Doing Laundry in Your Cabin Bathroom

rwmartin

Hello. I've seen topics about the laundry service NCL offers and about the specials and tips for getting everything into the bag without it ripping. I've also read some of the horror stories (though rare) of clothes being ruined or lost. I don't think I've seen a topic on doing your own laundry in your cabin bathroom, though. My wife and I will be on a 14 day Caribbean cruise next year plus a couple days in Tampa pre-cruise. We don't want to pack 2+ weeks of clothes, but we also don't want to wear the same clothes multiple days. So, besides the laundry service, I'm wondering what folks may have done on a longer cruise to ensure they had clean clothes. Has anyone just washed a few items themselves in the sink in their cabin bathroom and hung them up to dry? If so, what do you take for detergent? Any special tips you can give? Thank you!

10 minutes ago, rwmartin said:

Hello. I've seen topics about the laundry service NCL offers and about the specials and tips for getting everything into the bag without it ripping. I've also read some of the horror stories (though rare) of clothes being ruined or lost. I don't think I've seen a topic on doing your own laundry in your cabin bathroom, though. My wife and I will be on a 14 day Caribbean cruise next year plus a couple days in Tampa pre-cruise. We don't want to pack 2+ weeks of clothes, but we also don't want to wear the same clothes multiple days. So, besides the laundry service, I'm wondering what folks may have done on a longer cruise to ensure they had clean clothes. Has anyone just washed a few items themselves in the sink in their cabin bathroom and hung them up to dry? If so, what do you take for detergent? Any special tips you can give? Thank you!

Go to your local Walmart and near the pharmacy they’ll have a “travel size” section for deodorant and other items.  They also have a variety of small single packs of laundry detergent.  In the NCL bathrooms the have a line that pulls out from the wall and connects to the other wall that is there to hang towels.  It is small, so I usually pack a length of small line/rope and always found a place to tie it off some place in the room as a clothes line.

• Like 2

I have done this a few time on another cruise line. I bring liquid detergent in a bottle, similar to my shampoo bottle. I also bring magnetic hooks to hang clothes hangers from. I position the hooks to be in front of the a/c vents in the cabin. I am lucky that I wear quick drying shirts and pants / shorts. If you are planning on washing and drying blue jeans, forget it.

To speed up drying, after you wash the clothes, lay them out on a towel and tightly roll them up, squeezing out the extra water. It is surprising how wet the towel gets from just one pair of pants or shirt.

Since my last cruise I have bought a washer bag from Amazon. This will allows me to wash the clothes without standing over the rather small sink.Tests at home shows that it works pretty well. We will see in 22 days.

Steven

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Since my last cruise I have bought a washer bag from Amazon. This will allows me to wash the clothes without standing over the rather small sink.Tests at home shows that it works pretty well. We will see in 22 days.

Steven

Not to sound "dumb" - but what is a "washer bag"??  How will this "bag" allow you to wash the clothes not standing over a small sink??  Where will you 'wash' the clothes?  Now if there are washing machines and dryers on your ship then why use a "bag" and why weren't you washing your clothes in them all along?  I guess I am super confused.

2 minutes ago, buddylover said:

but what is a "washer bag"??

It is a bag that you place you clothes in, fill with water and shake it to simulate the agitation of a normal clothes washer. You can then pour out the dirty water, fill with fresh and repeat to rinse. It actually works pretty well. True, you still have to stand at the sink to fill and empty the water, but it is more efficient than just dunking in the sink.

I got mine on Amazon. Look at https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013C98X72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They are sort of expensive for what they really are, but it seems to work well.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, buddylover said:

Not to sound "dumb" - but what is a "washer bag"??  How will this "bag" allow you to wash the clothes not standing over a small sink??  Where will you 'wash' the clothes?  Now if there are washing machines and dryers on your ship then why use a "bag" and why weren't you washing your clothes in them all along?  I guess I am super confused.

https://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Version-Squeeze-Style-Valve/dp/B00BUI7HFC/ref=asc_df_B00BUI7HFC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194838933099&hvpos=1o23&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17802376848145489921&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011869&hvtargid=pla-310268158310&psc=1

• Like 1

I think he's talking about something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Wash-Bag-Portable-Backpacking/dp/B01N68XF0O/  

I've used one on a longer cruise & it works great.  Fill it in the shower, and then agitate it by rolling it around in the shower with your foot.  No bending.  Stuff gets very clean.  

• Like 1

Just now, stevendom57 said:

It is a bag that you place you clothes in, fill with water and shake it to simulate the agitation of a normal clothes washer. You can then pour out the dirty water, fill with fresh and repeat to rinse. It actually works pretty well. True, you still have to stand at the sink to fill and empty the water, but it is more efficient than just dunking in the sink.

I got mine on Amazon. Look at https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013C98X72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They are sort of expensive for what they really are, but it seems to work well.

WOW!!  Thanks for the clarification - I was just so confused???  LOL 

I will definitely be looking into this as we are going on a very long 15 day cruise on NCL with no laundry rooms on the ship and we are losing sleep trying to figure out how to pack for that long with no "laundry room" (don't want to use the ships laundry facility due to both cost and washing everything in HOT water and drying everything that shrinks...haha) and keeping it under 50 lbs for the airlines - this is a tough one!  Thanks again!

• Like 1

The only thing i have washed in sink was polyester items that dry super fast. Also those thin shorts.i put in bathroom overnight then closet the next day to finish drying. BTW i have never had anything but good luck with NCL laundry. I don’t send super expensive delicate items. My stuff I’d returned to me better than i would do it.

For socks and smalls they go into the sink or the bathroom bin, (if the sink plug is not a good fit) with lots of hot water and a couple of big squirts of shower gel swirl them around a bit go to breakfast (do not disturb notice up), return rinse well and ring out - lay towel on bed - lay items flat on towel - roll up towel - put one person on each end and wring for all you are worth, peg on line in shower - I always pack a few clothes pegs.

For outer wear honestly have you ever remembered what your fellow cruisers wore from one day to the next? Wearing things multiple times is OK.

• Like 1

Feet are wonderful for laundry!

After rolling wet items in a towel (this works for things that can bend; be more careful with things like bras with underwires), then roll it up, and then put on the floor and just stand on it... then turn it one-quarter turn and repeat.

You might need to do this a second time if the towel is really wet, meaning there is probably still water in the wet clothing that can come out with another dry towel. (Just ask your steward for extra towels if needed.)

And for the wash.... someone already mentioned shampoo... just put some of your non-delicates in the show floor, and as you wash your hair, make like I Love Lucy in the grape stomping scene :classic_biggrin:.

This is especially good for heavier, bulky items, or anything that got really dirty.

(Just swishing them around with your feet is sometimes enough, without needing to dance around too much!)

Then let clear water flow and get most of the soap/shampoo out, by just swishing them around a bit more.  You can then just rinse regularly (in the shower/tub or back at the sink) til the water is as clear as you wish, if you didn't do the job in the shower.

GC

• Thanks 1

Lots of great info and ideas. Thanks so much.

Quick follow-up on the NCL laundry service. I saw in one reply here and mentioned in other posts that NCL washes everything in hot water. Is that based upon what’s on the laundry order form or some statement from NCL? I wash very little in hot water and the comments about NCL washing everything in hot water is why I’m asking about washing clothes myself. So, just wondering if this is really true or just a perpetuated rumor that hasn’t actually been substantiated? Thanks!

I fill one of those travel sized empty 3 oz. containers with a flip top with

dishsoap before we leave home. It is very handy for washing any

items including clothes in the cabin sink. Each cabin will have a clothes line

(mine has always been in the shower). Depending on the cabin category you can also hang things

on hooks or drape over the tub to dry. I agree only lightweight polyester things not denim

since it doesn't dry for days. I use dishsoap because I wouldn't want to bring laundry soap

and then wash my mug out with it so it is versatile. If you are driving then you can bring both but

we always have to fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddylover said:

WOW!!  Thanks for the clarification - I was just so confused???  LOL 

I will definitely be looking into this as we are going on a very long 15 day cruise on NCL with no laundry rooms on the ship and we are losing sleep trying to figure out how to pack for that long with no "laundry room" (don't want to use the ships laundry facility due to both cost and washing everything in HOT water and drying everything that shrinks...haha) and keeping it under 50 lbs for the airlines - this is a tough one!  Thanks again!

I  write on my laundry inventory sheet "cold water" and have never had anything shrink.

I want a scrubba wash bag.   I'd use Dr bonners soap as you only need a drop or 2.  I have an octopus hanger I'll be taking on our shorter cruise for bathing suits & towels. I can't seem to get a link but it's a hanger with 8 legs & 16 clips.   It's fixable & I take it on almost all vacations. 

• Like 1

travel wash is a proprietry product designed as concentrated detergent for clothes-widely available in UK at least

used many times in my younger days for camping trips

ideal for quick washes in sink and still uses for swimming costumes to wash out chlorine

The extendable clothes line in shower works well for drip dry overnight

you are not supposed to dry stuff on your balcony in the sun

However now we are platinum and have a bag of free laundry each per cruise we make use of that

have never had problems but then none of our holiday clothes are that valuable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwmartin said:

Lots of great info and ideas. Thanks so much.

Quick follow-up on the NCL laundry service. I saw in one reply here and mentioned in other posts that NCL washes everything in hot water. Is that based upon what’s on the laundry order form or some statement from NCL? I wash very little in hot water and the comments about NCL washing everything in hot water is why I’m asking about washing clothes myself. So, just wondering if this is really true or just a perpetuated rumor that hasn’t actually been substantiated? Thanks!

NCL does NOT wash all guest laundry in hot water. I talk with the laundry master on every cruise and they assure me that this is totally fake news. 

We do 4-10 bags of laundry with NCL each year and have never had any problems.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never any issues with NCL laundry.  Laundry bags hold a lot of items....crammed and I do mean crammed nearly 100 items into one of those on $19.99 laundry day special without issue.  I always take a 3 oz bottle filled with liquid Woolite for in room uses.  

3 pairs of Ex Officio  quick dry underwear, which is all I take on any vacation.  One pair on, one pair drying and one in reserve.  I wash while in the shower, just using shampoo.  Same with brassieres (which I always hand launder at home anyways).  For pants and stuff if you can pack quick dry and thin material they will also be very easy to wash by hand. 

Don't stress the packing, using travel websites such as; TravelSmith and Orvis carry quick dry items.

• Like 1

I could see doing underwear, jeans, maybe pajamas if someone had them.  Neither one of us can be trusted to do dress shirts and slacks and expect them not to end up looking like Charlie Chaplain’s wardrobe.  We leave that to professionals.  They have a launndrymat quality press in most ship laundries. 

You can wash heavy or light items in the bathroom sink.  Just be sure to wrap each item in a dry towel and squeeze out as much water as possible before hanging to dry.  If you don't do this, it takes too long to dry and may begin to smell mildewy.

Once when I sent my laundry out with the cruise line, it came back with an extra pair of panties that were NOT mine!  They also did a really sloppy job of folding, so I'd rather just save the money and wash the few items I need.

As far as what detergent to use, dish or laundry detergent--both work for laundry, and they also both work for dishes. (Laundry detergent is a little more slippery, but it rinses off dishes just fine.) . Personally, I always bring a ziplock sandwich bag with powder laundry detergent.  It doesn't take much.