What are your Hurricane thoughts?

czexrus

Eh.  It's a baby storm.  I doubt there will be much to worry about at all.  75mph is a typical afternoon thunderstorm around here 🙂  We likely won't even bother taking the patio furniture in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

We sail the Breeze on Saturday (if it happens) and live just south of Port Canaveral so I understand the dual worries. When they cancel, how does that work? We do have trip insurance, but really want to do a vacation soonest. Just a straight refund? 

I could be wrong, in 2017, when there were 3 or 4 hurricanes, if Carnival cancelled, they gave people a full refund and a 25% off the next cruise.

On 8/27/2019 at 6:35 AM, Joebucks said:

I don't know a lot about this storm or its path. The only thing I would worry about is if the hurricane impacts your flight/embarkation. Once you are on the boat, there is little to worry about. The cruising companies will do everything in their power to not cancel a cruise. This will often include a reroute if need be

2 years a ago when the Hurricane went though the Miami Area no power on South Beach & the Airport was limit service the Cruise went on. Also at that time the Hurricane was building that went though PR the ship just kept going west to miss the weather.

Went to different ports but was safe all the time.

I see Fascination is in Nevis... next stop St Lucia. I wonder how their weather is at the moment and if they will stay until the storm passes before heading back out. I don't see any other cruise ships in the area of the storm. Since it is still a tropical storm... perhaps they will stay in port a bit longer than normal and allow bulk of storm to pass... 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, Joe817 said:

Well, RCCL does have their own full time staff meteorologist, James van Fleet and to my understanding, the only cruise line in the industry to have one. So their info may be more current. I wish Carnival would follow suit.  

All of the forecasters use computer models and information gathered by the C130 Hurricane Hunters to make their predictions and the models usually have a large variation of path so having your own meteorologist does not mean you have any more insight.  All shipping companies including CCL have access to all of the latest information coming from all the different sources and they will make their decisions based on that information. Unless RCCL has their own satellite, data buoys, and hurricane hunter aircraft, van Fleet is not getting any information not available to the weather channel guys or any other meteorologist. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BNBR said:

Eh.  It's a baby storm.  I doubt there will be much to worry about at all.  75mph is a typical afternoon thunderstorm around here 🙂  We likely won't even bother taking the patio furniture in.

check again, growing to a Cat 3

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BNBR said:

Not no more if the weekend projection is correct.

20 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

If the cruise line cancels the cruise you will get a full refund for everything you purchased back on your card. If you prepaid parking that you will need to check on. Most parking places have a cancellation fee. If they will wave it because of the canceled cruise I do not know. I have travel insurance with my charge card from Bank of America. It is excellent, but I have it in case I have a problem taking my cruise or a medical problem on the cruise or before.

Also if you have used gift cards, the amount will go back to a gift card.

4 hours ago, kearney said:

I see Fascination is in Nevis... next stop St Lucia. I wonder how their weather is at the moment 

This is a neat site - scroll down on the right side and you can pick an island and get a report of what's happening from an actual resident:

stormcarib.com

Looks like they're reporting Nevis had around 3" of rain and St Lucia is all clear of Dorian (and was a "non-event"). :classic_biggrin:

29 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Not no more if the weekend projection is correct.

Well, if the projections hold, it'll go well north of South Florida and we'll get minor impact down here.  Anyways, nowadays it's all about the hurricane parties!

5 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

This is a neat site - scroll down on the right side and you can pick an island and get a report of what's happening from an actual resident:

stormcarib.com

Looks like they're reporting Nevis had around 3" of rain and St Lucia is all clear of Dorian (and was a "non-event"). :classic_biggrin:

Cool.... need to bookmark this... 

1 minute ago, kearney said:

Cool.... need to bookmark this... 

Yeah it's really interesting - after the last storms they had all kinds of info and photos of their island and what was damaged.

I had to laugh when I read this from the Puerto Rico correspondent:

Lines are growing longer, and tempers shorter.  Lines up to a block long have been seen at cash machines.  Many of these machines are now out of funds, causing growing frustration as banks are closed. In one local shopping centre, crowds jockeyed for parking spaces, resulting in at least two vehicle accidents, one of which was followed by a physical altercation between the drivers.

Sounds about like what might be happening here in FL in a couple days LOL

8 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Yeah it's really interesting - after the last storms they had all kinds of info and photos of their island and what was damaged.

Lines are growing longer, and tempers shorter.  Lines up to a block long have been seen at cash machines.  Many of these machines are now out of funds, causing growing frustration as banks are closed. In one local shopping centre, crowds jockeyed for parking spaces, resulting in at least two vehicle accidents, one of which was followed by a physical altercation between the drivers.

Sounds about like what might be happening here in FL in a couple days LOL

Forget a couple of days. We just went to Walmart for a few items and it was packed. The gas stations, cars in line and already have bags over some of the nozzles. Port Saint Lucie

5 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Before Maria, I would’ve laughed about that too. But after Maria, not so much. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, and still have many family members and friends who live there. After surviving Maria, and after months of no electricity, water, basic services, many loosing loved ones, their homes permanently, as well as all the other struggles associated with that hurricane, there’s a lot of people there who are dealing with certifiable PTSD and mental anguish over the possibility of having to face that situation again. They will overreact in ways that may seem comical, but with deeper understanding, it’s actually sad. 

For about 20 years before Maria, Puerto Rico didn’t experience a direct hit from a major hurricane, so hurricane parties and excitement about a hurricane approaching used to be common as many people in the island had not lived through a major hurricane. That all changed with Maria. 

• Like 4

Sorry Tapi, no disrespect to any hurricane survivors, especially as I have been through five now myself and am in the bullseye for Dorian right now - it's either laugh or cry and must be a type of "gallows humor" that comes with the stress of the unknown heading my way....I apologize for any offense, and should have worded it better. 

• Like 1

If anyone is cruising out of Miami this weekend i think you’ll be ok. Dorian is definitely looking to hit the northeast part of Florida. 

Looks lime Puerto Rico will get strong winds and rain.. nothing like Maria, but I’m sure they want this night to get over with.

Edit:

actually looks like Puerto Rico is going to get lucky and this storm is going to just clip the northeast part of it... San Juan being part of it.

Dorian continues to keep tracking more and more northeast.. I wouldn’t be surprised in the end if it misses Florida completely and hits the Carolinas instead.

Edited by Cookson

20 minutes ago, Cookson said:

If anyone is cruising out of Miami this weekend i think you’ll be ok. Dorian is definitely looking to hit the northeast part of Florida. 

Looks lime Puerto Rico will get strong winds and rain.. nothing like Maria, but I’m sure they want this night to get over with.

Edit:

actually looks like Puerto Rico is going to get lucky and this storm is going to just clip the northeast part of it... San Juan being part of it.

Dorian continues to keep tracking more and more northeast.. I wouldn’t be surprised in the end if it misses Florida completely and hits the Carolinas instead.

The consensus is that there is no consensus. The cone still includes south Florida. They have said repeatedly that because the storm is small it is unpredictable. Tracks could dramatically shift taking it to south Florida or ga/s Carolina. 

29 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Sorry Tapi, no disrespect to any hurricane survivors, especially as I have been through five now myself and am in the bullseye for Dorian right now

No worries. And my apologies if I sound as if was lecturing. Friends had to explain this new mentality to me because I didn’t get it. 

When I was growing up in PR, the mentality was that people would beg for a hurricane to come because it meant no school or work, and an excuse to party. Supermarkets would run out of beer and liquor before bread and water! 😂Those are now distant memories.

With that said, I wish that you and all your loved ones are safe, not only during Dorian, but during the entire hurricane season and beyond. 

5 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

How can you say Carnival always wait until the last minute if it only happened once to you? 

That has been my experience and the experience of several of my friends who live in Florida. Carnival has a history of waiting until people are at the terminal or on the ship before letting them know about itinerary changes.  

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:13 AM, czexrus said:

Going on the carnival sensation; out of Miami to Nassau on Saturday. Do you think carnival will change itinerary?  

one thing you can be assured of is that you'll be kept safe by ccl. they will make changes if necessary to do that but wont make a hasty decision. the breeze is skipping Puerto rico and staying at sea. they thought about skipping st Thomas yesterday but did not and had no trouble getting in and out with fairly calm seas. today st Thomas is getting hit hard so they made the right call yesterday. the sunrise is going through the same areas and they are rearranging the order of the islands they are stopping at. 

Edited by RRLLAL

On 8/27/2019 at 7:50 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

My thoughts are RCCL has already announced itinerary changes for several ships, what’s taking Carnival so long to do the same thing???

Have you ever seen a hurricane change course?

On 8/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Does RCCL have access to weather forecasts that are not available to Carnival?  I am not trying to knock Carnival, but it would be nice if they were proactive like RCCL so guests would know where their cruise is going and more importantly know that they are not cruising near the predicted path of the storm. 

A question I do not know the answer to, how many ships does Royal have sailing from Florida east coast vs Carnival?