Koningsdam dress code

jcb91777

According to HAL's FAQ on what to pack, it states that on gala night men "usually" wear sport coats or suits.  Does anyone know for certain if suits or sport coats are required for the MDR on gala nights?

33 minutes ago, jcb91777 said:

Does anyone know for certain if suits or sport coats are required for the MDR on gala nights?

Definitely not. We haven't cruised in over two years, but on our last couple of cruises no more than about half the men wore jackets.  I would guess that dress has become even more casual since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the med cruise I did a couple of weeks ago, some wore shirt and trousers, some suits with ties and some suits without, some tweed jackets, some blazers, and some dinner jackets, and the smartest guy I saw was someone with the full western outfit - stetson (actually he had a range of stetsons), fancy boots, and the full rig.

3 minutes ago, picsa said:

On the med cruise I did a couple of weeks ago, some wore shirt and trousers, some suits with ties and some suits without, some tweed jackets, some blazers, and some dinner jackets, and the smartest guy I saw was someone with the full western outfit - stetson (actually he had a range of stetsons), fancy boots, and the full rig.

Am I the only one who thinks wearing a stetson (or any kind of hat) in the dining is not "smart"?

• Like 1

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Am I the only one who thinks wearing a stetson (or any kind of hat) in the dining is not "smart"?

To be fair I didn't see the guy in the MDR only the bar wearing the stetson, but then he was an awful lot smarter than those old men who were wearing baseball caps inside (why?).

2 hours ago, jcb91777 said:

Does anyone know for certain if suits or sport coats are required for the MDR on gala nights?

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

We haven't cruised in over two years, but on our last couple of cruises no more than about half the men wore jackets.

I should have noted that we do early Open seating, which is probably the most casual. Main (late) Fixed seating probably has a higher percentage of people who dress up.

9 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I should have noted that we do early Open seating, which is probably the most casual. Main (late) Fixed seating probably has a higher percentage of people who dress up.

Perhaps because when the MDR opens in for early seating it is the middle of the afternoon and not really the time to dress for dinner!

38 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I've often wondered why is it considered quite proper for ladies to wear hats in restaurants and churches etc but improper for men. How did those "rules" get started?

A hat on a woman was considered part of her 'costume'. But a woman didn't wear hats at night (that's where tiaras come in).

Men weren't thought of as wearing costumes.

4 hours ago, catl331 said:

I've often wondered why is it considered quite proper for ladies to wear hats in restaurants and churches etc but improper for men. How did those "rules" get started?

I believe it was St.Paul in the New Testament...

On 7/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, crystalspin said:

I believe it was St.Paul in the New Testament...

Correct.  It's a misapplication of 1 Corinthians 11:1-16.

Sadly, most people miss the last verse where Paul says that it's a subject not worth arguing over.

Ditto for these dress code threads.

• Like 2

Heard that the Guiness World Book of Records is considering awarding this site "The Most Redundant Topic Ever" award because of the never ending Dress code questions that almost always have the same posts each time.  Time for a sticky,yes indeed.