Any recently reported illnesses from Bliss or Joy in Alaska?

Snuffie

A dear friend of mine took very ill after a recent cruise on Bliss then a week later on Joy in Alaska. 

Anyone else know of others who were stricken with illness?

Edited by Snuffie
Typo

Any illnesses on any cruise ships usually hit these boards pretty quickly. Haven’t heard of any AK cruise that was struck with an illness recently.  Last I heard of any cruise in AK with a significant illness outbreak was over a year ago on a Holland America ship (I think).

1 hour ago, Snuffie said:

Posting again to see if any outbreaks of Sepsis. 

I didn’t report specifics in original post. 

Thank you.  

Sepsis is very serious as illness goes.

I would think if this was contracted onboard, it would have been reported.  Always good reminder- use good hygiene habits when traveling. Repeated washing of hands and covering coughs and sneezes with elbow.  I always wash hands after serving myself from buffet /before eating. Who knows what is on the serving utensils. 

Best wishes to your friend. 

What was the source of the sepsis?  Lungs? An Urinary  Track Infection, or a Gastrointestinal ailment?  Hope your friend is doing better.  

I agree with other posters, that  significant illness onboard are reported here very quickly. And these are 2 very large ships. It would be prudent of your fiend’s physician to contact the cruise line or the ship’s physician as part of the diagnostic process. The physician would also need to report any significant findings.  Any information there? 

We were in Alaska last week on the Royal Princess, following/ leading both ships throughout the week.   We did not notice any  air pollution from the fires, Until we docked in Whittier.  Definitely the fires are an issue right now, but located inland.  

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery. 

Travelling alone can cause various degrees of illness. Airports, tourist areas, any sort of mode of travel.

I didn't think sepsis was contagious either. Its usually from some sort of infection. So did they start to feel sick and then it turned into sepsis.

12 minutes ago, packer99 said:

Travelling alone can cause various degrees of illness. Airports, tourist areas, any sort of mode of travel.

I didn't think sepsis was contagious either. Its usually from some sort of infection. So did they start to feel sick and then it turned into sepsis.

I travel alone all the time now, what does that have to do with price of tea in china, absolutely nothing, JMO and personal experience.  Sepsis, IIRC, is caused by a bacteria which can subsist in the body for a while prior to becoming a serious problem.

My guess would be that this person may have been ill prior to the cruise.  It is, however, just a guess. 

OP, I hope your friend receives the care and attention they need and makes a full recovery. 

10 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I travel alone all the time now, what does that have to do with price of tea in china, absolutely nothing, JMO and personal experience.  Sepsis, IIRC, is caused by a bacteria which can subsist in the body for a while prior to becoming a serious problem.

My guess would be that this person may have been ill prior to the cruise.  It is, however, just a guess. 

OP, I hope your friend receives the care and attention they need and makes a full recovery. 

I think they meant travelling, alone, as in the act of travelling in and of itself can lead to sickness.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

With heavy heart my friend passed away 7 days after his return from Alaska on NCL Joy. 

He he was in good health and only 65. Not even on any prescriptions!

He contracted Sepsis/Strep A/ NF of stomach. 

He never got off the ship as he was just on the Bliss prior.  

Heartbroken.  

1 minute ago, Snuffie said:

With heavy heart my friend passed away 7 days after his return from Alaska on NCL Joy. 

Heartbroken.  

I am so sorry. 

14 hours ago, Snuffie said:

Posting again to see if any outbreaks of Sepsis. 

I didn’t report specifics in original post. 

Thank you.  

There are no "outbreaks" of sepsis. Sepsis is a body's response to an infection, and it can be almost any infection. Sepsis is not transmitted nor contagious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snuffie said:

Heartbroken.  

I am very, very, sorry for your loss.

Be comforted by the fact that being taken by sepsis is often quite painless, and can be a very calm experience towards the end. 

Would you mind being a little bit more specific about your friends illness.

By 'NF' do you mean Necrotizing Fasciitis? Did he have a hernia or recent abdominal surgery?

By 'Stomach' do you mean literally his stomach, or his abdomen/abdominal wall?

Was he a Diabetic or heavy smoker?

As an aside, take great care to not get cuts or blisters on your feet, keep all wounds covered, and don't walk around inside your cabin, in tiled bathrooms, or public areas in bare feet. Ever. If you do have any open wounds or grazes, avoid hot tubs, and the pools. At the first sign of any boil, fever or wound redness/discoloration go immediately to the sickbay. Consider taking bleach wipes to wipe down your bathroom and countertops when you board. Use Purell and wash your hands. A lot. If anyone coughs or sneezes around you, immediately go in the opposite direction, or breathe into your shirt until you can get away.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

There are no "outbreaks" of sepsis. Sepsis is a body's response to an infection, and it can be almost any infection. Sepsis is not transmitted nor contagious.

The various bacteria that cause sepsis can be highly contagious, and can remain viable on exposed dry surfaces for many days. As you know you don't 'catch' sepsis, you pick up and get infected by the bacteria that causes it, and have a 1 in 3 chance of dying because of it. Any sort of break in the skin's surface is enough to let the bacteria in. Bathrooms are my secret terror.

6 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

I am very, very, sorry for your loss.

Be comforted by the fact that being taken by sepsis is often quite painless, and can be a very calm experience towards the end. 

Would you mind being a little bit more specific about your friends illness.

By 'NF' do you mean Necrotizing Fasciitis? Did he have a hernia or recent abdominal surgery?

By 'Stomach' do you mean literally his stomach, or his abdomen/abdominal wall?

Was he a Diabetic or heavy smoker?

As an aside, take great care to not get cuts or blisters on your feet, keep all wounds covered, and don't walk around inside your cabin, in tiled bathrooms, or public areas in bare feet. Ever. If you do have any open wounds or grazes, avoid hot tubs, and the pools. At the first sign of any boil, fever or wound redness/discoloration go immediately to the sickbay. Consider taking bleach wipes to wipe down your bathroom and countertops when you board. Use Purell and wash your hands. A lot. If anyone coughs or sneezes around you, immediately go in the opposite direction, or breathe into your shirt until you can get away.

Thank you for your condolences.  Yes Necrotizing Fasciitis of the Stomach.  He did not have a hernia or abdominal surgery.  He did not smoke or was a Diabetic. He only ate once in the buffet area, rest of the time in specialty restaurants. He was in great health for a 65 year old man.  

Good advice to everyone on walking bare foot in cabins or public areas as well as using bleach wipes, etc.

4 minutes ago, Snuffie said:

Thank you for your condolences.  Yes Necrotizing Fasciitis of the Stomach.  He did not have a hernia or abdominal surgery.  He did not smoke or was a Diabetic. He only ate once in the buffet area, rest of the time in specialty restaurants. He was in great health for a 65 year old man.  

Good advice to everyone on walking bare foot in cabins or public areas as well as using bleach wipes, etc.

Since the OP seems to be missing what was already said about sepsis, let me repeat:

Sepsis is not a contagious disease.

If you're going to get it, you get it because you're sick.  Not because you were on a ship, or a plane, or a scooter or safely at home.

It is a response in the body to infection that isn't treated properly.

So this person was likely already sick when he got on to the ship.

But for the rest of you reading this, the reason to wash your hands and avoid coughing on a ship is because of NOROVIRUS.  Not because of Sepsis.

Sepsis is not a new thing you need to worry about.  Unless of course you have an internal infection.  In which case you're probably already doomed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Since the OP seems to be missing what was already said about sepsis, let me repeat:

Sepsis is not a contagious disease.

If you're going to get it, you get it because you're sick.  Not because you were on a ship, or a plane, or a scooter or safely at home.

It is a response in the body to infection that isn't treated properly.

So this person was likely already sick when he got on to the ship.

But for the rest of you reading this, the reason to wash your hands and avoid coughing on a ship is because of NOROVIRUS.  Not because of Sepsis.

Sepsis is not a new thing you need to worry about.  Unless of course you have an internal infection.  In which case you're probably already doomed.

You might want to do some more research on this topic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a good website. It is very informative.

2 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

You might want to do some more research on this topic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a good website. It is very informative.

from the CDC website   "Sepsis happens when an infection you already have —in your skin, lungs, urinary tract, or somewhere else—triggers a chain reaction throughout your body."

Bolded for emphasis

• Like 1