Postmodern Jukebox On Deck on Rotterdam

iflyrc5

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks Copper!  I did like "Dancing in the Dark" I agree it depends on your "era" of music I guess 😉  

Which ships have this? 

As of today, on five ships; Rotterdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm a PMJ fan.  They are on playlist everywhere I go.  I like that the take some rock & pop "classics" and turn them into the smoky-room swing sound.  When I hear "Smells like Teen Spirit", I just laugh - Nirvana done Swing!!   Maybe some people just can't understand the morphing of a song into Swing.  If the BB King bands did covers of the same songs, I'm sure the purists would like them.  I was into Swing when it came around again in the 90s, so this is fun for me to listen to and watch.  

The other video to watch is of their cover of Ed Sheeran's "Beautiful", with Dave Koz on sax.  

Going to Las Vegas in my off-season to see PMJ in concert - they are there a lot.  A little cheaper for me than a cruise on the Rotterdam right now...

Copper - never saw the "Dream On" video - again , gotta love Aerosmith done Swing!!!

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PeetNL said:

Watched the Videos: Love it! Beautiful people, good Singers.

It's just fun.  Not meant to be precision stuff.  To me, I just imagine I'm at one of those smoky Cellar Swing clubs - people dancing and just enjoying the music.  Its not a "production" show...

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, Copper10-8 said:

As of today, on five ships; Rotterdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

Hmm, a tidy list of ships I will be avoiding

Whew happy to see   the beautiful  Noordam  is not on the list

Edited by sail7seas

On 7/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, cruisinteach2 said:

Also saw both shows of PMJ on Oosterdam Panama Canal cruise in April 2019. Not a fan-- really miss the singer & dancer production shows.

Saw performance of Humanity (check out the description of this in new Mariner magazine) - different - again not a fan.  My vote bring the singers and dancers back!

What is Mariner magazine? Hard to check it out if you don't get it or even know what it is.

Edited by pete_coach

24 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

What is Mariner magazine? Hard to check it out if you don't get it or even know what it is.

It's a HAL alumni (Mariner Society) magazine you (should) automatically get sent to you 4 times a year after you become a Mariner (upon completion of one cruise) with HAL). If you have not been getting it, and are interested, call 1-800-547-9139

Cover of Mariner Magazine 2019 on a wooden table with a camera

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

It's a HAL alumni (Mariner Society) magazine you (should) automatically get sent to you 4 times a year after you become a Mariner (upon completion of one cruise) with HAL). If you have not been getting it, and are interested, call 1-800-547-9139

Cover of Mariner Magazine 2019 on a wooden table with a camera

We are going on our first HAL cruise. I am on this forum to get info and noticed there are very many first time HAL cruisers. The magazine is not something we get so see so referencing it does not help with our questions.

As an aside, I see you are in Los Angeles. We will be visiting there prior to our cruise but only for a few days.. A shame there is no private messaging in CC as I would like to ask you for ways to maximize and optimize our 2 day visit to LA. 😞

Edited by pete_coach

PMJ left Nieuw Statendam during my cruise last week.  Unless a new group is coming on to take over for them, they are no longer on that ship.   I really enjoyed them, but my dad didn't.  It's definitely dependent on your taste in music. 

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

We are going on our first HAL cruise. I am on this forum to get info and noticed there are very many first time HAL cruisers. The magazine is not something we get so see so referencing it does not help with our questions.

As an aside, I see you are in Los Angeles. We will be visiting there prior to our cruise but only for a few days.. A shame there is no private messaging in CC as I would like to ask you for ways to maximize and optimize our 2 day visit to LA. 😞

It is available online on the HAL website ...

https://digital.cenveomobile.com/publication/?i=599916&p=&pn=#{"issue_id":599916,"page":0}