Princess transfer from LHR to Southampton

WCAS74

Has anyone recently take the Princess transfer from LHR to Southampton?  Do you remember where the buses load? We will be flying in the night before our cruise & spending the night near the airport... trying to decide whether to take the National Express bus to Southampton (which we have done before) or try to catch the Princess transfer from the airport since we will have to go back to the airport either way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would suggest a private transfer picked up at the hotel. We used Smiths for Airports. They were very efficient and the price was reasonable and competitive as compared to the Princess transfer. You can e-mail them for a price.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 3

We did that Princess transfer this summer. At LHR the Princess busses officially pick up at Terminal 3 (at around 9:30am). We had flown in the day before and stayed at a hotel at Terminal 5. I could never confirm if Princess would be picking up at all terminals, so we took a cab over to T3. Our other option (at no cost but a hassle for five of us with luggage) was to walk back to T5 and catch the subway/tube transfer over to T3.  I think it was called Heathrow Express and our concierge said it would take about 15 to 20 minutes between terminals. It was easier for us to just taxi over to T3 arrivals and then we found the Princess rep there. On the way out of LHR our bus did stop at T5 and pick up a few people (we had literally just come from there, LOL) so they must have shown up at (or flew into on day of the cruise) T5 and obviously there was indeed a Princess rep there.  Had I known that we would have stayed at T5 and done the same thing, but a CC thread and several calls to Princess could never answer that. But I now know firsthand that there is a Princess rep at all Heathrow terminals even though your Travel Summary will tell you that pickup is only at T3.  So long story short, you can go back over to T3 arrivals and catch the Princess transfer there. The transfer is convenient -- they take you right to your ship and your bags go on a separate truck and show up in your stateroom. I believe if you take the regular bus you will still need to get from the bus station to the port. 

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

We did that Princess transfer this summer. At LHR the Princess busses officially pick up at Terminal 3 (at around 9:30am). We had flown in the day before and stayed at a hotel at Terminal 5. I could never confirm if Princess would be picking up at all terminals, so we took a cab over to T3. Our other option (at no cost but a hassle for five of us with luggage) was to walk back to T5 and catch the subway/tube transfer over to T3.  I think it was called Heathrow Express and our concierge said it would take about 15 to 20 minutes between terminals. It was easier for us to just taxi over to T3 arrivals and then we found the Princess rep there. On the way out of LHR our bus did stop at T5 and pick up a few people (we had literally just come from there, LOL) so they must have shown up at (or flew into on day of the cruise) T5 and obviously there was indeed a Princess rep there.  Had I known that we would have stayed at T5 and done the same thing, but a CC thread and several calls to Princess could never answer that. But I now know firsthand that there is a Princess rep at all Heathrow terminals even though your Travel Summary will tell you that pickup is only at T3.  So long story short, you can go back over to T3 arrivals and catch the Princess transfer there. The transfer is convenient -- they take you right to your ship and your bags go on a separate truck and show up in your stateroom. I believe if you take the regular bus you will still need to get from the bus station to the port. 

Doesn't British Airways fly into T5?  I am hoping Princess will be there, for sure.

We had a transfer that was included in our pre-cruise extension and we were picked up by a driver that was waiting for us with a sign.  It was not on a bus like when we left from the hotel to board the ship.  Our driver only had my husband and I in a very nice Mercedes sedan.  It was a very relaxing drive to our hotel in London.

6 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

We had a transfer that was included in our pre-cruise extension and we were picked up by a driver that was waiting for us with a sign.  It was not on a bus like when we left from the hotel to board the ship.  Our driver only had my husband and I in a very nice Mercedes sedan.  It was a very relaxing drive to our hotel in London.

Wow!  Fantastic!  This pleasant scenario happened for us when arriving down under in Sydney🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skynight said:

I would suggest a private transfer picked up at the hotel. We used Smiths for Airports. They were very efficient and the price was reasonable and competitive as compared to the Princess transfer. You can e-mail them for a price.

I realize OP was asking about the Princess transfer but I'll second this suggestion.  We used Smiths our last cruise out of Southampton and for less than $10pp we had a private car from our Heathrow area hotel directly to the pier.  It was great knowing we'd be picked up spot on time and transported with no other stops or delays.  Smiths didn't even require payment until day of transport which sort of amazed me.  

We've previously used the National Express too I would caution that one can experience quite a wait for a taxi from the Southampton bus station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Special thanks to Rocklin Mom for your detailed response. We’ll be passing through Rocklin next week on our way to visit our daughter in Grass Valley!

it looks like our new plan is to take a very late National Express bus to Southampton

after our flight arrives & spend what’s left of the night there & then board the ship the next day.  We will be so jet lagged it really won’t matter what time we finally get to the hotel!😴😴

Thanks again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jondfk said:

I realize OP was asking about the Princess transfer but I'll second this suggestion.  We used Smiths our last cruise out of Southampton and for less than $10pp we had a private car from our Heathrow area hotel directly to the pier.  It was great knowing we'd be picked up spot on time and transported with no other stops or delays.  Smiths didn't even require payment until day of transport which sort of amazed me.  

We've previously used the National Express too I would caution that one can experience quite a wait for a taxi from the Southampton bus station.

A private car from Heathrow to Southampton for $10.00??

5 minutes ago, Rudy888 said:

A private car from Heathrow to Southampton for $10.00??

I question that too.  We've used Smiths (and heartily endorse them) twice, most recently this past June. 

These are exact quotes from our email conversations:

Initial contact:  " Hi an estate car which will hold 4 people and 4 cases will be £75 plus £8 for parking"

Request for a larger car (we were 4 passengers):  "You may need the MPV which is £90 plus £8 for parking."

We went with the latter and had a very new and comfortable SUV with a great driver.

I'm doing some very long range planning right now for our 50th wedding anniversary in 2021.  My wife and I have seldom used Princess transfers and have never cruised out of the UK before, even though we have 22 cruises under our belts.  We are planning on 2, 14-day B2B cruises to Iceland, Norway and the Baltics.  However, before joining the cruise ship in Southampton, we wish to spend 5 days in London to take in some sights and some West End musicals.  This brings up some questions.

1. How much does a Princess transfer to Southampton cost?

2. Will we be better off with a private car transfer?

3. Does Princess transfers pickup from hotels on extended stays?

4. If I have to go back to LHR, can I still find the Princess rep, even though we won't have tickets to fly at that point?

5. Anything that I'm overlooking?

Thank you.  This is a new experience for us.

1 hour ago, isosika said:

I'm doing some very long range planning right now for our 50th wedding anniversary in 2021.  My wife and I have seldom used Princess transfers and have never cruised out of the UK before, even though we have 22 cruises under our belts.  We are planning on 2, 14-day B2B cruises to Iceland, Norway and the Baltics.  However, before joining the cruise ship in Southampton, we wish to spend 5 days in London to take in some sights and some West End musicals.  This brings up some questions.

4. If I have to go back to LHR, can I still find the Princess rep, even though we won't have tickets to fly at that point?

Hi and congrats!  Wondering, are you doing the 14 day Norway and Iceland on the Grand starting June 26th, 2021?  If so, see you onboard!

As far as transfers go, I have found that private transfers work great for us(much easier and calmer and nicer) to take us to the ship for embarkation from wherever we are staying and use Princess transfers on disembarkation as we are usually just flying home the same day.  My Princess transfer (one way) has cost me from $29-39pp usually.  Usually more towards $39pp.

Princess only picks up at the airport for transfers to the ship and at the port to the airport after cruise.  If you do decide to use Princess transfer for some reason to the ship, you will have to get back to the airport and go the the area that the Princess rep will be and meet up there.  It is ok if you flew in day or days earlier.  We did just this our last Canada/New England cruise.

Pooh

2 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Yes T5 is British Airways. And definitely look for the Princess rep who should be there on cruise day. 

Thanks so much!  I appreciate your response.

Very reassuring🙂🛳🌈🌊🐬🌅🎆🛥🐋🚢🌠🌝

• Like 1

I also use Smith's and highly recommend them.  So easy, fast and hassle-free.  Also, don't rule out staying in Southampton.  There are some really nice smaller places to stay and it's a neat place to explore a little.  I've particularly enjoyed the Pig in the Wall and the White Star Tavern for lodging.  I believe the poster who said it was 10 said, pp, - they divided the cost across their party.

Have a great trip.

1 hour ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Hi and congrats!  Wondering, are you doing the 14 day Norway and Iceland on the Grand starting June 26th, 2021?  If so, see you onboard!

As far as transfers go, I have found that private transfers work great for us(much easier and calmer and nicer) to take us to the ship for embarkation from wherever we are staying and use Princess transfers on disembarkation as we are usually just flying home the same day.  My Princess transfer (one way) has cost me from $29-39pp usually.  Usually more towards $39pp.

Princess only picks up at the airport for transfers to the ship and at the port to the airport after cruise.  If you do decide to use Princess transfer for some reason to the ship, you will have to get back to the airport and go the the area that the Princess rep will be and meet up there.  It is ok if you flew in day or days earlier.  We did just this our last Canada/New England cruise.

Pooh

That's one of the cruises.  We follow up the B2B on July 10.  See you there.  

Thanks for the response, it's very helpful.

Denny

6 hours ago, isosika said:

As I described above, the Princess transfer picks up at Heathrow and you can just go to the arrivals area of terminal 3 for sure and from what we saw this summer also terminal 5 to meet the Princess rep. You could also get the transfer from Victoria Coach Station in London (we've done that before as well). We just took a cab there from our hotel. The price this summer was $59pp. Don't know what it will be in 2021. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 5:01 AM, skynight said:

Could not agree more. we have used SmithtotheAirport both directions to and from Southhampton.... excellent service.  When we have gone we always stay at a Marriott out at the airport.    You can book the private transfer on line, pay on day of service, need to get BP to pay in cash.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, jondfk said:

What I meant to say was for $10pp more than the cost of the Princess transfer.

Cheers

Would that also be true for passengers traveling solo?  I’ve found that for solo travelers, Princess transfers are far more affordable.

Usually private transfers are expecting to charge the same for one or two, which is a big disadvantage to travelers like me, who usually travel solo.  

Im assuming you are referring to a couple of people when you say it’s only about $10 pp more. Right?