Downy wrinkle release on Summit?

16 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Where?  We’ve been looking and couldn’t find them. 

Thanks!  We will need to work around that one way or another. 

Incase anyone else is looking, I have picked up the travel size Downey Wrinkle Remover in the past at Target.  Typically found them in the same section as all the other travel size items.  My target has them near the pharmacy area.

1 hour ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

Incase anyone else is looking, I have picked up the travel size Downey Wrinkle Remover in the past at Target.  Typically found them in the same section as all the other travel size items.  My target has them near the pharmacy area.

We looked in that section at our Target, but they didn’t have them. Perhaps they were just out of stock. 

4 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Another solution for wrinkled clothes is to hang them inthe bathroom when you shower.

Downey Wrinkle Remover is a great product we have never had any problems with it.

Another product along Downey is Day2:

https://day2.com/

True story... was at a company meeting with my husband at a Ritz Carlton and tried this trick. I opened the bathroom door and set off a smoke alarm! Quite an embarrassing moment lol

Happy cruising!

Trish

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, o-state girl said:

I keep the empty Downey travel sized spray bottles and refill from my large bottle at home for my next trip.  I've been called "frugal" by more than one person.

Sounds smart to me.  I have a travel size bottle I bought a few years ago from CVS and never needed it.  I've only once had to have the ship's laundry get out a big crease in my jacket and that was the only thing that was ever wrinkled over several trips.  I finally started leaving the Downy bottle at home and should probably just throw it out at this point. 

I would encourage the OP to read the TSA regs to understand what can and cannot be carried on the plane.  Seems odd that someone traveling in this day and age doesn't already know these rules since they've been in place for almost two decades now, but the TSA website has it all spelled out.  Or, plan on checking a bag that has all of this extraneous stuff in it rather than holding up the people behind you in the TSA line.

Edited by bEwAbG

On 8/24/2019 at 3:14 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

My question asked if anyone had bought it on the Summit.  I think maybe you misread it. No biggie. Now that I know it’s available on Amazon, we’ve already purchased travel size bottles. We were thinking we would have to Check-in a bag on the flight because we had t found any travel sized bottles. 

We have found it at Walgreens

On 8/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, MamaFej said:

Another option is to bring an empty spray bottle and dryer sheets with you. Once you get onboard (or to a pre-cruise hotel) fold a dryer sheet and put it in the bottle, then add water. Shake a bit, and you've got wrinkle release spray, without taking up any of your limited liquids capacity. We bought a set of empty travel containers at Target that included a spray bottle. It worked very well for us.

Yes we do this routinely and it works very well.  Try it at home first if you are worried.  We have never had an issue with staining or discoloration. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 4:10 PM, bEwAbG said:

Sounds smart to me.  I have a travel size bottle I bought a few years ago from CVS and never needed it.  I've only once had to have the ship's laundry get out a big crease in my jacket and that was the only thing that was ever wrinkled over several trips.  I finally started leaving the Downy bottle at home and should probably just throw it out at this point. 

I would encourage the OP to read the TSA regs to understand what can and cannot be carried on the plane.  Seems odd that someone traveling in this day and age doesn't already know these rules since they've been in place for almost two decades now, but the TSA website has it all spelled out.  Or, plan on checking a bag that has all of this extraneous stuff in it rather than holding up the people behind you in the TSA line.

I haven’t been on a plane for 14 years. I knew about some of the restrictions, but not all of them. 

Now that we know how strict they are, we are planning on checking in a bag for our toiletries. Seems like a waste, but it is what it is. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

37 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I haven’t been on a plane for 14 years. I knew about some of the restrictions, but not all of them. 

Now that we know how strict they are, we are planning on checking in a bag for our toiletries. Seems like a waste, but it is what it is. 

That is totally unnecessary, unless you are flying on an airline that won't charge you anything extra for the checked bag.

Each airline passenger is allowed to carry on a quart sized zip-lock bag with as many small bottles and jars of liquids as you can fit inside it. 

We easily fit 10 to 14 small jars and bottles of various liquids into one of those zip-lock bags, enough for a 3 or 4 week trip.

(If you have pre-check, you don't even need to pull the bag out of your suitcase at security.)

As for the fabric softener, just bring a few dryer sheets, a small empty spray bottle,  and make your own fabric softener.

If you need larger quantities of any liquids, it is usually easier and costs less to buy them at your destination, or at one of the ports,  than to schlep along and check an extra bag.

Many frequent cruisers know the exact locations of the drugstores (pharmacies) and also the liquor stores at a number of popular cruise ports. 😁

Edited by varoo

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’m referring to our flight. 

We travel w/ the small travel size bottle - it works great!

Buy the large & refill @ home...

Edited by Von & John

"That is totally unnecessary,"  sorry, but I don't think anyone but the OP can say what is necessary and what isn't.  One quart size bag may not be sufficient for their needs.   As for the advice to buy new things at the port, you still have to get them home, so you are back to checking a bag that way.  Or you can throw them away, which is a waste of money and resources.  

• Like 2

@NCteacherlovescruising If you haven't flown in a long time,  there are a couple of things you might want to keep in mind.

Allow for plenty of time at the airport. If they recommend 2 hrs, do it. Delays can happen anywhere  but especially in screening.  TSA agents appreciate it when you are prepared in the line--ID and boarding pass ready, jewelry and metal belts in your carryon, etc. They see grumpy and harried people literally nonstop, so smiles grease your way. Follow instructions on the signs, regardless of what anyone has told you from their experience!  Remember, you might get pulled aside for random checks (even with precheck, as happened to my wife on 2 of 8 flights on our latest Hawaii trip). Don't complain, just let them open your bag or turn on your phone, and you will speed along.

As for packing, review the TSA guidelines and requirements. Make sure you have examined every crevice of your carryons--I forgot a nice Swiss Army knife and had to part with it. Don't expect to carry any drinks through the screening--they no longer allow coffee or soda (buy it in the shops near the gate).

You can put food in your carry on, but don't let condiments screw you up. If you need salad dressing packets, put them in the qt bag with your other liquids. Also, we were pulled aside once because of a bucket of salted pecans, and our friend got delayed for full inspection because she brought 3 bags of coffee. The scanning equipment alerts on anything organic, and then they don't just look at it--they wipe the edges and sometimes the interior surface of the bag with chemical detection wipes to ensure against the food being used to cloak other materials. 

Finally, be aware that depending on the size of the plane or the number of passengers, you might end up having to check your bag at the gate if overhead bin storage is limited. (This seems to happen a lot for flights from small to mid-size cities like Columbia, Durham, and Knoxville.)  There is no charge for checking those bags (but they still had to go thru TSA), and they will be waiting for you on the jetway when you get off. But I always make sure my smaller under-the-seat carryon has my important papers, my meds, and anything I want during the flight--if you divvy your stuff up knowing one bag might have to be checked, you can save yourself some panicky rearranging while boarding.

My son is a TSA agent, so we have heard lots of stories in addition to our own experiences.

Oh, yeah, wearing those jeans with the holes in them might make you cooler in case of any long delays on the tarmac! 🥵 Have a nice flight and cruise!

• Like 2

Great advice, @mayleeman. I'll add that gate-checked bags do not always meet you on the jetway. The last three times we had to gate-check, we had to go to baggage claim. Fortunately, we had time. 

I used to get pulled for extra security 90% of the time, regardless of the airport or country. It became a running joke with my family. Since getting TSA Pre-Check this year, it hasn't happened, but if it does, I'll just roll with it. And, yes, being prepared and polite makes the process quicker. 

• Thanks 1

You could bring 3oz. of liquid fabric softener. Then in your cabin add it to 6oz of water in an empty spray bottle and have your own homemade wrinkle release spray.  I have also had luck with spraying wrinkles with water and then zapping them with my hairdryer on high. Best done with a fine mist sprayer and on fabrics that do not water stain. 

Mary Ann

9 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Great advice, @mayleeman. I'll add that gate-checked bags do not always meet you on the jetway. The last three times we had to gate-check, we had to go to baggage claim. Fortunately, we had time.

When they pull carry-on bags and gate-check them for lack of overhead space, it can occasionally be problematic if you have connecting flights.

Sometimes passengers cannot make connections for one reason or another (such as a flight cancellation), as happened to us when we got stuck overnight at a connecting airport without our carry-ons,  which had been gate-checked.

So we have learned to pull all necessities out of our carry-on bags  (including things that we will not need on the flight) before we let them take the bags away.

However, the Downy (or equivalent) does not fall into the necessities category, no matter how wrinkled we may be.

By the way, we found it to be totally useless for forehead wrinkles. 😉 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@NCteacherlovescruising If you haven't flown in a long time,  there are a couple of things you might want to keep in mind.

Allow for plenty of time at the airport. If they recommend 2 hrs, do it. Delays can happen anywhere  but especially in screening.  TSA agents appreciate it when you are prepared in the line--ID and boarding pass ready, jewelry and metal belts in your carryon, etc. They see grumpy and harried people literally nonstop, so smiles grease your way. Follow instructions on the signs, regardless of what anyone has told you from their experience!  Remember, you might get pulled aside for random checks (even with precheck, as happened to my wife on 2 of 8 flights on our latest Hawaii trip). Don't complain, just let them open your bag or turn on your phone, and you will speed along.

As for packing, review the TSA guidelines and requirements. Make sure you have examined every crevice of your carryons--I forgot a nice Swiss Army knife and had to part with it. Don't expect to carry any drinks through the screening--they no longer allow coffee or soda (buy it in the shops near the gate).

You can put food in your carry on, but don't let condiments screw you up. If you need salad dressing packets, put them in the qt bag with your other liquids. Also, we were pulled aside once because of a bucket of salted pecans, and our friend got delayed for full inspection because she brought 3 bags of coffee. The scanning equipment alerts on anything organic, and then they don't just look at it--they wipe the edges and sometimes the interior surface of the bag with chemical detection wipes to ensure against the food being used to cloak other materials. 

Finally, be aware that depending on the size of the plane or the number of passengers, you might end up having to check your bag at the gate if overhead bin storage is limited. (This seems to happen a lot for flights from small to mid-size cities like Columbia, Durham, and Knoxville.)  There is no charge for checking those bags (but they still had to go thru TSA), and they will be waiting for you on the jetway when you get off. But I always make sure my smaller under-the-seat carryon has my important papers, my meds, and anything I want during the flight--if you divvy your stuff up knowing one bag might have to be checked, you can save yourself some panicky rearranging while boarding.

My son is a TSA agent, so we have heard lots of stories in addition to our own experiences.

Oh, yeah, wearing those jeans with the holes in them might make you cooler in case of any long delays on the tarmac! 🥵 Have a nice flight and cruise!

@mayleeman - Great Recommendations - I would also add - put all food in your carry-on in a zip-loc bag or 2 (as large as needed).  Place the zip-loc bag(s) in the TSA bin for the quick security check.  If you have it out & available to see, prior to catching it on the machine - it goes much, much quicker!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, varoo said:

When they pull carry-on bags and gate-check them for lack of overhead space, it can occasionally be problematic if you have connecting flights.

This just happened to my DIL's mother, who arrived kind of late to the Maui airport. First, she got pulled for extra check in security (she had that coffee and hadn't listened to our son). So, she gets on the plane right before the doors close. When she landed in Phoenix, she had a tight connection and there was no room for her carryon suitcase, so it got checked (not the jetway type--went to baggage, marked for final). At her stopover in Charlotte, she managed to miss the announcements for her flight, so she had to take a later plane. Her other daughter here in Columbia had to go pick up her luggage from the 1st plane and then go back to get her 90 minutes later. So, she had about 8 hours of flying and waiting without any of the food, reading material, etc she had planned to carry with her.

We love her dearly but she is a bit of a ditz! Sitting at an airport gate and not noticing your flight is boarding...sigh.

So  final advice: Stay alert for announcements!

Edited by mayleeman

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

We love her dearly but she is a bit of a ditz! Sitting at an airport gate and not noticing your flight is boarding...sigh.

So  final advice: Stay alert for announcements!

You daughter-in-law's mother sounds like my mother. 

No, that's not a compliment.

😜