What happens if ncl free flight misses the ship?

hladygirl

8 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

Has anyone experienced this yet? If my same day flight arranged thru ncl is late does ncl wait for me or pay to get me to the next port? Or am I just out of luck and on my own?

Depends on many factors:

The number of guests arriving on that same flight -

how much of a delay to wait for the arrival of the late flight 

Sailing time to the next port call -

is it a major all out effort to go full speed to make schedule or is there some flex time to play with

If it is deemed way too late - getting the guests to the next airport port city to join the cruise or outright cancellation -

a lot would be determined by destination - Bahamas Bermuda Caribbean islands some recovery possible availability

of charter or scheduled air service - as for a transatlantic trip would be a loss - Mediterranean cruises similar to the

Caribbean islands ?

Would be interesting to have someone with real time experience with this - how it was handled by NCL.

Maybe NCL offers a full cruise credit for a later date sailing - What is the fine print in the carriage contract ?

Perhaps the OP should inquire of NCL directly of what exactly is offered in such a case.

Have not read of anything recently here at NCL CC - maybe search of the other CC Boards could turn up something.

NCL wants you onboard. You bring more revenue onboard and you're not on CC bad mouthing the line.

The NCL insurance would kick in here for sure. It will help with your expenses to catch up to the ship.

Another option is to pay the $25pp fee plus a day/night of expenses to arrive early if you're really concerned about this scenario.

Personally, the only time I've arrived same day for a cruise was in San Juan when the shop had a 9pm departure. Flights left super early morning and were due in around 2pm so that felt pretty comfortable to me. I also assumed that if weather looked like an issue the airlines would likely give me the option to slide my flight by a day or so to get in. I kept my original flight. We did arrive late, but not so late that missing the ship was an issue. I'd also booked the NCL transfer, so that was probably another level of assurance that getting to the ship would be up to NCL. My choices worked out great as my cruise was shortly after the hurricane and I was not faced with trying to find a hotel or local transportation. I have another cruise scheduled out of San Juan next year, chances are I'll go in a day early this time. I'd like to see San Juan post hurricane and contribute to the local economy.

Edited by Nola26

According to our TA they will wait, but let's hope none of us have to worry. I do remember several years ago we had a group of us, some with air booked via NCL and almost all of us with NCL transfers: thee transfer company had van problems so we were about an hour late getting to the ship: the ship did wait for us. 

1 hour ago, Nola26 said:

The NCL insurance would kick in here for sure. It will help with your expenses to catch up to the ship.

There should be NO expenses incurred by the person if it is a NCL flight...... very similar to a NCL excursion not getting back in time and they get you to the next port (yes, NCL will usually wait but circumstances may make it not possible) ....... since the OP has read the T&Cs and there's no mention then I suggest contacting NCL directly.  It would be a concern of mine if there is no written policy concerning this to protect you. 

I can't speak about NCL but it happened to me with Princess and the flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. I worked with the cruise line to get me on another flight to meet the ship at the next port at zero cost to me. They inquired if I was staying at a hotel the night before the flight (as some people doif they are a distance from the airport) and they would've covered it.  They also paid for the parking for the one day at the airport since I had to leave and come back.  Princess has their own insurance for these things that cover it. 

In your cruise documents with the flight information there is a 1-800 number to call if your flight is delayed.  What good calling that number that will do I have no idea.

We are using the NCL "free air" to Miami for a September 8th cruise and have an early morning flight.  Normally we fly in a day early but with this flight arriving in Miami at 9:30 AM I thought we would chance it.

It’s good advice to fly in early but that wasn’t the question here - it was “what if my NCL flight is late (or presumably there is an issue with the NCL transfer) and I arrive at the pier late?”

But yes, I would fly in a day early, NCL or not, personally.  We’re lucky our next cruise -Amtrak from Philadelphia to NYC, 1 hr 40 mins, so we are arriving same day.  If there’s some big issue with Amtrak last second, we’ll rent a car and drive (NOT what we want to do).

10 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Has anyone experienced this yet? If my same day flight arranged thru ncl is late does ncl wait for me or pay to get me to the next port? Or am I just out of luck and on my own?

I took the Breakaway out of Miami this past April and we left port a little over an hour late. During that cruise I found out we were late leaving because there were 21 people that booked a flight through NCL from Chicago that was delayed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

There should be NO expenses incurred by the person if it is a NCL flight...... very similar to a NCL excursion not getting back in time and they get you to the next port (yes, NCL will usually wait but circumstances may make it not possible) ....... since the OP has read the T&Cs and there's no mention then I suggest contacting NCL directly.  It would be a concern of mine if there is no written policy concerning this to protect you. 

I can't speak about NCL but it happened to me with Princess and the flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. I worked with the cruise line to get me on another flight to meet the ship at the next port at zero cost to me. They inquired if I was staying at a hotel the night before the flight (as some people doif they are a distance from the airport) and they would've covered it.  They also paid for the parking for the one day at the airport since I had to leave and come back.  Princess has their own insurance for these things that cover it. 

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

With a shore excursion the ship waits, the OP asked about missing the ship. I agree that NCL would try to assist with different flights, but not certain that they would cover hotels, meals, etc. thus my insurance comment.

There's also a prior post that points to insurance playing a role based on NCL feedback. 

There is a thread on another site that documents the problems one traveller had with this issue. Their NCL flight was late and the cruise ship did not wait for them.

Quote - So it’s been a day... we opted for free airline as part of our cruise package, i learned yesterday, even though ncl told us we had to fly in same day, we probably could have paid a small change charge to fly in the day before... eh it was too late to do much about it.... well of course our original flight left late ( maybe 20 min) and by the time we ran to our connection gate, and missedthe flight by min(actually we were there 10 min beforehand, but doors were shut). Next flight, and all other flights completely booked - no way to actually get to port... just wasn’t going to happen. We did eventually get a flight to key west (our first stop). And due to jones act - another 800 charge to do this this. It took us 2 hours (and a panic charge to the phone) on hold with ncl to get this worked out!.... we will see what kind of relief re airfare, but they were pretty adamant that we were paying.

I was just reading someone's review of this situation in the cruise reviews section.  The NCL booked flight was delayed and they missed the ship.  They were booked on another flight and that one too was significantly delayed.  They flew them to the port in Mexico to join the cruise only missing the first 2 days.

Not saying this would happen in every scenario but NCL made every effort to get them on board.

There is a story  today on Elliot Advocacy about a situation like this. The cruise line was going to fly the couple to the next port but one of them did not have a passport and could not enter the next port country. Something to think about, 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Newleno said:

So basically 7 responses that give no useful information to the OP, now 8

That is probably because none of us have had it happen. The OP probably needs to call NCL for a truly factual answer. Most of us have just given our opinion from past experience or from what others we have spoken with have had to say. 

• Haha 1

NCL has an air sea program FAQ and it seems to disclaim any responsibility for any costs for cancelled or delayed flights:

NCL will not be responsible for any expenses or other consequences resulting from inclement weather, strikes, flight cancellations, changes/delays in the ship's schedule or a change/delay in schedule or routing made by a passenger, travel agent or airline.

15 hours ago, SheriAZ said:

There is a story  today on Elliot Advocacy about a situation like this. The cruise line was going to fly the couple to the next port but one of them did not have a passport and could not enter the next port country. Something to think about, 

If the ship was already going to that port country....why wouldn't everyone have a passport anyway?  You would need it to board the ship in the first place, wouldn't you?

3 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

If the ship was already going to that port country....why wouldn't everyone have a passport anyway?  You would need it to board the ship in the first place, wouldn't you?

Some places have different documentation requirements if you are flying in as opposed to being on a cruise ship.

1 minute ago, ColinIllinois said:

Some places have different documentation requirements if you are flying in as opposed to being on a cruise ship.

Huh.  Good to know!  And definitely something to keep in mind, then.

I booked the free air (for only $99 pp) to Orlando next January. We’ve NEVER flown in day of cruise. Was on a Saturday flight to Ft Lauderdale that was four hours delayed and watched about half the plane miss their cruise!  We departed Sunday...  

But, We’re trying to keep our vacay days to a minimum due to our girls’ short School breaks. I repeatedly asked “what if our flight is delayed and we are late?”  And the NCL rep response was “they will wait for you”. “NCL will not leave you if you are using NCL air and transfers”, which you are required to purchase when you purchase free air. Still considering paying the surcharge to come in a day early. They have us connecting through Charlotte to get to Orlando versus a direct flight. Don’t see the times yet. Just don’t want to risk it...

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

I booked the free air (for only $99 pp) to Orlando next January. We’ve NEVER flown in day of cruise. Was on a Saturday flight to Ft Lauderdale that was four hours delayed and watched about half the plane miss their cruise!  We departed Sunday...  

But, We’re trying to keep our vacay days to a minimum due to our girls’ short School breaks. I repeatedly asked “what if our flight is delayed and we are late?”  And the NCL rep response was “they will wait for you”. “NCL will not leave you if you are using NCL air and transfers”, which you are required to purchase when you purchase free air. Still considering paying the surcharge to come in a day early. They have us connecting through Charlotte to get to Orlando versus a direct flight. Don’t see the times yet. Just don’t want to risk it...

We are doing the same. i think we have booked air a couple of times the day of the cruise but very rarely. I just felt, in this case we are saving a money on the flights and if we spent the night near the port we would have an additional 1 night hotel costs. Our flight it in Oct thus we shouldn't have to worry too much about weather and we get to Miami about 11am, so even if the plane is a bit late I con't think it will be that late.