Getting nervous

Thatssofetch

Hi everyone so we did it and booked our NCL cruise for February 2020. I know it’s a ways away, but everyone in my family/his family is getting me nervous about taking a cruise. Saying all the bad things can can happen. I know it’s silly (this is our Honeymoon Cruise). I have been on two cruises before and was fine or course, but now I’m trying  to ease my nervousness. Any advice/tips? Thanks so much. 

Edited by Thatssofetch

Cruising is great and you will have a super time.

Remember, even the best plans for Walt Disney World, the local mall, or back packing across Europe will always have some thing that pops up and you just have to adapt.  Since you've already been on a couple you know what to expect so that experience will help ease you.

Congrats on your wedding!! 

• Like 2

Typical family drama. If they were invited, I would bet that many of them would change their tune.

Sometimes it's good to tell the family to piss off and mind their own business. Particularly, the gossipy busy-bodies who always have something to say about everything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Outerdog--Well said and I couldn't agree with you more.

We have cruised 21 times without any issues except I came down with the dreaded Norovirus on our last cruise.

Thatssofetch---Hope you have a beautiful wedding and honeymoon---Just be careful crossing the street.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Typical family drama. If they were invited, I would bet that many of them would change their tune.

Sometimes it's good to tell the family to piss off and mind their own business. Particularly, the gossipy busy-bodies who always have something to say about everything.

Thank you all for the support. 

1 minute ago, rfkeith10 said:

Outerdog--Well said and I couldn't agree with you more.

We have cruised 21 times without any issues except I came down with the dreaded Norovirus on our last cruise.

Thatssofetch---Hope you have a beautiful wedding and honeymoon---Just be careful crossing the street.

Thank you. The last cruise I went on I didn’t have the best experience as the person I went with got very sick so it kind of ruined our trip. Not sure what it was, I think possible sea sickness. Or reaction to food as that is also adding to the nervousness lol. But I’m going to try again. As they say anything can happen anywhere. 

Hey, cruising has a better safety record compared to a lot of things like...

Bungee jumping...

Scaling Mount Everest...

Wrestling with a bear...

Being an ice hockey goalie... without the face mask...

Marriage...

Oops, forget I said the last one.😬

Relax, tie the knot, take the cruise, and tell your family to sod off.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Hey, cruising has a better safety record compared to a lot of things like...

Bungee jumping...

Scaling Mount Everest...

Wrestling with a bear...

Being an ice hockey goalie... without the face mask...

Marriage...

Oops, forget I said the last one.😬

Relax, tie the knot, take the cruise, and tell your family to sod off.

Lol, thank you. 

18 minutes ago, Thatssofetch said:

Lol, thank you. 

You're welcome.

BTW, the slight rocking of the cruise ship at night really helps with the wedding night........

.... err...... err........ sleep. That's it! The wedding night sleep!!! 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

You're welcome.

BTW, the slight rocking of the cruise ship at night really helps with the wedding night........

.... err...... err........ sleep. That's it! The wedding night sleep!!! 😉

Need to be pretty rough seas to help with that

2 hours ago, Thatssofetch said:

Hi everyone so we did it and booked our NCL cruise for February 2020. I know it’s a ways away, but everyone in my family/his family is getting me nervous about taking a cruise. Saying all the bad things can can happen. I know it’s silly (this is our Honeymoon Cruise). I have been on two cruises before and was fine or course, but now I’m trying  to ease my nervousness. Any advice/tips? Thanks so much. 

Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise. We cruise 4-6 times a year and have never had "bad things" happen (ship sinking, missing ship departure, etc.). 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise. We cruise 4-6 times a year and have never had "bad things" happen (ship sinking, missing ship departure, etc.). 

Thank you. How is it on a cruise ship when it’s snowing? 

Just now, Son of a son of a ... said:

Get insurance for peace of mind.  Travel to port of embarkation the day before, especially in February with risk of snow ... assuming you don’t live near the port.

I live about an hour away from the port. Should I book a hotel closer or do you think it’s okay? 

We started cruising on our 25th wedding anniversary. We had no idea of what we were getting into, but once onboard we were hooked. From then on we cruise every few years and so far have not had any major issues. Unfortunately I think the news concentrates more on the negatives than the positives - for every one cruise ship that makes the news with a failure - there are hundreds out there that sail with out any issues 

14 hours ago, Thatssofetch said:

Sure, going outside can result in a bad thing happening. The last thing they should worry about is something bad happening. Why would they have this feeling? Cruising if you are careful might be one of the safest vacations there can be. 

When you consider how many passengers cruise lines actually transport every year, and how few times we hear about things happening on cruise ships while remembering that TV news LOVES sensationalizing things these days - your likelihood of having a problem is low.  You've made the first step - you've asked questions to try to prepare yourself.  You have suggestions for how to handle certain aspects (I've seen your other threads), take that advice if you are concerned.

I was nervous about my first cruise.  The seas were ROUGH (actually, I responded to one of your threads asking about cruising from NY in Feb) but I didn't get sick despite the ship staff feeling the need to make sea-sick bags available in the stair ways and dramamine available in the medical office.  Don't get too nervous about that kind of report - those were probably exceptionally rough seas as we also sailed through a storm.  One thing to remember - everyone's body handles these kinds of trips differently, one person's "that was nothing" could be another person's "why in the world did I do this?".

Don't overthink it, go, enjoy the cruise.

Is your home  port in a warm climate?  Will you face the possibility of stormy weather?  If so, it might be a good idea to take a hotel room nearby for just in case.

Where will you be cruising to?  

Cruising is our favorite mode of vacation now.  It is so relaxing, ships have stabilizers, to reduce the roughness.  I would recommend a cabin on a lower deck midship.  

Have a fantastic Honeymoon, and don't worry about anything.  My mom tried to dissuade me from my first cruise, and I'm glad that I did not listen to her.   My husband and I have been on many cruises, and enjoyed all of them.  

40 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Is your home  port in a warm climate?  Will you face the possibility of stormy weather?  If so, it might be a good idea to take a hotel room nearby for just in case.

Where will you be cruising to?  

Cruising is our favorite mode of vacation now.  It is so relaxing, ships have stabilizers, to reduce the roughness.  I would recommend a cabin on a lower deck midship.  

Have a fantastic Honeymoon, and don't worry about anything.  My mom tried to dissuade me from my first cruise, and I'm glad that I did not listen to her.   My husband and I have been on many cruises, and enjoyed all of them.  

New York, so not warm in February, lol. I live about an hour from port, so if the weather is bad I will book a hotel near the port. Thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

When you consider how many passengers cruise lines actually transport every year, and how few times we hear about things happening on cruise ships while remembering that TV news LOVES sensationalizing things these days - your likelihood of having a problem is low.  You've made the first step - you've asked questions to try to prepare yourself.  You have suggestions for how to handle certain aspects (I've seen your other threads), take that advice if you are concerned.

I was nervous about my first cruise.  The seas were ROUGH (actually, I responded to one of your threads asking about cruising from NY in Feb) but I didn't get sick despite the ship staff feeling the need to make sea-sick bags available in the stair ways and dramamine available in the medical office.  Don't get too nervous about that kind of report - those were probably exceptionally rough seas as we also sailed through a storm.  One thing to remember - everyone's body handles these kinds of trips differently, one person's "that was nothing" could be another person's "why in the world did I do this?".

Don't overthink it, go, enjoy the cruise.

Thank you. I plan on doing what my aunt does, takes Dramamine a week before the cruise starts and the week of the cruise.