Single Supplement and other charges

carolcp

We are trying to decide if we should try to get three adults (Hubby, his mother and me) into a single room or get her a single.  I understand that in a single room that we will pay 1.5 the rate. My question is the hotel charge, do they also have that at 1.5 of the normal rate?  

Since we are 4 star mariners, she would be free in our room so we though that we might upsize the room and use some of the rate she would pay for the single.

I am trying to talk him into taking his mother without me so that there would be more room.  She would take two large suitcases for a two week cruise to Norway and not leave much closet space.  It would get very crowded very quickly plus where to store the wheel chair.

A single cruiser pays up to double for a cabin by herself, but that is the only thing charged double. The taxes and port fees are for one person, as well as charges aboard the ship. That includes the Hotel Service Charge---one person, one charge.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, carolcp said:

She would take two large suitcases for a two week cruise to Norway and not leave much closet space.  It would get very crowded very quickly plus where to store the wheel chair.

Sounds like a nightmare to me in anything less than the Pinnacle Suite!

• Like 1

Ooh. Please let us know what you decide. Three adults in one room makes my skin itch. Personal space is important to me. 

I would offer to cover some of the single supplement if I was travelling with my MIL. I think everyone would enjoy the cruise more that way.

• Like 2

Years ago I was on a cruise paying a Single Supplement.  I met three women who were very good friends.

From what I could gather, they had done two-in-a-room cabins in the past, but couldn't decide who would share on this cruise so had opted for three single supplements.  Some how or other they had priced out a Penthouse (don't know if they still exist) and decided it would be cheaper.  Unfortunately, the cost was their friendship.  About mid-way through the cruise, they stopped dining with each other, taking shore excursions together and, I believe, speaking to each other. 

I know they went their separate ways when they disembarked the ship, not even exchanging good-byes!

Go with adjoining or across-the-hall cabins (insides are cheaper than outsides).

• Thanks 1

No we are footing the cost of the cruise and incidentals.  That is why we are looking closely at the costs.  I can make do with a carry on worth of clothing.  Its my knitting that takes up all the room in my suitcase.  Hey this girl has different priorities than most.  

Personal space, well that is another thing all together.  All in lock step with each other so I won't be going off on my own to knit or read.  But it is not a trip planned for hubby and me. We just returned from the last Prinsendam cruise which was Norway so this cruise is for her benefit because every time we say Norway "oh its on my bucket list, Gary (her late husband) and I were to go on a Norwegian cruise but he got ill. " So we are trying to do this for her.  

I know she would love the Neptune room but in my personal experience, it is overrated and we never used it.  

Looking at the price of the pinnacle suites on the cruises next year are out of budget.  I guess we could "book" her in an inside cabin and us in a balcony and then just switch once we get on board.  That way the single rate in the inside room wouldn't be as bad as a single balcony.  I'll research it more to find rooms across the hall.  

Thanks for letting me brainstorm here.

• Like 2

My Dad, Sister and I had originally booked a balcony cabin on the Eurodam last year.

Within ten days of disembarktion I received an upsell offer to a signature Suite which I took.  The space was fine for three in a Signature Suite,  we would have killed each other in a regular balcony.  My sister and I had a Thermal Suite Pass and were usually gone for two hours.  My Dad had his private time and used the jacuzzi tub in the shower.

73983D57-835C-438F-95FE-F462967BA2C3.thumb.jpeg.105aeb86ec47d406a3980c1268337f1d.jpeg73983D57-835C-438F-95FE-F462967BA2C3.thumb.jpeg.105aeb86ec47d406a3980c1268337f1d.jpeg

The above picture is a picture on the same ship my Dad, Sister and I were on last year but only this picture was taken when my dad and I were on the ship this past May in the type of balcony I had originally booked for three last year.  This cabin there were only two of us.

This was a VC balcony that can Sleep three or 4 in some cabins.  When they mean 3 or 4 It would only hold two adults and 2 children is what it could hold.  They were not meant to hold 4 adults.

You would want to go two cabins or a signature Suite.

986E288A-BE24-47B1-8ACB-10F794C56B31.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, carolcp said:

No we are footing the cost of the cruise and incidentals.  That is why we are looking closely at the costs.  I can make do with a carry on worth of clothing.  Its my knitting that takes up all the room in my suitcase.  Hey this girl has different priorities than most.  

Personal space, well that is another thing all together.  All in lock step with each other so I won't be going off on my own to knit or read.  But it is not a trip planned for hubby and me. We just returned from the last Prinsendam cruise which was Norway so this cruise is for her benefit because every time we say Norway "oh its on my bucket list, Gary (her late husband) and I were to go on a Norwegian cruise but he got ill. " So we are trying to do this for her.  

I know she would love the Neptune room but in my personal experience, it is overrated and we never used it.  

Looking at the price of the pinnacle suites on the cruises next year are out of budget.  I guess we could "book" her in an inside cabin and us in a balcony and then just switch once we get on board.  That way the single rate in the inside room wouldn't be as bad as a single balcony.  I'll research it more to find rooms across the hall.  

Thanks for letting me brainstorm here.

Before I responded, I forgot to ask which ship you would be on.

cabins are a little larger on the R&S Ships than on the Vista, Signature or Pinnacle Suites.  The Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle have Signature Suites that don’t have all the frills of the Neptune Suite and are cheaper.

The inside across the hall idea seems the best option....unless hubby will take his mom alone.   Personal space is important to me like mos of the other posters.

You are so kind to do this for your mother in law.

God bless.

Yes, I am now a single and pay double cruise fare.  Only 1 on port taxes andHSC.  Since I lost my husband I would rather pay double in an inside and just have my space.  One lady I know wanted to accompany me, but I cancelled that cruise rather than ruin a friendship.

We sailed three to an inside on the Statendam (sister ship to Veendam) TWICE (his mom to Hawaii, my mom to Alaska). The old smaller ships have larger rooms, not intuitively. Also shared a balcony with my mom on the Zaandam. And we have shared our small travel trailer with her when the weather got bad/cold! That's even smaller than any cruiseship cabin!

Currently booked with my mom in a Princess Minisuite 14-day Alaska, and again in a standard balcony on the Nieuw Statendam, which looks a bit tighter than the other cabins, but not the travel trailer!

I guess we are not big on personal space; we find time AND space in the public areas during the day...

Here is the link to photos of the S-class cabins:

http://halfacts.com/s-class/

Here's one from the Maasdam that shows the three 'banks' of drawers, as we had on the Zaandam. We travelled with one carry-on apiece and one more with dressy and cold-weather clothes and had lots of room... 

Edited by crystalspin