Savor, Taste, or Manhattan

awinte2

We are going to book reservations for dinner in one of the complimentary dining rooms.  Looking for info on what one you would book and why.

I heard that Manhattan is larger but much noisier than the other two.  Looking forward to your comments.

3 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

normally can't book complimentry diningrooms. You wait in line..Taste n Savour are much smaller and normally on the same deck opposite eachother with a bar set in the middle to wait to be called...

You can make reservations in the Manhattan for each night on the Bliss. You can do that thru your cruise planner online. I’m glad we did because there were two desks for check in. One for reservations and one for walk up. We bypassed some long lines because we had reservations even though complimentary.

• Like 1

Do dancers still perform in Manhattan on some nights?

Breakaway wasn't our favorite ship - we prefer smaller NCL vessels - but this was very nice feature.

• Like 1

The Manhattan room is a nice experience.  However... we only went there once on our Getaway cruise since we thought that it was very loud and we had a difficult time hearing each other, even though we were at a table for two.

I have an upcoming cruise on the Escape and booked two night of specialty dining as well as Taste, Savor and the Manhattan Room.  I book ahead whenever possible. 

There were no dancers in the Manhattan Room that I remember.  There was a live band.

Dancers from Burn The Floor performed in the Manhattan Room during our Breakaway cruise in January. We were lucky enough to be seated at a table on Cagney's that overlooked the Manhattan Room dance floor. We really enjoyed the show. Since the Manhattan Room is open for dinner from 5:30 to 9:00 and the dancers were there for about 30 minutes it doesn't surprise me than many guests didn't get to see the show. My suggestion is to inquire with the maître d' on embarkation day and ask if/when the dancers may perform and make a reservation for the show if possible.

• Thanks 1

We had reservations for Manhattan, the other no. BUT I would eat again in the Manhattan (if we ever go on that big of a ship again), not the other 2. The service was comparable to Taco Bell, ie not much.

Did not see the dancers but the music was wonderful and several couples got up and danced.

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

When we were on in April, Breakaway required men to wear long pants for dinner.  And they enforced this.  Men could wear shorts in the Taste and Savor for dinner.

Thanks for the info. We are on the Breakaway in a couple weeks, so I’ll pack a pair of trousers in case we decide to dine there.

4 hours ago, yearsofcruising said:

normally can't book complimentry diningrooms. You wait in line..Taste n Savour are much smaller and normally on the same deck opposite eachother with a bar set in the middle to wait to be called...

not contradicting myself , but on the bigger ships , you do have lines, especially the mdr. I don't like lines so I book everything thru my pcc anyways.

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You can make reservations in the Manhattan for each night on the Bliss. You can do that thru your cruise planner online. I’m glad we did because there were two desks for check in. One for reservations and one for walk up. We bypassed some long lines because we had reservations even though complimentary.

same here. Had family cruise 3 yrs ago with 6 adults & 2 grandkids . No way was I standing on line with 200+ people on the Breakaway for the Manhattan. PCC did his job.

When I walked up to the desk Only negative was the lady on line next who told me they don't take reservations. Hostess said to me : follow me ! Oh Boy......

All three do have the exact same menu each night.  Savor and Taste are the same layout with slightly different color schemes.  SavOR is on the pORt side and TaSTe is on the STarboard.

Manhattan is much larger, and has a place for live music and dancing in the middle of the venue.   Different music acts perform different nights.  If you like the music act, you will love getting a table closer to the dance floor so you can watch them perform.  They do take breaks, so it is not constant noise. If you don't like the group, you are better off to be in one of the rooms that branches off from the dance floor and is well away from the band.  Just let the hostess know your preference when you ask for a table.

Some music acts inspire people (patrons) to dance.  On my first voyage on the Escape there was a large party of young women from Spain who spent their whole time on the dance floor dancing and singing along with the musical duo who performed what I can only presume to be popular Spanish songs (since the girls from Spain knew all the words).  I have never been lucky enough to see any cast shows perform.

My mom who is darn near 90 and hard of hearing prefers the quietness of Savor and Taste.  I like the more vibrant Manhattan.   We compromise.

As I have stated on multiple threads, I have never made a reservation for a main dining room, and have never had a long wait for a table even though we have been a party of 8, 7, 6, 5 and of 4 depending on the cruise.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I’ve read that there is now a dress code (long pants for men) in effect in the Manhattan Room on all ships. Would appreciate feedback from any recent cruisers.

Not all ships. When in doubt, check the dailies. 

BirdTravels (currently on Joy) posted the dailies which state that only Ocean Blue and Le Bistro require long pants. I suspect that Escape and Bliss are also keeping it to 2 restaurants (Bayamo/Le Bistro for Escape). 

9 hours ago, awinte2 said:

We are going to book reservations for dinner in one of the complimentary dining rooms.  Looking for info on what one you would book and why.

I heard that Manhattan is larger but much noisier than the other two.  Looking forward to your comments.

Your descriptions are accurate. Taste and Savor are smaller. Manhattan room sometimes has a small orchestra playing, and it is much louder.

18 hours ago, Tatka said:

Do dancers still perform in Manhattan on some nights?

Breakaway wasn't our favorite ship - we prefer smaller NCL vessels - but this was very nice feature.

We are going on the Breakaway in Oct. Have been on her one other time and I agree with you, smaller ships have certain advantages over mega ships, but the dates, etc worked for our group so we will make the best of the experience. We did love the Manhattan room. It was one of the highlights of our cruise so we hope to eat there again. I think I am going to make reservations as they are not easy to get. I also would want to eat there when the entertainment is part of the experience. It brings back old times for those of us who have passed those younger years. 

• Like 1

I like all 3 complimentary restaurants.  I was very happy to have booked The Manhattan Room last Sept. on the Escape.  Pleasantly surprised to see/hear the wonderful band and singer.  Last week I booked my specialty and complimentary restaurants for my Nov. cruise.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, yearsofcruising said:

We actually booked complimentary dining rooms on every NCL cruise.

• Like 1