Personal water bottles?

ERNLYN

I know Carnival passengers are not allowed to bring their own plastic bottled water for consumption,

but are you allowed to bring your own personal plastic bottle to re fill on the ship? Or must they be metal or glass?

I brought a Bubba mug for each member of the family on our last cruise... son in law was kind of puzzled by it til he was onboard, then everywhere he went I saw him with his bubba mug, filled with water, or iced tea, or soda... 

I even used mine in the morning for hot coffee, then washed it out, and used it for cold drinks the rest of the day.

Last year when I sailed on Ecstasy out of Charleston, there was someone outside telling everyone NO BOTTLES!  I showed him my (small) empty plastic bottle (I have taken an empty bottle for years) and he said NO BOTTLES!  Put it in the trash!  But, it's empty!  I've always carried one on.  NO!  NO BOTTLES!

Uh, no!  I just turned away and stuck it down in my carry-on.  Had no problem going through security.

Just another case of people who interpret the "rules" in a different way.  But I was not going to toss my empty bottle and then have to purchase a bottle on board to carry around, refill for taking ashore, etc.!

6 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Last year when I sailed on Ecstasy out of Charleston, there was someone outside telling everyone NO BOTTLES!  I showed him my (small) empty plastic bottle (I have taken an empty bottle for years) and he said NO BOTTLES!  Put it in the trash!  But, it's empty!  I've always carried one on.  NO!  NO BOTTLES!

Uh, no!  I just turned away and stuck it down in my carry-on.  Had no problem going through security.

Just another case of people who interpret the "rules" in a different way.  But I was not going to toss my empty bottle and then have to purchase a bottle on board to carry around, refill for taking ashore, etc.!

That's so frustrating! Good thing you know the rules and didn't let someone who obviously doesn't, bully you around!

Please, please, please do not let the mouth of the bottle touch the spigot of whatever you are pouring into it.  I saw this happen on a recent cruise, and I stayed away from that iced tea dispenser the rest of the cruise.  I told the staff and they cleaned it, but it still grossed me out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As people have already said, yes, you can :) I bring a nalgene each for me and my husband. We fill it up on the lido before we go lay in the sun on the deck or head into port. 

BUT, here's the real tip: you can also bring an empty water bottle through airport security. I use a carabiner to clip my empty water bottle to my laptop bag and fill it up post-security. I usually either a: have the server at the bar fill it up for me while I'm enjoying my traditional pre-flight cocktail or b: fill it at a water bottle station most airports are now adding. 

3 hours ago, hawaiissunshine1 said:

As people have already said, yes, you can 🙂 I bring a nalgene each for me and my husband. We fill it up on the lido before we go lay in the sun on the deck or head into port. 

BUT, here's the real tip: you can also bring an empty water bottle through airport security. I use a carabiner to clip my empty water bottle to my laptop bag and fill it up post-security. I usually either a: have the server at the bar fill it up for me while I'm enjoying my traditional pre-flight cocktail or b: fill it at a water bottle station most airports are now adding. 

This is what I do when I fly as well. Just remember to empty it before you try to take it through Security at the port, or they'll either confiscate it or give you the option to empty it.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:58 AM, ERNLYN said:

I know Carnival passengers are not allowed to bring their own plastic bottled water for consumption,

but are you allowed to bring your own personal plastic bottle to re fill on the ship? Or must they be metal or glass?

Many bring there own bottles.

9 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

This is what I do when I fly as well. Just remember to empty it before you try to take it through Security at the port, or they'll either confiscate it or give you the option to empty it.

We do the same thing, empty bottles fill up before the flight to keep hydrated on the plane. Story and TIP:  my son had a Yetti style type of water bottle. When we reached altitude, he retrieved his water bottle, popped open the "sippy" part and it backfired all over the 3 of us. Literally 1/2 the bottle was gone.  🤣  Lesson learned, unscrew the lid before opening the "sippy" part.  Unless you WANT a mid flight shower. 😁

Edited by Diggerof4

20 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

Please, please, please do not let the mouth of the bottle touch the spigot of whatever you are pouring into it.

The appropriate thing to do is use one of the cups at the station, fill that and then our into your cup/bottle.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Straitlover said:

The appropriate thing to do is use one of the cups at the station, fill that and then our into your cup/bottle.

I don't have a choice! My Tervis Tumbler is too tall to fit underneath the spigot anyway so I always grab a cup, fill it and pour into my mug. I had someone on my last cruise scold me for dirtying a clean cup for nothing ( ! ! ) and I explained to her that it was better to waste a cup than have the mug that I drink out of coming into contact with anything on the machine, therefore spreading germs. She said I was being paranoid! Whatever!

It should also be noted that you shouldn't really be filling up your water bottle at the drink stations on the Lido buffet. This can lead to cross contamination and the spreading of diseases, which can de detrimental on an enclosed ship. What crew members will tell you to do is either to drink water from the tap in your stateroom (I've done it on every ship I've ever been on and I've yet to have a problem), or fill up some smaller cups, and then pour them all into your water bottle.

But reusable water bottles are most definitely allowed onboard, it's always the first thing I pack!

• Like 1

I agree that the proper way is to fill a cup and dump it into the bottle.  However, some people still put the bottle under the spigot.  Your mouth was on that water bottle, you are placing that bottle against the spigot.  Whether or not it is not the definition of cross-contamination, it’s disgusting.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal
  • Like 1

Well, as I posted, the reason I use a cup to fill my mug is because it's too tall to fit. However, my bottle itself has a straw in the lid which is unscrewed before filling, so technically nothing that could touch the spigot has ever touched my mouth. Regardless, I have to use a  cup so it's irrelevant.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, FTLCruiseGal said:

Please, please, please do not let the mouth of the bottle touch the spigot of whatever you are pouring into it.  I saw this happen on a recent cruise, and I stayed away from that iced tea dispenser the rest of the cruise.  I told the staff and they cleaned it, but it still grossed me out.

Dispense your drink into a regular cup and then pour into your personal cup.

1 hour ago, The7Harrisons said:

Don't tell anybody this but we always bring our water bottles to the open bar parties and fill them with booze for later! One will be full of Fireball and the other will be full of Jameson! Again, don't tell anyone!!!

That should get you through the last evening just fine.