Missing the ship!!!

AndyMichelle

Probably a dumb question from a Yank.  I have thought about trying to back to back a Carnival TA cruise that goes in to Dover with a P&O that leaves from Southhampton on the same day.  Reading this thread, that sounds difficult if not impossible.   Is that right?

Thanks.

Not a dumb question at all. It would take about 3 hours to drive, probably a little more if you are travelling   during the morning rush hour in the week. If you self disembark at around 8, have a car service prebooked and waiting, you would be in Southampton with time to spare.

However,  as with all things in life, there is always the possibility of a massive traffic jam, but a decent driver with sat nav should be able to work round it.

I think this would be possible, especially if you self-disembark from Celebrity, at the earliest opportunity.

This link gives a shade over 3 hours.  Could be less with a taxi between London stations/tubes.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Dover-England/Southampton#r/Train-via-London

Much would depend on the day of the week and time of year.  I’m sure others would help you come up with a solid plan if you want to look into it further.  For instance, a pre-booked cab would hope to do the 150 miles in about 2.5 hours

20 minutes ago, ddavis5us said:

Probably a dumb question from a Yank.  I have thought about trying to back to back a Carnival TA cruise that goes in to Dover with a P&O that leaves from Southhampton on the same day.  Reading this thread, that sounds difficult if not impossible.   Is that right?

Thanks.

Not a dumb question at all and it sounds like a good idea.

Perhaps Andy who is a resident of Southampton can enlighten you/us regarding the logistics of getting from Dover to Southampton.

Sorry, I didn't see the previous replies before I pressed the send. 😊

Edited by P-L-B
  • Like 1

Google maps which I've found to be pretty accurate says 2 and a half hours.  Given today is a hot and busy public holiday weekend the, should be OK. However fastest route is via M25, which can be a car park on a weekday rush hour morning.  Going along coast on normal roads today is 4 hours. But as long as the driver has sat nav with real time traffic alerts should find a way around, if you get off at 8am you have 8 hours to make it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB9302 said:

Yes it was total for 2 return tickets . Will have a look at return air fares to compare .

For first class returns I think that's a pretty fair price then. Unless you like hanging around in airport departure lounges 😁

What I'm thinking of would be next June (19th) on a Thursday.  Looking from the suggestions, and cross checking, it does seem doable with a private car for about 250 pounds or so.  Sound about right?  Already booked on the TA arriving that day.

47 minutes ago, ddavis5us said:

What I'm thinking of would be next June (19th) on a Thursday.  Looking from the suggestions, and cross checking, it does seem doable with a private car for about 250 pounds or so.  Sound about right?  Already booked on the TA arriving that day.

As others have said, the good thing about this journey is you have plenty of options for different routes.

A good cabbie will get you here on time.

have a fantastic time.

Andy

Most of us Brits on here are pessimists by nature - it's in our genes. The fact that we all think your  connection   is doable should give you a certain amount of confidence.  Of course, if it all goes Pete Tong, no one will admit to suggesting  it was a good idea!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ddavis5us said:

I’m nosey - so I looked on the P&O site to see if I could guess which of their trips you might be interested in.

Problems:-

19th June is Friday not Thursday

There are no P&O departures that day - several on Saturday 20th

So, please double check your calendar and the cruise schedules.  It could be good news ... no rush between Dover and Southampton and a couple of days to spend in London or Winchester or Southampton or elsewhere in southern England

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I have been looking at your ticket prices by railway from Manchester to Southampton.  It is cheaper to fly.   Try FLYBE.  but be prepared for the 23K baggage allowance.

Train tickets are normally at their best 6-8 weeks before. They start off expensive then go cheaper then go more expensive again!

15 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Train tickets are normally at their best 6-8 weeks before. They start off expensive then go cheaper then go more expensive again!

That’s not my experience. Tickets go on sale 12 weeks before and have the best prices and availability. The closer to your travel date the more expensive they become and the more limited availability is.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

As others have said, the good thing about this journey is you have plenty of options for different routes.

A good cabbie will get you here on time.

have a fantastic time.

Andy

And after several really bad experiences of train travel - reschedules/cancellations/re-routing/having to change trains when not expected, we've become much less likely to choose that mode of transport when going on holiday.  Add to that lifting heavy cases on and off the train (8 times to get to Gatwick on one occasion) to say nothing of not necessarily finding luggage storage space, we've decided a taxi is so much more convenient.  I'd definitely look at this option.   

2 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

And after several really bad experiences of train travel - reschedules/cancellations/re-routing/having to change trains when not expected, we've become much less likely to choose that mode of transport when going on holiday.  Add to that lifting heavy cases on and off the train (8 times to get to Gatwick on one occasion) to say nothing of not necessarily finding luggage storage space, we've decided a taxi is so much more convenient.  I'd definitely look at this option.   

That was my one and only experience of getting to a port using the train. So unless it has no changes I wouldn't dream of going on the train.

56 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

That’s not my experience. Tickets go on sale 12 weeks before and have the best prices and availability. The closer to your travel date the more expensive they become and the more limited availability is.

I can ony speak for my experience - I booked London - Liverpool 2 weeks ago for early October - 2 weeks before that it had been £130 each, when I booked it was £137 return for both of us!

13 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I can ony speak for my experience - I booked London - Liverpool 2 weeks ago for early October - 2 weeks before that it had been £130 each, when I booked it was £137 return for both of us!

I’m glad you got a good deal Sue. I suppose it’s a matter of supply and demand really. I just find train tickets in general very expensive. I reckon we should all follow Andy’s example and move to Southampton, it wouldn’t be an issue then 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m glad you got a good deal Sue. I suppose it’s a matter of supply and demand really. I just find train tickets in general very expensive. I reckon we should all follow Andy’s example and move to Southampton, it wouldn’t be an issue then 😂 

How about moving Southampton north?

The Solway is just about mid British Isles. Fair for the majority then.😁

Edited by FangedRose

1 minute ago, FangedRose said:

How about moving Southampton north?

The Solway is just about mid British Isles. Fair for the majority then.😁

I’m with you on that one, and I’ve already put the case for Baltic and Northern European cruises being based in the Tyne at Newcastle. Sadly I don’t think either of us will get our wish ☹️

11 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I’m with you on that one, and I’ve already put the case for Baltic and Northern European cruises being based in the Tyne at Newcastle. Sadly I don’t think either of us will get our wish ☹️

I've never understood why everything has to down south. Given the state of the infrastructure why are the powers that be determined to pull/push everyone to London. Heathrow's third runway, HS2 (which comes nowhere the north) etc all designed to funnel everyone through London.

It makes more sense to me to spread thing out a bit, rather than force more people into places which can't cope as it is.