Should I bid on move up or stay put?

clone1008

We are cruising on the Equinox 8/24. I keep getting emails reminding me about my chance to bid on a move up. Currently we are in AQ 1599 and I am wondering if I should try a minimum bid on the sky suite option or jut stay put. I haven't done enough research to know if I could end getting a worse location that what I already have. Any thoughts from the experienced people on here?

Check out what sky suites are available on your sailing. If there is one you would not want, don't bid. If all the available rooms are acceptable, we would bid. However, it is a gamble. Celebrity can hold off until 48 hours before sailing to assign rooms to winning bids, and there could be cancellations or move ups for sky suites that are not available now. Of course, you can cancel your bid at any time if it has not been accepted.

Only choose a Sky Suite if you are very able-bodied. They have tubs with very high sides and slick bottoms that are an accident waiting to happen. Couple that with incessant noise from the Oceanview cafe just above it and you will wish you had never moved from your AQ cabin. Oh, and they are way over-priced as well. No wonder Celebrity has trouble selling them.

Have a lot of friends that keep wanting me to get a sky suite. There really aren't any bad locations. I've bid a few times and never won. Ill keep trying. Usually have Aqua and want to try Luminaire. In my mind Blu has gone down in quality and now a days and the tables are too close to each other.

Go for it if the min price is something you can be comfortable with.   It is another form of up sell.  

We had a AQ on the Edge.   A SS was way beyond what we wanted to pay at the time of booking even though it included all 4 perks and some extra SBC we couldn’t justify the cost  value.  On board we asked about upgrading to a SS.   Two days into the cruise they wanted the same price as the min move up and it wasn’t prorated for the two days that were missed.  No thanks.  

The  min move up bid that was later offered would have made the SS more than it was when we booked the AQ plus it didn’t included any of the perks, extra SBC, extra points or the ability to choose the cabin.   You do get the cabin Amenities that includes the private lounge, Luminae and etc that come with a suite.  

You will also have to pay more in Gratuities.  

You do keep the perks that you have with your original booking.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Unless you want the suite perks; Michael's Club and Luminae, you may not want to make the move. The stateroom you now have is on the slant of the hump and should be very nice. You also risk ending up with an S2 in a 'not so good' location. I would say just save your money and apply it to something else nice.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your knowledgeable responses. I kind of had a gut feeling that I should stay put, like was mentioned above I do have an AQ cabin on the hump which is why I asked the question to begin with. I think I will leave it as is.

2 hours ago, korryp said:

Have a lot of friends that keep wanting me to get a sky suite. There really aren't any bad locations.

Except those under the pool deck.  Or under the buffet.  Carts, chairs scraping, furniture moving.

That's why we would never do a move up bid.  Pig in a poke.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Except those under the pool deck.  Or under the buffet.  Carts, chairs scraping, furniture moving.

That's why we would never do a move up bid.  Pig in a poke.

My friend won a bid from Concierge to Sky Suite and it was under the pool deck. He did 14 days and never heard a squeak. I’ve talked to others that say they had moved from an aft cabin because of noise and cigarette smoke that bothered them. Kinda of surprised by that but I understand the smell of cigarettes.  Wonder why they don’t insulate that aft cabins for. Lise like they do the suites.  

25 minutes ago, korryp said:

My friend won a bid from Concierge to Sky Suite and it was under the pool deck. He did 14 days and never heard a squeak. I’ve talked to others that say they had moved from an aft cabin because of noise and cigarette smoke that bothered them. Kinda of surprised by that but I understand the smell of cigarettes.  Wonder why they don’t insulate that aft cabins for. Lise like they do the suites.  

A lot depends on where you are under a pool deck.

15 days there and in 85+ cruises the only time that we could literally not wait to get the heck off that ship.  Listened to people like your friend who "never heard a squeak"  Never again.

."  

7 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

A lot depends on where you are under a pool deck.

15 days there and in 85+ cruises the only time that we could literally not wait to get the heck off that ship.  Listened to people like your friend who "never heard a squeak"  Never again.

."  

Glad that everyone gets an opinion and now we know yours. Will be doing 5 cruises starting in March and I’ll do the bid up for the Sky suite for each cruise. Can’t wIt for 58 days aboard the Solstice.  

You can't know what rooms are available per Glendakayself's post above because the MoveUp process is like a Chinese tile puzzle of revenue generation for Celebrity. If someone already booked in a cabin cancels or wins a MoveUp bid, that frees up a line of cabins below them with pending bids which already show as booked. Plus, Celebrity blocks some cabins as booked to keep in inventory for last minute VIP bookings which never show as available.

Secondly, how much you bid is up to you, but whether you get it is most likely based on how much you've already paid for your existing cabin plus your bid and how closely that fits within what Celebrity has charged for your desired cabin class on your sailing. You can get a rough idea about that at *****.

Lastly, if you've never been in a suite, I highly recommend it. We won a MoveUp bid on our last cruise to get a suite for the first time. The perks from embarkation lounge, Retreat Lounge, Retreat Sundeck, Luminae, exclusive invitations, officers meet and greets in the lounge, plus the butler are much nicer than Aqua class, and this is coming from someone who only cruised on Celebrity in Aqua class before. The entire suite experience is elevated. 

13 hours ago, misterkevin said:

The entire suite experience is elevated. 

It's really hard to quantify in words how nice the 'suite' experience really is. The perks and benefits are intangible at times, but there is a 'feeling' in the difference in treatment one gets. On port days when we stay aboard ship and don't have Luminae for lunch, forcing us to go to the cattle car (Oceanview) to get salad to take back to our stateroom, we REALLY understand how nice the 'suite' treatment is. In my opinion the suite experience is worth every cent, even if we get stuck in an S2 under a pool. I'm glad your move-up worked. I hope it works for everyone who has never been able to afford the suite experience.

On a side-note, I am always amazed at how incredibly rude some folks are at the buffet. It's not like that last strip of bacon will be the last served, right. Unless there is an iceberg (not lettuce) involved.

• Like 1