Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Glad you're on  board and covered if the ship gets a sudden order to LEAVE NOW!.  I hope you found a safe parking area and glad the disembarking passengers can move their cars before the storm hit.

Roy

Ha.  About 15 mins ago everyone with a cell phone got an alert to leave immediately.  The phones were chirping loudly.  Haha

14 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

Ha.  About 15 mins ago everyone with a cell phone got an alert to leave immediately.  The phones were chirping loudly.  Haha

You mean you have to leave the ship you just boarded??

13 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Does $300 even cover that?  You have to basically buy a last minute plane ticket!  No other compensation for your experience on this cruise?

It totally does, all airlines have dropped change over fees. And you just have to pay for price difference. I had to pay 179 per ticket for example. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Thank you very much.  On the ship at 10:55am.  Fastest I've ever boarded.  Very quick and painless.  Everyone Stay safe in your travels

We are on as well after a very trying ordeal to get here.  We had hotel reservations in Orangeburg which is about 60-70 miles north of Charleston.  We would have a quick hour drive into town and easily make it to the ship, right?  Well they closed I-26 at 5 AM so we had to travel on back roads all the way into town.  With the highway shut down everybody else had the same idea so it was bumper to bumper all of the way in.  Took us 2 1/2 hours.  Processing went very smoothly once we got here.  Whew!

1 hour ago, Raiderguy8 said:

We are on as well after a very trying ordeal to get here.  We had hotel reservations in Orangeburg which is about 60-70 miles north of Charleston.  We would have a quick hour drive into town and easily make it to the ship, right?  Well they closed I-26 at 5 AM so we had to travel on back roads all the way into town.  With the highway shut down everybody else had the same idea so it was bumper to bumper all of the way in.  Took us 2 1/2 hours.  Processing went very smoothly once we got here.  Whew!

Glad you got aboard Raiderguy8.  I'm assuming that's why sail away is delayed.

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

No we didn't.  Every phone in Charleston received the emergency alert at noon saying there was a mandatory evacuation.  It came too all the phones at the same time.  Seeing about 200 purple in a lobby grab their phones at the some time was quite humorous.

Have they said anything about when you would leave?

Roy

Mariner of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas both are showing Thursday ETAs on marinetraffic website.  Royal updated at 6pm with no changes but is saying they will have another 8pm update.  Allure and Majesty are still both showing Wednesday ETA at Port Everglades and Navigator in Miami.

Disney World closes at 3pm tomorrow.  FAA anticipates FLL to reopen at noon tomorrow.

Edited by AshleyDillo
  • Like 1

FLL airport is closed.  We are flying in on Friday AM.  I hope it's opened back up by then.  United will let us rebook, but there isn't anything left to rebook.  Ugh.  Everything should have gone through by then and I can't imagine it won't be back open by then.

Hope everyone stays safe.  I wish Dorian would just go out to sea.

2 hours ago, 3redheads said:

FLL airport is closed.  We are flying in on Friday AM.  I hope it's opened back up by then.  United will let us rebook, but there isn't anything left to rebook.  Ugh.  Everything should have gone through by then and I can't imagine it won't be back open by then.

Hope everyone stays safe.  I wish Dorian would just go out to sea.

FLL is scheduled to reopen at noon tomorrow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

RCL updated and they pushed back Harmony of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas to a Thursday arrival at Port Canaveral.

Yeah, so now our 7 day cruise is a 3 day cruise. Why the hell didn't they just cancel it? (trick question.... the answer is so they can hold onto the full cruise amount for a "future" cruise). Getting a really bad taste in how cruise lines handle guests.

4 minutes ago, txfeinbergs said:

Yeah, so now our 7 day cruise is a 3 day cruise. Why the hell didn't they just cancel it? (trick question.... the answer is so they can hold onto the full cruise amount for a "future" cruise). Getting a really bad taste in how cruise lines handle guests.

Yep..pretty much across the board.  In their eyes they're at least giving you the option to cancel and get something back whereas they don't HAVE to.  Don't worry, if you call them and let them know you're cancelling in advance they will gladly sell your cabin to someone currently on board that wishes to extend for that 3 day or to someone on the Mariner sailing that got cancelled  😉

Dorian is starting to move NW now.  So the next 24 hours are the critical time for Florida.

Glad to see the US Coast Guard was in the Bahamas yesterday very fast to rescue stranded and injured people.

Very glad to see the Miami Dade effort to collect supplies left over for the Bahamas relief.

And also for the woman who runs the dog shelter in Nassau who took 97 dogs to her home. Publicity for that has raised over $50,000 for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

Dorian is starting to move NW now.  So the next 24 hours are the critical time for Florida.

Glad to see the US Coast Guard was in the Bahamas yesterday very fast to rescue stranded and injured people.

Very glad to see the Miami Dade effort to collect supplies left over for the Bahamas relief.

And also for the woman who runs the dog shelter in Nassau who took 97 dogs to her home. Publicity for that has raised over $50,000 for them.

Happy to see the the U.S. is helping out in the Bahamas.

https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/coast-guard-crews-move-in-to-help-bahamians-affected-by-hurricane-dorian/

https://www.breitbart.com/news/u-s-coast-guard-responds-to-bahamas-five-deaths-confirmed/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

SFB ( Sanford - North Orlando ) is currently closed indefinitely ... large Allegiant 'hub'

Updated status of FL airports.

Been following the thread; thanks for all of the information.  Lots and lots of passengers experiencing some pretty tough circumstances.  GLTA.

airports.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

All I know is that I had an Uncle in the Coast Guard and it is hard work. I don't think most  people realize the

danger they put themselves in for others. I admire that branch of service and also the US for coming

to the aid of the Bahamian people.

Edited by Peachypooh
  • Like 1

I can only imagine how disappointing it is to those who had cruises booked and are having transportation issues, or having problems with getting credits and refunds.   That said, most would be the same people screaming and yelling if the ship sailed and the seas were rough and activities on the ship get limited or curtailed.   You would be unhappy with your chosen cruiseline then as well.  You would be up in arms that they sailed in these conditions and then dared to change the itinerary or dared to limit any activities on the ship.   People who want to complain will complain about anything. 
This is just a chance you take if you book a cruise during hurricane season.  I wouldn't care if the cruise lines were giving away cruises between August and October. I would not dare book. There is a greater than average chance that the itinerary will change, the cruise will be shortened or cancelled, and one will get less back for their travel arrangements than they would like. 
If you are having issues with hotels though, please do call and ask nicely about them refunding rooms if you cancel.  Many are being extremely lenient due to the weather conditions.
I have booked and cancelled numerous reservations during hurricane season and most places are exceedingly generous and easy to work with when they are dealing with hurricane related situations. 
I know this is disappointing for many people. I really do. I understand the frustration, but if you don't know you are taking a HUGE risk by booking during the height of hurricane season, then you now more aware.  IF you do know you are taking a huge risk by booking during hurricane season and you choose to book anyhow, then much of the situation falls on you and not the cruise line.  They are doing what they can to keep everyone safe and to keep their vessels safe.  

2 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

All I know is that I had an Uncle in the Coast Guard and it is hard work. I don't think most  people realize the

danger they put themselves in for others. I admire that branch of service and also the US for coming

to the aid of the Bahamian people.

I agree it is real hard work and I an thankful for all our armed forces and what they do..  I am very happy to see the US helping.  The Bahamas really needs help.

One of the things that I miss about being up north for the winter are the Air Force planes that were always flying by us. This pass winter there were B-15 & B-16 buzzing our condo.  Great to see, but loud.   I also miss shopping on the base (Patrick AFB) .  We could watch the plane land and take off .  Nice to see.

Edited by geocruiser

41 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

I can only imagine how disappointing it is to those who had cruises booked and are having transportation issues, or having problems with getting credits and refunds.   That said, most would be the same people screaming and yelling if the ship sailed and the seas were rough and activities on the ship get limited or curtailed.   You would be unhappy with your chosen cruiseline then as well.  You would be up in arms that they sailed in these conditions and then dared to change the itinerary or dared to limit any activities on the ship.   People who want to complain will complain about anything. 
This is just a chance you take if you book a cruise during hurricane season.  I wouldn't care if the cruise lines were giving away cruises between August and October. I would not dare book. There is a greater than average chance that the itinerary will change, the cruise will be shortened or cancelled, and one will get less back for their travel arrangements than they would like. 
If you are having issues with hotels though, please do call and ask nicely about them refunding rooms if you cancel.  Many are being extremely lenient due to the weather conditions.
I have booked and cancelled numerous reservations during hurricane season and most places are exceedingly generous and easy to work with when they are dealing with hurricane related situations. 
I know this is disappointing for many people. I really do. I understand the frustration, but if you don't know you are taking a HUGE risk by booking during the height of hurricane season, then you now more aware.  IF you do know you are taking a huge risk by booking during hurricane season and you choose to book anyhow, then much of the situation falls on you and not the cruise line.  They are doing what they can to keep everyone safe and to keep their vessels safe.  

Like you I don't cruise during hurricane season.  I think the issue that most people here on this thread was not knowing what was going to happen.

As for your statement

It falls on the cruise line too for sailing in the Caribbean  during the hurricane season.  Are they not taking the same risk?