Laundry ruined - advice

Kenny1080

Hi we are just off the Pearl, we had some clothes washed, when they were returned a lot of the whites were slightly yellow. We deliberately use a special sun cream to avoid this so know it was not from our clothes. After coming home and washing the items again the yellow has spread and has ruined hundreds of pounds of clothes.

is there anything we can do? Worth raising the issue with NCL?

13 minutes ago, Kenny1080 said:

Hi we are just off the Pearl, we had some clothes washed, when they were returned a lot of the whites were slightly yellow. We deliberately use a special sun cream to avoid this so know it was not from our clothes. After coming home and washing the items again the yellow has spread and has ruined hundreds of pounds of clothes.

is there anything we can do? Worth raising the issue with NCL?

Unless you brought it up at the time I doubt you have much to complain about.... in that NCL will say that.

Edited by bobsfamily
  • Like 1

You should have said something while you were on the ship.

Also why would you even think it would be OK to wash those yellowed whites with other clothes?

Hundred of pounds of clothes ruined?  I'm guessing that's an exaggeration.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 9

Even if you could hold them responsible, you certainly couldn't blame them for your taking the clothes home and putting them in the same load with "hundreds of pounds" of your other clothes.

(Good god, what are your clothes made of, chain mail?)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Even if you could hold them responsible, you certainly couldn't blame them for your taking the clothes home and putting them in the same load with "hundreds of pounds" of your other clothes.

(Good god, what are your clothes made of, chain mail?)

The OP is Scottish. Their currency is pounds. 

A few of these. image.jpeg.593f8b527977ffe9d747329ff12df606.jpeg

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

Of course, the OP could have been referring to weight. Those all wool kilts weigh a tonne! 😀

OP, Good luck getting a dime (or shilling) out of the cruise line. There is probably something deep down in the cruise contract that absolves them of any responsibility.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"

For bulk bag laundry service, which is subject to availability, Gold members receive fifty (50%) percent off of retail price of bulk bag laundry service. The discount will be reflected on the final bill at the end of your sailing. Platinum, Platinum Plus and Ambassador members receive complimentary bulk bag laundry service which provides each Platinum, Platinum Plus and Ambassador member with one (1) bag of bulk bag laundry service per member, at no cost. Any request by Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus and Ambassador members for bulk bag laundry service must be made pursuant to the terms of the promotion guidelines. To resolve any billing discrepancies, guests must visit a Latitudes Rewards representative (CruiseNext Manager). The guest hereby confirms and understands that Norwegian shall in no way be held responsible for the occurrence of any of the following through the use of bulk bag laundry service.

• Norwegian is not responsible for clothing that bleeds, shrinks or otherwise changes as a result of normal washing.
  • Norwegian is not responsible for lost articles of clothing unless proven Norwegian was responsible for the loss.
  • Norwegian is not responsible for "hand wash only" or "dry clean only" and is not responsible for checking for these labels in garments.
  • Norwegian is not responsible for any loss or damage to any personal or non-cleanable items left in the clothing or bags such as currency, jewelry, etc,
  • Norwegian reserves the right to refuse to clean any garment.
  • Norwegian does not guarantee the removal of all stains.

"

• Like 1

Being platinum we always take all our whites from home too have washed as they come out so white. They use hospital type equipment and have never ever had problems in Over 40 cruises.

So  would be blaming and calling calling your sunscreen mfr. 

• Like 1

I just used the laundry service last week and read the form very carefully.

It said that the monetary amount was something like 50% of the cost you paid for the service.

I might have remembered this detail incorrectly but the sheet where you list what items are fixed says how much you get back if clothing is ruined.

I remember thinking it was a very small amount.

"Also why would you even think it would be OK to wash those yellowed whites with other clothes?"

I would have done this too without thinking it would damage other clothes.  So sorry to the OP, but I'd have to say it is unlikely they'd do anything once you leave the ship.  

If it's white, can you try oxiclean max spray and then oxiclean powder to remove the stains or send a few items to the dry cleaner to see if they can remove whatever is on them?

Several years ago, my DH’s favorite beige t-shirt came back a lime green with streaks of green.  It almost looked tie-dyed.   They washed it again and it was a little better but clearly not the same color.  If I remember correctly they took off the charge for that load of laundry.

I’m sorry to say that if you didn’t bring it up on the ship, there’s probably nothing they will do for you now.  And even then it wouldn’t have been much.  Now we only send out things we won’t be upset over if they come back ruined.

• Like 1

If you complained on the ship...something but not much.

Personally I avoid these services for any clothes I care about. ( If my underwear or socks get faded or yellowed I don’t care, but I would be reluctant to trust them with a nice dress shirt). 

Mixing yellowed clothing with other clothes was your own fault not NCL.  

Beyond staining additional clothing did the washing decreasing the intensity of the color on the original clothing?  If yes washing them a few more times might fix the problem of course don't mix with non contaminated clothes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

Being platinum we always take all our whites from home too have washed as they come out so white. They use hospital type equipment and have never ever had problems in Over 40 cruises.

So  would be blaming and calling calling your sunscreen mfr. 

You take dirty laundry to have it done on the ship.  *****

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stormynow said:

You take dirty laundry to have it done on the ship.  *****

I know people who do this. They get free laundry on the ship, so rather than stressing about making a trip to laundromat in the days before the cruise they just pack dirty laundry and then they have it laundered again so they can bring clean clothing home.  Not for me....but hey why not.  

28 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

I’ve read the OP’s post twice, and don’t see where he states he washed the yellowed whites with other clothes.

i thought “has spread” implied that, but on reconsideration i guess that could mean that the same set of clothes got worse.

I think it is far too late to expect anything to be done for you BUT it doesn't hurt to tell NCL what happened.  If you don't how can they keep an eye open for the same thing happening again.

Another reason to attend the M&G and get the Officers' card so you can phone, in this case Housekeeping, when anything happens.  You might be surprised at the action you get.

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

i thought “has spread” implied that, but on reconsideration i guess that could mean that the same set of clothes got worse.

Just a little clarification we treasured the whites alone at home, the tinge of yellow has became huge spots of yellow when washed.

as stated originally, we use a specific brand of suncream to avoid yellowing of clothes, a lesson learned the hard way before with 2 young kids.

i am not expecting anything from NCL but wondered if it is good to let them know of issues experienced