Travel Protection plan

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

I don't remember.

The situation was that she was not going to recover.  So no real need to transport, except to avoid a death aboard and the paperwork

Very sorry to hear that.

On a related note....be sure to check your confirmation page if you make any changes to your reservation.  On several occasions, during the last year, I have had to make minor changes to existing reservations, including changing cabin locations and adding in prepaid tips.  I always ask for an updated confirmation be sent to me via email. 

On every one of them, though I never requested it, nor did I book it originally, they added "Vacation Protection Package".  Each time I had to call them back to have it removed.  Me thinks something is fishy...and it did not come from the sea.  😮 

35 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

NEVER PURCHASE TRAVEL INSURANCE THRU THE CRUISE LINE AND, IN MOST CASES, THRU TRAVEL AGENTS.

Why do you recommend not using a travel agent to purchase travel insurance? There are several vendors that only sell their insurance plans via travel agents.

Travel insurance is a major money maker with commissions of 30% or more.  I have found that some travel agents do not understand travel insurance particularly the requirements for previously existing medical conditions.  You really need to do your homework when buying travel insurance!  Not saying all travel agents do not sell good travel insurance!  Look for high medical evacuation coverage and preferably primary medical coverage?  Use a website like Insuremytrip.com to evaluate multiple policies and compare to what your travel agent is offering.

20 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Very sorry to hear that.

She was 87, traveling, having her glass of wine, expounding on her views of the world.  A second later, she was gone.  Body passed 5 days later.

Not a bad way to go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

NEVER PURCHASE TRAVEL INSURANCE THRU THE CRUISE LINE AND, IN MOST CASES, THRU TRAVEL AGENTS.

Why not?

The insurance the cruise line sells is not from them.  They are acting as a broker.  Same with a TA.  And the same with a 3rd party insurance broker like Trip Insurance Store or Insure My Trip.

Shop around for the best price on the coverage YOU need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Why not?

The insurance the cruise line sells is not from them.  They are acting as a broker.  Same with a TA.  And the same with a 3rd party insurance broker like Trip Insurance Store or Insure My Trip.

Agree. Getting good/great travel insurance coverage at a reasonable rate is easy online with minimal effort.

7 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

Travel insurance is a major money maker with commissions of 30% or more.  I have found that some travel agents do not understand travel insurance particularly the requirements for previously existing medical conditions.  You really need to do your homework when buying travel insurance!  Not saying all travel agents do not sell good travel insurance!  Look for high medical evacuation coverage and preferably primary medical coverage?  Use a website like Insuremytrip.com to evaluate multiple policies and compare to what your travel agent is offering.

Sorry...but disagree. Out TA is well versed on travel insurance and has no allegiance to just one company. The measly amounts we've paid for travel insurance with great coverage (beyond what the cruise lines offer) was a bargain every time. Could care less what the commission is...the coverage and low premiums were both very desirable.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:26 AM, Coralc said:

Third party travel insurance is horribly expensive when you are the age of the OP. I wouldn't buy it. Starting at about age 65, you start pricing out of 3rd party insurance. Cruise line travel insurance is really your only reasonable option. 

I wouldn't worry about it. Call the company and see if they will apply the premium now. But if they don't, please don't stress over it. It is travel insurance, and hopefully nothing will happen, and it won't bankrupt you if you have to cancel or need treatment onboard. 

If there is a minor incident, either before you travel or onboard, hopefully the insurance will cover it. If for some reason they don't, and you have to cancel the cruise, you will at least receive a 75% credit for a future cruise. 

Do you have a Medicare supplemental policy that will help with medical out of the US? Unless you want to spend an inordinate amount of money on travel insurance, I don't think you will find a policy that will cover all of your possible expenses. 

Thanks, Coralc, you actually responded to my original post. 

I intend to call the insurance company tomorrow to see why the discrepancy between what RCI says and what the insurance company requires exists. That’s what’s bugging me. Makes no sense. 

On 7/12/2019 at 5:45 PM, FLACRUISER99 said:

Call another rep because I have done this. You can also buy direct.

I called my big box today and asked for a supervisor. 

She called Royal and got it straightened out. 

My big box agent was not at fault, it was at Royal’s end and now it’s fixed. Yay!

DH says now I can find something else to worry about!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

I called my big box today and asked for a supervisor. 

She called Royal and got it straightened out. 

My big box agent was not at fault, it was at Royal’s end and now it’s fixed. Yay!

DH says now I can find something else to worry about!

Great news.

13 hours ago, SRF said:

Why not?

I have been on 35 cruises and purchased insurance 35 times   Moreover I used to sell cruises.b Insurance from Cruise line usually has low coverage and frequent offers a credit in future cruise rather than cash back!

10 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Sorry...but disagree. Out TA is well versed on travel insurance and has no allegiance to just one company. The measly amounts we've paid for travel insurance with great coverage (beyond what the cruise lines offer) was a bargain every time. Could care less what the commission is...the coverage and low premiums were both very desirable.

I clearly said SOME TAs!

On 7/12/2019 at 3:47 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

As I said before, there is no reason to buy this insurance before final payment, because you are fully refunded until then provided fare is refundable

Nope. The OP stated they bought this insurance early in case of change in health between booking and final.  But it does assume that they are going to have a problem before or during cruising that will require an insurance refund.  You are partially correct - if the problem occurs before final there isn't any need for insurance.  After final, if health changed since the payment they can get all their money back since there are no health preconditions which would negate a payment.  And there are no preconditions that would prevent payment during the sailing.

Fortunately the OP got their payment credited to insurance instead of toward the cruise.  Others have reported the same problem.

I've booked my insurance through insuremytrip.com and have done so for many cruises.  I have also had to use it a few times.

A few years ago my husband developed pneumonia a couple of weeks before the cruise and our doctor would not allow him to travel, so we had a claim with that.

I fell on a cruise and ended up with a broken elbow, hematoma etc and I needed to see a doctor for more x-rays after I debarked.  The cruise line had an ambulance waiting for me and I was transported to a hospital and  the x-rays were done.   My blood pressure was also very high with this so I was treated for that as well at the port of debarkation.

My sister and I were going on a cruise from Ft Lauderdale and we left to go to the cruise 2 days before the cruise.  I was flying from Upstate NY and my sister was flying from Nashville.  I got to Baltimore and my flight was delayed, delayed, delayed.  It was the day there was a shooting at FLL airport and all flights were cancelled.  My airline sent me to Orlando, and my sister was sent there as well. 

The insurance paid for our hotel, rental car, meals, tolls and everything else for us for that night and the next day when we drove to Ft Lauderdale.

I started buying insurance when my parents were getting "old" and felt we may need to fly home from a port if something happened to them.  After they passed, we continued to get insurance for every trip.  I just look at it as part of the price of cruising and I won't travel without having a goodly amount of insurance for medical evacuation nor will I get a policy that doesn't pay as primary.

I don't think the cruise line insurance has enough coverage for me to be comfortable.

Another option would be to use a credit card with good travel insurance benefits. Check out the Chase Sapphire card. It costs $95 a year (first year free), but it pays for itself with one trip. No, it doesn't include medical insurance, but that's relatively cheap to buy and you can even choose to get it with no deductible for a small additional cost through something like insuremytrip.com.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:09 AM, Giorgi-one said:

I have been on 35 cruises and purchased insurance 35 times   Moreover I used to sell cruises.b Insurance from Cruise line usually has low coverage and frequent offers a credit in future cruise rather than cash back!

Yes, I agree, their coverage tends to be lower, but they also do not underwrite for age.

How can a 3rd party insurance (and the insurance that RCI sells is 3rd party) pay you in FCC???????????

RCI does NOT insure you.  They are selling a group policy from one of the travel insurance companies.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:31 AM, SRF said:

One option to check, is to price the insurance with a $0 trip cost.  You will not have coverage for the cruise fare if you have to cancel, but you will have the better 3rd party limits for medical and evacuation.  

Thank you, SRF!  I never thought of the $0 trip cost option!  Your advice has solved my problem. 

We always buy the cruise line insurance because we book so far in advance.  We order the ship's insurance at time of booking and we are covered for "cancel for any reason".  (Yes, I know it's only 75% of the cost of our cruise toward the purchase of another cruise.)  We do not have to pay for the insurance until final payment.  So, if we cancel before final payment we lose nothing.  With most other insurance policies you must buy your insurance within two weeks of booking your travel in order to get the "cancel for any reason" waiver.  Then, if you cancel your travel before final payment you lose your insurance payment.  For our January 2020 cruise we ordered the cruise line's insurance when we booked the cruise and (thanks to SRF's advice) we will purchase a higher quality medical/evacuation insurance policy just before our cruise for less than $100 for the two of us.