Life and live from Nieuw Amsterdam up north to Alaska

Copper10-8

Margerie Glacier is 21 miles long and begins on the southern slopes of Mount Root, elevation 12,860 feet, on the U.S.–Canada border flowing southeast down the valley, then turning to the northeast toward its terminus in Tarr Inlet. The glacier is named after French geologist and geographer Emmanuel de Margerie who visited the area in 1913

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: sky, mountain, tree, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: outdoor, nature and water

Johns Hopkins Glacier is a 12-mile long glacier that begins on the east slopes of Lituya Mountain and Mount Salisbury, and trends east to the head of Johns Hopkins Inlet, 1 mile southwest of the terminus of Clark Glacier and 79 miles northwest of the largely Tlingit community of Hoonah. It was named after Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland in 1893 by Harry Fielding Reid

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: outdoor and water

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, mountain, ocean, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, mountain, outdoor, nature and waterNo photo description available.

• Like 1

Tonight was the second of the two gala nights onboard Nieuw A. It was also the first performance by the five-person cast of the Step One Dance Company (what would have been their first performance on Sunday evening had to be cancelled when one of their male dancers took ill) called “Humanity.” We have seen Humanity before, as recent as last March on Koningsdam, and both feel it’s a good one. Tonight was no exception, especially since the normal six-person company was performing one person short.

Outstanding dancing with high energy and real talent. The music, although a track, was good also! Great show! Here’s hoping Mr. Bill Prince does not say goodbye to the Step One dance company on the other ships, as he has done with the larger production casts of RWS & Associates and Belinda King Creative Productions!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, people on stage, shoes, child, indoor and outdoor

Image may contain: shoes and night

Image may contain: night, water and outdoor

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: 4 people, people on stage, people standing, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and shoes

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and outdoor

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, regnig said:

Yes please Copper tell us what that "strange" stuff on that plate was.

The strange stuff on the plates is not edible and yes, they are all looking at you, and they all have individual names! :classic_wink: They are part of the "food faces" artwork display for the Rudi Sel de Mer French Mediterranean-style dinner that is served in the Pinnacle Grill once a cruise. They're pretty funny to look at

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The strange stuff on the plates is not edible and yes, they are all looking at you, and they all have individual names! :classic_wink: They are part of the "food faces" artwork display for the Rudi Sel de Mer French Mediterranean-style dinner that is served in the Pinnacle Grill once a cruise. They're pretty funny to look at

Oh thank God.  I’ll be sure to miss it!

• Haha 1

Comparing my panoramic old photographs to your pictures of Glacier Bay.  Very sad to see the extent to which the glaciers have receded since 1997.  Did you see any "calving"?  I recall that was one of the most impressive sights/sounds we've ever heard in nature.  

Lovely pictures of the dancers.  This was the only show I missed last Christmas on Nieuw Statendam, which was very unfortunate because most of the passengers raved about it.  If they still have it this Christmas, I hope to see it.

What's up with the "dead" dance floor?  Yes, the room is packed at BB King's, but no one is dancing.  Once that beat starts, it's darn near impossible for me to sit still, even if I have to dance beside my chair!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Comparing my panoramic old photographs to your pictures of Glacier Bay.  Very sad to see the extent to which the glaciers have receded since 1997.  Did you see any "calving"?  I recall that was one of the most impressive sights/sounds we've ever heard in nature.  

Lovely pictures of the dancers.  This was the only show I missed last Christmas on Nieuw Statendam, which was very unfortunate because most of the passengers raved about it.  If they still have it this Christmas, I hope to see it.

What's up with the "dead" dance floor?  Yes, the room is packed at BB King's, but no one is dancing.  Once that beat starts, it's darn near impossible for me to sit still, even if I have to dance beside my chair!

I took those first pics at the start of one of their sets when people still needed some "warming up" The female vocalist, Stephanie Bolton, has a knack for doing just that/great personality and she got Everyone dancing within short notice 😀 that floor was packed at times, especially with some of the Fab songs!

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I took those first pics at the start of one of their sets when people still needed some "warming up" The female vocalist, Stephanie Bolton, has a knack for doing just that/great personality and she got Everyone dancing within short notice 😀 that floor was packed at times, especially with some of the Fab songs!

Good to know people danced.  I've been on a couple of cruises where hardly anyone danced, except me and my partner!  Not as fun as a packed floor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

And your eardrums are still intact? 🤣

Vic from Jur-Zee! Wazzup dude? Eardrums are trimmed, waxed and good to go! Haven't heard and/or seen a bad BB King All-Star band yet on the dam ships, amplified music et all! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Day 6 - 08/15/2019; Ketchikan, AK; Ketchikan is located on Revillagigedo Island (named in 1793 by Captain George Vancouver), 700 miles north of Seattle, WA, and 235 miles south of Juneau, AK. in the Ketchikan Gateway Borough, the southeastern most city in Alaska. Ketchikan’s maritime heritage is proudly reflected in its nickname: “The Salmon Capital of the World”, and the region’s history runs deep in cultural and geological evidence that is still vibrant today. With a population at the 2010 census of 8,050 within its city limits, it is the sixth-most populous city in the state.

So, on Thursday morning Nieuw A. left Clarence Strait behind and came sailing down Tongass Narrows, the Y-shaped channel at 1000 hours, passed Guard Island, eventually Ketchikan International Airport. Upon arrival at Ketchikan proper, she then got ready to take her place at port side alongside at Berth #2 out of the four cruise ship berths, along Front Street. We were safely docked by 1100 hrs. Behind us at Berth #3 Ruby Princess was already alongside. Ruby’s fleet mate Royal Princess was at Berth #4 (1000-1800) and in front of us at Berth #1 (0700-1315) was our older sister Eurodam (0700-1200).

About 40 miles east of the City of Ketchikan lays Misty Fjord (or Misty Fjords) National Monument administered by the U.S. Forest Service as part of the Tongass National Forest. The region was first visited by Europeans in 1793 when that British dude, Captain George Vancouver, explored up Behm Canal, the prominent sea-filled glacial trough along the western margin of the monument separating it from Revillagigedo Island. Because of the remoteness of the area, most visitors arrive by boat or aircraft from Ketchikan or Juneau. More adventurous travelers choose an overnight charter service or spend days exploring by kayak.

We had purchased a shorex by the name of Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer by Allen Marine with a 12:30 PM departure from the Ryus Float at the north end and opposite Berth #1 where the 150-passenger water-jet powered catamaran St, Aquilina was waiting. This was a 4.5-hour exploration of the forested mountain slopes, rocky shores, steep cliff walls and waterfalls of the fjord while sailing the Revillagigedo Channel, Behm Canal, and Rudyerd Bay. Every seat on the cat had a pair of binoculars as well as a map of Misty Fjords National Monument with our route high-lighted with a magic marker by a deck crew member. This would be the only day of this cruise where the weather was not that great, no rain but a constant mist that had a notable effect on the visibility within Misty Fjord.

St. Aquilina had a great crew, starting with her captain and deck crew, her naturalist/commentator (from Agoura Hills/Los Angeles), her galley crew and her Tlingit native artist. During the trip, the galley crew served up donut holes, hot chocolate and a choice of clam chowder or vegetarian chili. We got a look at New Eddystone Rock, a volcanic spire rising from the water, a sea lion colony taking a nap, a Tlingit pictograph, and we had a stop at a Bald Eagle’s nest (no one was home)

Back onboard Nieuw A, she let go of her lines around 7:00 PM and then began her high-speed run back to Vancouver, BC. We had our last “specialty restaurant” dinner at 7:30 PM, this one inside Canaletto. The menu has changed in there, even since Koningsdam in March.

At 8:30 PM, there was an “Orange Party,” now apparently a regular event on all dam ships. It is basically an onboard celebration inspired by King’s Day, the Netherland’s national holiday. Orange is the color most associated with the Netherlands and the House of Orange, Holland’s royal family. The event took place in the BB King’s Blues Club with the band of the same name providing dance music and there were Dutch-inspired appetizers, beer, cocktails, plus a festive display of national pride with a sea of orange!

9:30 PM found us in Main Stage for the stand-up comedy of Kristen Key. She uses a guitar to create original musical comedy and had some funny moments, one of them being a short video of a day in the life of a HAL towel animal.

Tomorrow will be our last day – time flies on seven-day cruises – on this journey while transiting Canada’s Inside Passage. Pic is a look at the awesome Nieuw Amsterdam mural in the Deck 2 starboard aft Explorers Lounge

Image may contain: indoor

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Day #1 - After a leisurely breakfast on the 23rd floor of the Pan Pacific, we rolled our luggage downstairs to the co-located Canada Place cruise ship terminal (the hotel has a dedicated "cruise ship level" elevator.) 

I just noticed this.  Does that mean you were on the Club Level of Pan Pacific?  How was that?  We've booked the Club for our 14 Sep cruise.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I just noticed this.  Does that mean you were on the Club Level of Pan Pacific?  How was that?  We've booked the Club for our 14 Sep cruise.

We were there less than 24 hours, but can't beat the view and the self-service breakfast on the 23rd floor was good. The elevators are on the slow side

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

We were there less than 24 hours, but can't beat the view and the self-service breakfast on the 23rd floor was good. The elevators are on the slow side

I take it you believe the Club Level is worth the price?  I've heard the 23rd floor breakfast is good. 

We signed up for the Club Level and the Cruise Package.  I just learned this week that our son and his wife are joining us on this cruise.  He's arriving around midnight.  He did get the Cruise Package but didn't get the Club Level.  At least we can join him for breakfast in Oceans.