Indian Menu

SilvertoGold

I noticed on Roger's website a copy of the 7 day Indian menu.

Does anyone have info about how this works?  Do you commit for all 7 nights?  Or one night at a time when you want? Presume this is sort of special order, so you would ask for this the night before?

Any info would be appreciated.

15 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Does anyone have info about how this works?  Do you commit for all 7 nights?  Or one night at a time when you want? Presume this is sort of special order, so you would ask for this the night before?

Where on his website do you see Indian menus?  I couldn't find them.

Roz

17 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I would like to know this too.  We love Indian food!!  

I haven't been on HAL but on Carnival and P&O, being veggie, they automatically offered the Indian Thali to me - at the end of the meal, they would ask did I want Indian the following night (even when the veggie menu wasn't Indian). It was a different veggie curry each night with bread, raita, dal, papadums etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

Here is the link for the Indian Vegetarian Menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/indian-vegetarian-menus-7-day

Thanks, Crew News.  I noticed Roger labeled it as Indian Vegetarian, but in fact there's a non-veg entrée each evening, such as Lamb Vindaloo.  Regardless, the menus look delicious.

13 hours ago, shudie said:

I haven't been on HAL but on Carnival and P&O, being veggie, they automatically offered the Indian Thali to me - at the end of the meal, they would ask did I want Indian the following night (even when the veggie menu wasn't Indian). It was a different veggie curry each night with bread, raita, dal, papadums etc. 

Shudie, I've sailed on Carnival, and each evening in the MDR there's an Indian vegetarian option on the menu.  Most cruises I have that once or twice for something different.  It's very good.  As you said, it's a different curry each night.

Roz

• 4 months later...

If people are still wondering, I cruised Zaandam in August, and there is an Indian menu (with veg and non-veg dishes) that you need to special request. I believe you need to alert the dining room the day before, but you don't need to commit to eating only Indian food all week. When we found out about the menu the last night at dinner and asked politely, they were able to bring us a vegetarian Indian entree (though not necessarily the one from the menu), and it was very good and flavorful, and everyone who ate it agreed it was delicious -- even the meat eaters.

4 hours ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

If people are still wondering, I cruised Zaandam in August, and there is an Indian menu (with veg and non-veg dishes) that you need to special request. I believe you need to alert the dining room the day before, but you don't need to commit to eating only Indian food all week. When we found out about the menu the last night at dinner and asked politely, they were able to bring us a vegetarian Indian entree (though not necessarily the one from the menu), and it was very good and flavorful, and everyone who ate it agreed it was delicious -- even the meat eaters.

Delete

Edited by Crew News

We were on the Zaandam from Montreal through to Rio in October and November,  we ate from the Indian Menu several times. We just had to order one day ahead, the server will bring you a copy of the next evenings indian menu and you just tick off what you would like, no more commitment than that, the food was superb and portions were larger than we wanted. Service was as fast or faster than the regular menu. I'm a brit so grew up eating curry and have successfully converted my French ex-fiance to Indian food, we  both love it especially the vegetarian options, which are so much better than boiled to extinction veggies typically served with. western cooking proteins. 

Enjoy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old mike said:
1 hour ago, old mike said:

I'm a brit so grew up eating curry and have successfully converted my French ex-fiance to Indian food, we  both love it especially the vegetarian options

Now that is a very curious description - the ex-fiance part..... :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, old mike said:

We were on the Zaandam from Montreal through to Rio in October and November,  we ate from the Indian Menu several times. We just had to order one day ahead, the server will bring you a copy of the next evenings indian menu and you just tick off what you would like, no more commitment than that, the food was superb and portions were larger than we wanted. Service was as fast or faster than the regular menu. I'm a brit so grew up eating curry and have successfully converted my French ex-fiance to Indian food, we  both love it especially the vegetarian options, which are so much better than boiled to extinction veggies typically served with. western cooking proteins. . 

I love Indian food, but I request mildly spicy when I order at an Indian restaurant, where the food can be fiery hot (at least for my tastes). I know tastes differ, but I'd appreciate comments on the spiciness of the ship's Indian food. Thank you. 

Wow! This is great to know. I live in Asia and eat Indian food at least once a week. 

I was wondering if there was a way that I could  get curries and such to have a variation of foods on my long cruise. And now I know.

I was thinking that with so many of the crew from India and surrounding  countries, that the ship would cook great Indian food for them, so why not for us too! 😊

I assume that I can order Indian food, even with any time dining. Yes?

Edited by Funatabi
added question

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

I hate Indian food..

It's not my preferred cruise food either, but it's not like HAL is pushing it down your throat. You actually have to make an effort by first requesting the special menu and then pre-ordering the night before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

I am wondering why there is such availability of Indian dishes? The majority of dining staff are from Indonesia, and the bar staff from the Philippines.....I never hear of a large Indian presence.

A significant part of the kitchen staff / sous-chefs are from India I believe. Maybe not the majority, but I usually see one or two Indians supervising the buffet in my previous cruises. Others like Copper can verify, but I would imagine the ships have their fair share of engineering / security / logistics staff of Indian origin.

2 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

A significant part of the kitchen staff / sous-chefs are from India I believe. Maybe not the majority, but I usually see one or two Indians supervising the buffet in my previous cruises. Others like Copper can verify, but I would imagine the ships have their fair share of engineering / security / logistics staff of Indian origin.

That is also my impression as well.  As HAL brags, there are many nationalities and religions aboard all living in harmony. 

Many of the PG chefs are from India and probably do not eat meat although they can prepare very excellent steaks.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 7:07 AM, Maya_C said:

I love Indian food, but I request mildly spicy when I order at an Indian restaurant, where the food can be fiery hot (at least for my tastes). I know tastes differ, but I'd appreciate comments on the spiciness of the ship's Indian food. Thank you. 

Hi Maya,

I'm the reverse, I like lip numbing heat and enjoy a "Phall" level, that's a couple of notches above a Vindaloo which is usually the hottest served by most north american restaurants and way hotter than most casual indian cuisine fans would enjoy.

I tried the lamb Vindaloo one night on the Zaandam it was excellent but I found it quite mild for my taste, this is such a subjective aspect of food, my mild is almost certainly your searing heat.  Sorry not much help I know.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-capsaicin-995597

and

https://www.thespruceeats.com/make-a-chile-pepper-less-spicy-4126819

are informative

Mike

Edited by old mike
spelling

On 12/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, Funatabi said:

Wow! This is great to know. I live in Asia and eat Indian food at least once a week. 

I was wondering if there was a way that I could  get curries and such to have a variation of foods on my long cruise. And now I know.

I was thinking that with so many of the crew from India and surrounding  countries, that the ship would cook great Indian food for them, so why not for us too! 😊

I assume that I can order Indian food, even with any time dining. Yes?

Yes, we were anytime dining. 

21 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

I am wondering why there is such availability of Indian dishes? The majority of dining staff are from Indonesia, and the bar staff from the Philippines.....I never hear of a large Indian presence.

FWIW: When we were on Koningsdam last September, the HD was from India : Santhosh Nair. I saw a couple of Indians also among the security staff and guest services counter.