Breakaway to Western Caribbean 9/1 in Haven

graphicguy

23 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Amex still has the cruise privileges program that gives up to $300 OBC on NCL. If you booked thru the TA i'm thinking of "AmericanDisc....cruises" then they also still have it. I emailed them a few days ago about the points thing and they said that they still have it.

Them's the folks.  It's usually applied the first day of the cruise.  Since the cruise was cancelled, I never saw it.  On their front page, I didn't see the AMEX offer this time.  They did have a blurb about AMEX points, though.

Thanks for the update.

21 hours ago, emm126 said:

HI Graphicguy- sorry about the cruise not working out but I think you got wrong info. Amex still has the Cruise program. I am going on a cruise this weekend and have it, also have it for my November cruise I just booked so that is strange. I book my travel thru an amex office and sometimes they offer bonus points when I book as well, so maybe that is what they are talking about? Right now If I book HAL, Cunard, Princess or Seabourn I would get 5 times the points. I would double check as that is a great benefit. Have a great cruise no matter what you book!

Edit to add. You know what it might, Last time I used my platinum card to pay off my cruise, instead of receiving $100 credit to my card as I have received in the past, I got bonus membership rewards points. Maybe that is what she is confusing.

Thanks...saw the AMEX OBC in the previous post. 

I think the other issue was the airfare getting to Copenhagen.  Since British Airways went on strike, my airfare went up 3X ($2,000 for an economy seat )😮

There were 6 or 7 Haven Cabins left when I looked initially that were priced right at $4K, which is quite the bargain for a 9 nite cruise....especially with all the perks thrown in, too....plus the OBC.  Those were all snatched up in less than 24 hours while I was trying to make flight and hotel arrangements.

I'm pretty keen on getting deals.  I'm looking at other cruise lines, too.  I've got "use it or lose it" vacation time that I'm bound and determined not to lose.

Edited by graphicguy

Haven’t been snoozing on using “use it or lose it” vacation time.  Have to use it this quarter, which ends this month.  Got an exemption extending vacation time into first week of Oct.

Based on that, I asked my TA to look into cruising on any line, any time.

-First up, back on Escape, same itinerary as before, sailing 9/29, in the Haven (actually $200 cheaper than the 9/1 cruise) out of Miami, about $3,500 after subtracting OBC, Plus I get all the perks and still have $500 of Cruise Next Certs to apply.

-2nd, RCCL Harmony of the Seas, sailing out of Canaveral on 9/29, Oceanview Balcony Cabin, with OBC costs about $2,500, but no perks.

-3rd....and a little anxious about this one given the recent history, Carnival Vista sailing 9/28  out of Galveston, TX.  What makes isn’t interesting is being able to sail in an Aft-Facing Havana Cabin.  Price would be about $2,500 after subtracting OBC.

-4th....MSC Seaside sailing out of Miami on 9/28 in an inside Yacht Club Cabin with Drink and WiFi packages for $2,800 after OBC.

Comments from the peanut gallery?

• Like 2

First; It is the breakayway, not escape

Is it a spa suite or normal one?

If spa take that one and use you $500 CruiseNext deposit

I would not do the 2nd for the bucks and 3rd scares me a bit too

4th could be good one too, if you do like meditaranian food and italien style and from what I read and saw the overall YC complex is nicer there.

Since I am Platinum with NCL (Black with MSC too) and condisdering the route and all I would go NCL with a close second to MSC

GL

On 9/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, graphicguy said:

So, my TA, genuinely sorry about how this "non-cruise" turned out, sent me an email today with a 9 Day Cruise out of Copenhagen on the Getaway for about the same as I was going to spend on the Breakaway on 9/1 doing the Western Caribbean.

Talk about out of left field, but that's intriguing.  

I've sailed the Mediterranean on the MSC Meriviglia and loved it.  Copenhagen isn't even a cruise I've even thought about. 

This would also be in the Haven.

Opinions?

Or you could do the TA 10/20 - not sure what's open in Haven...

Why don't you look at the Celebrity Equinox departing Fort Lauderdale on Sept 23. It's 11 nights to southern Caribbean. Even though we are platinum with NCL, we sail other lines as well and the Equinox is our favorite of all the ships we have been on (going on her again in October).

18 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Why don't you look at the Celebrity Equinox departing Fort Lauderdale on Sept 23. It's 11 nights to southern Caribbean. Even though we are platinum with NCL, we sail other lines as well and the Equinox is our favorite of all the ships we have been on (going on her again in October).

Thanks.  I did look at that one.  For whatever reason (usually because I book so close to sail date), prices for Celebrity tend to be high.  For that cruise, the Veranda Class was close to $5K with the drink package.  I can stay in the Haven for about $1K less with NCL.

10 hours ago, blarko said:

They all sound good to me. I’d probably stay away from NCL for a bit. If it were me, I’d probably choose the Vista or MSC, most likely Vista. 

Vista is interesting.  But, I know she has had some ongoing issues with her propulsion systems...even recently.  I’m not adverse to risk though, obviously!

7 hours ago, Kalum said:

First; It is the breakayway, not escape

Is it a spa suite or normal one?

If spa take that one and use you $500 CruiseNext deposit

I would not do the 2nd for the bucks and 3rd scares me a bit too

4th could be good one too, if you do like meditaranian food and italien style and from what I read and saw the overall YC complex is nicer there.

Since I am Platinum with NCL (Black with MSC too) and condisdering the route and all I would go NCL with a close second to MSC

GL

Sorry....you’re right.  It is the Breakaway, not Escape.  Haven Spa Suite.

I’ve sailed all the other lines before. I like MSC (have a Black Card status match), once in the Mediterranean, which was an amazing cruise.

I have sailed Carnival in the past, but it was a long time ago.  I only sail them for the lower cost fares.  The Vista is a whole new “look” from what I’m used to for Carnival.  And, the Havana area looks to be amazing.  But, it was only a few weeks ago I saw it had yet again had propulsion problems.

Royal, I’ve sailed and liked.  Sailed Harmony a couple of years ago.  But, I’ve always ended up on my cruise with Royal feeling I’ve spent more (which I do by the end of the cruise) and liking it less than the others....especially with NO PERKS!  Pretty ships, though!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

Remember that there are some weird alcohol laws to deal with when you sail out of Texas -- I'm not sure how much that matters to you.

Good luck making your choice!

Really? I didn't know that.  Can you give me a "for instance"?

47 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Really? I didn't know that.  Can you give me a "for instance"?

Different cruise lines handle it differently.  It has to go with Texas taxing alcohol.  The link @All-ready2cruise provides sums it up pretty well.  Really only affects the sailaway day either by the drink package not being honored that day, having to pay the taxes on your drinks with the package, or being limited to a smaller selection of alcohol while you're still in Texas waters.

I'm not quite sure why you'd give NCL any more business right away, but that's just me.  As to Harmony having no perks, it's also $1000 cheaper so even by the time you add in a drink package it'll still be quite a bit less (but then if you add in specialty dining, etc., I figure it'll come out about the same).  As to the AMEX, you can book directly through the AMEX travel site or call one of their TA's.  I've done this and gotten OBC (and a free bottle of wine, IIRC).  Only issue is they don't seem to offer "deals" on the actual fare, don't seem to offer on their website cabins out of group discounts, etc.

42 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

I'm not quite sure why you'd give NCL any more business right away, but that's just me.  As to Harmony having no perks, it's also $1000 cheaper so even by the time you add in a drink package it'll still be quite a bit less (but then if you add in specialty dining, etc., I figure it'll come out about the same).  As to the AMEX, you can book directly through the AMEX travel site or call one of their TA's.  I've done this and gotten OBC (and a free bottle of wine, IIRC).  Only issue is they don't seem to offer "deals" on the actual fare, don't seem to offer on their website cabins out of group discounts, etc.

So, I do use AmEx Platinum to book, but I don't use AMEX travel.  I have my own TA that I've used quite a bit and passes quite a bit of OBC and perks on to me, regardless of what line I travel.

How does that all stack up?

Choosing NCL Haven Spa Suite, the cost is right around $4K for the cabin.  That does not include the Specialty Dining and Drinks tips.  Figure another $160 in addition.  AmEx Platinum (which my TA hands back to me) is $300.  Plus, AMEX throws in a free Specialty Dinner and a bottle of wine with the OBC.  TA's OBC is $300.  NCL gives me another $100 OBC for being Latitudes Platinum.  Say, $4,200 all in on the cruise, plus all drinks, 280 minutes of internet, $50 excursion credit, 3 more Specialty Dinners and throw in $700 of OBC. Trying to compare apples to oranges, let's say out of pocket with everything above is $3,500

Royal would be right around $2,500 for a Balcony Ocean View cabin.  Say, another $450 for drink package, not including tip.  Another $200 for Specialty Dinners (say 2 or 3), not including tip.  Another $100 for tips for drinks and dining.  $100 for internet, but subtract $100 OBC.  Out of pocket figures about $3,150.  But, I'm not in their suite and don't get Coastal Kitchen, Private pool, bar and lounge area, concierge, butler, etc like I'd get with the Haven.  And, while I don't know how much the spa access costs on Royal (if anything), the Spas on the Away ships are very nice and come with the Spa Cabins.

MSC.....I like the idea of the Yacht Club, but really don't want an inside cabin.  Pricing out Yacht Club Balcony is about on par with NCL Haven.

Carnival...maybe someday I'll try their Havana cabins, because I'd like to, but I have to be in a sort of "mind set" to sail Carnival.  But, this would be the least expensive alternative.

You can see where this is going.  I'm still PO'd at NCL, but I picked that cruise originally for a reason.  Gonna give it another shot.  TA says NCL is aware of the faux pas over Sept 1 and wouldn't be surprised if they try to do something to sweeten the cruise (but, I won't hold my breath). 

If interested, I'll start another thread for how this one goes.

Thanks for everyone's input.  Appreciated all of it.

• Like 2