What are your Hurricane thoughts?

czexrus

PORT MIAMI

·         Carnival Sensation 08/31/19 – We have reversed the order of our port visits.  We will now visit Grand Turk on 9/2, Half Moon Cay on 9/3 and Nassau on 9/4.  Pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions will be automatically adjusted.  Full itinerary details will be sent by email.

The challenge for cruise lines, airlines and passengers in planning... is the fact that so much of the path and strength is unknown. We have sailed the last 3 years during peak hurricane season... I start watching the seas a month before we sail.. and ruminate about it up until we depart. Just a about 48 hours ago... looked like it could be a category 1 or 2... no biggie in the grand scheme of things... now category 3 to 4... and so it is more of a holy cow situation.

Years ago....many years ago... I visited Galveston on a business trip. I recall discussions of the great hurricane that hit them earlier in the 1900s.... in those days... no weather forecasts... storm essentially came out of nowhere. Now we have so much more information... yet we still don't know exactly when, where or how strong... but at least we know something is coming.

I feel for those who live in the path of frequent storms... the need to decide to board up... not board up... leave... stay... has to be stressful.

Earlier this year we lost a very good friend... and I blame Harvey, Irma and Marie. Our friend lived in Orlando... everytime a hurricane was likely to hit he would get out and board up his house and live in the dark for a few days until it was clear... Then he would get out and clean up the damage. Last fall he did so and in the process contracted a fungus which he must have inhaled while clearing tree limbs from his roof... he died about 2 months after the season from coccidioidomycosis. So for those who stay behind to clean up... please use masks.   

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't want to be the forecaster trying to decide what is best for 10,000's of people on cruise ships this weekend.  The governor of Florida has already declared a state of emergency but no evacuation orders yet, I guess it is too far out at this point.

6 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

I wouldn't want to be the forecaster trying to decide what is best for 10,000's of people on cruise ships this weekend.  The governor of Florida has already declared a state of emergency but no evacuation orders yet, I guess it is too far out at this point.

I live about 20 min south of port canaveral. Evacuation warnings won't start until at least tomorrow. We don't even get a decision from the public schools until later today (they would be the shelters). We are supposed to sail on the Breeze on Saturday. Shutters up, everything brought indoors and turning a vacation into an evacuation (assuming we still sail)

34 minutes ago, BandBWCsmom said:

I live about 20 min south of port canaveral. Evacuation warnings won't start until at least tomorrow. We don't even get a decision from the public schools until later today (they would be the shelters). We are supposed to sail on the Breeze on Saturday. Shutters up, everything brought indoors and turning a vacation into an evacuation (assuming we still sail)

Wow, my daughter lives in Palm Beach Gardens and is not sure where to go, at least you have a vacation planned.  Unless the hurricane gains speed, I assume the kids will have school tomorrow.  I think it was 2 years ago in September that they had to evacuate and miss a week of school.  

Models are all over the place.  Some are starting to turn more north.  All going to depend on the movement of the highs in the Atlantic, NW  Fl and SE Fl.   However current projections are for reaching Central Fl East Coast around Vero Beach on early Tuesday.  So weekend debarks and embarks in all Fl Eastern ports should go on as scheduled.   Key to watch is how far the storm turns west on Friday.

23 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Models are all over the place.  Some are starting to turn more north.  All going to depend on the movement of the highs in the Atlantic, NW  Fl and SE Fl.   However current projections are for reaching Central Fl East Coast around Vero Beach on early Tuesday.  So weekend debarks and embarks in all Fl Eastern ports should go on as scheduled.   Key to watch is how far the storm turns west on Friday.

Well that is a reach for you to say... fact is, when they shut down the port...it is shut down. It makes no difference when the eye comes ashore...here on the east coast of FL we will be feeling the effects well before landfall.  Unless there is a dramatic shift  in track (unlikely at this point) The schedule in or out starting Sunday in Port Canaveral will be adversely effected.

34 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I am really curious to see what happens with this storm. We are doing a 3 day cruise on Liberty tomorrow. Not worried at all about tomorrow, but will be interesting to see if we still go to Nassau on Saturday and if we still get back to Port Canaveral on Monday morning. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am really curious to see what happens with this storm. We are doing a 3 day cruise on Liberty tomorrow. Not worried at all about tomorrow, but will be interesting to see if we still go to Nassau on Saturday and if we still get back to Port Canaveral on Monday morning. 

I am leaving tomorrow as well....I am packing extra clothes as I see no way around it not becoming an extended cruise.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I would be a little concerned, landfall (somewhere) early Monday morning.  If the northern track holds, it would be West Palm area (did not see the 11AM update on the cone).  If the European model (which tends to be more accurate, then lower FLorida (and us across the state) are on target.  Hanging out to see or being bussed back up a concern for you?

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would be a little concerned, landfall (somewhere) early Monday morning.  If the northern track holds, it would be West Palm area (did not see the 11AM update on the cone).  If the European model (which tends to be more accurate, then lower FLorida (and us across the state) are on target.  Hanging out to see or being bussed back up a concern for you?

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurricane/hurricane-dorian-8-29-19

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for word from Carnival.  I am supposed to do this 3 day and then get on Elation for a 5 day.  Elation passangers today were handed a note before they boarded  saying they may not be able  to dock on Monday.   What do you think this means for our 3 day?  Will we go?  Will they cancel?

28 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am hoping for an extra day at sea. I already told my boss if I am not at work Tuesday morning, I am still on the ship or driving home a day late. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jenn1974 said:

I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for word from Carnival.  I am supposed to do this 3 day and then get on Elation for a 5 day.  Elation passangers today were handed a note before they boarded  saying they may not be able  to dock on Monday.   What do you think this means for our 3 day?  Will we go?  Will they cancel?

No doubt in my mind the cruise will go as scheduled tomorrow. Depending on the storm, the ship could be delayed getting back to Port Canaveral, which coincides with the note Elation passengers received. 

• Like 1

Weather Update – August 29, 2019 | 1:00 PM (ET)

Our Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring Hurricane Dorian’s potential impact on the departures listed below. Given that storms can be so uncertain, this information reflects our plan for these sailings based on the current forecast and is subject to change.

As the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority, we will continue to keep an eye on the storm, factor in guidance from the National Hurricane Center, and provide timely updates as more information becomes available.

The following homeports and ships remain under watch:

CHARLESTON

· Carnival Sunshine 08/29/19 – Instead of Princess Cays on Saturday, we plan to visit Key West from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

· Carnival Sunshine 09/02/19 – Still evaluating. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CRUISE (278473) to CCL3.

There is a possibility that Carnival Sunshine may not be able to return to Charleston on Monday. If the port is closed, the ship will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port.

FORT LAUDERDALE (PORT EVERGLADES)

· Carnival Magic 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

JACKSONVILLE

· Carnival Ecstasy 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

PORT CANAVERAL

· Carnival Elation 08/29/19 - We plan to visit Nassau as scheduled on Friday. We will inform our guests whether we can visit Freeport on Sunday.

· Carnival Elation 09/02/19 – Still evaluating. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CRUISE (278473) to CCL1.

· Carnival Liberty 08/30/19 – We plan to depart as planned. Our visit to Nassau will be shortened to 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Saturday.

· Carnival Liberty 09/02/19 – Still evaluating. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CRUISE (278473) to CCL2.

There is a possibility that Carnival Elation and Carnival Liberty may not be able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. If the port is closed, the ships will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port.

· Carnival Breeze 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

PORTMIAMI

· Carnival Conquest – 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

· Carnival Horizon – 09/01/19 – Still evaluating. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CRUISE (278473) to CCL5.

· Carnival Sensation 08/31/19 – We will now visit Grand Turk on 9/2, Half Moon Cay on 9/3 and Nassau on 9/4.

· Carnival Victory 08/30/19 – We have replaced our call to Nassau with a visit to Key West on Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

· Carnival Victory 09/02/19 – Still evaluating. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CRUISE (278473) to CCL6.

There is a possibility that Carnival Victory may not be able to return to Miami on Monday. If the port is closed, the ship will be in position to dock as soon as the authorities have reopened the port.

TAMPA

· Carnival Paradise 08/31/19 – No change to itinerary; we plan to operate as scheduled.

· Carnival Miracle 09/01/19 – Still evaluating. Please sign up for text alerts by texting CRUISE ((278473) to CCL4.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

We're a little farther south than you, about 35 minutes from the port. We're in full hurricane preparedness mode. Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best.

4 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

My mother-in-law lives on Merritt Island (10 minutes from Port Canaveral) and they are evacuating tomorrow. They are hearing a forecast that says Dorian is going to be a cat 4 by the time it hits land.

That's what NOAA is saying now. Cat 4. No official evacuations ordered yet, but everyone we know on beachside is evacuating.