much water I drink during the day. They will always have a person when you disembark selling them so you can take them on shore with you. I also always stockpile some in my room and have the steward empty the minibar so I can put them in there.

Yes, all of this.  Even when someone isn't a soda or alcohol drinker, picking the drink package perk(when available) sometimes makes a lot of sense.  There is no rule that one absolutely must drink alcohol, beer, or soda when using the package and if regular unlimited access to premium coffee and tea, canned juices, bottled water, energy drinks, or smoothies is appealing, the package makes sense(of course when ordering upscale waters and energy drinks, one must pay the difference plus gratuity if they have the classic package)after doing the math and seeing if it's worth adding when booking.

Even when we didn't have a package, we requested that the minibar be cleared out.  It gave both peace of mind that there would be no diputes about anything taken, and we used to bring cases of soda with us when sailing out of our home port (Cape Liberty).

Edited by cocobakerchica

2 hours ago, snyniew said:

I am most likely going to book with no perks. The numbers just don't add up to pay extra. If I thought I would drink more than one or two alcoholic drinks a day I might do the two free perks when booking. 

19 hours ago, mkcurran said:

I am most likely going to book with no perks. The numbers just don't add up to pay extra. If I thought I would drink more than one or two alcoholic drinks a day I might do the two free perks when booking. 

It's not just the alcoholic drinks. I can get my moneys worth out of what I drink in bottled water as I can drink 10+ a day as well as the specialty coffees, smoothies, and other canned drinks (not always soda). Can also get the virgin drinks as well. Everyone is different and makes their own decision but just because it says alcohol package doesn't mean it only covers that. Add up what you may think you'll drink in a day and see how it may stack up.