Breakaway to Western Caribbean 9/1 in Haven

graphicguy

So sorry to hear about all the C—F—, GG, but here’s a real fact - from someone who lives in the Hurricane Alley ....

Even if the weather forecast look favorable, there is the matter of SEA forecast ... hurricanes usually bring very high surf ahead of their arrival to the regions hundred of miles from their eye or cone.

Just had a look in the Windy app and saw that high surf will soon be approaching to Miami, hence the Coast Guard’s decision to close POM.

If you don’t have it already, download the Windy app, and compare the wind and waves forecasts.

Those darn hurricanes can be so unpredictable.

GG, try to stay put - hire a car and drive down to Key West (it’s a fun place) - NCL will refund you for the portion of cruise with possible future credit. You’re already down in FL, try to make the most of it.

7 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Please update what they are offering to everyone when you find out. Since all the other lines gave some form of advanced notice I definitely wouldn't be happy with just a 100% cruise credit from NCL.  I hope they do the right thing and offer the $ back.

50% refund and 20% future cruise credit IF sailing on the modified itinerary plus a $300 voucher for flight change costs. 

Or

100% refund if you cancel by 9pm tonight. 

I guess it's fair, but I feel that they should offer a credit to anyone who cancels as well for the lack of communication. If I'm honest, I will probably end up rebooking another cruise for November/ December hopefully, but I would be lying to say I'm leaning towards NCL. Even though the cause of this isn't their fault, the lack of TIMELY communication is absolutely awful and has turned me off to NCL in general. I'm almost happy that this was canceled. I was having a hard time getting excited about the trip even while I was waiting for my flight. Ah, well anyway, I hope our luggage had a good time in Florida. I'll ask them about it when I pick them up from the airport today.

Screenshot_20190901-065149_Gmail.jpg

• Like 1

Again....appreciate everyone’s input.....especially those who live in FL.

Here are the facts.....

-I know the weather is not NCL’s fault.  Not mine, either!

-NCL claims our safety is paramount.  Yet, they want me to stay and wait for them to dock, sometime in the future (even they admit, they don’t know when that is, but it might be Wednesday) and “hang out” in a hurricane.  Docking and sailing right now must not be too safe given weather predictions.

-NCL had every opportunity to say what all of us already knew...”this storm/hurricane is a big deal.  It’s dangerous.  We can’t predict it.  It will probably affect your sailing....so much so, we offered the currency passengers the opportunity to disembark early in Mexico.  Your safety is paramount.  We’re cancelling your cruise as a result”.  This should have been done 72 hours ago when I could have saved myself a lot of money and time.  Right now, the outlook is even more dire as the port has closed.

-NCL has kept important information from me to make a decision while the rest of the cruise industry communicated fully and on a timely basis.  When NCL said thy’d communicate with me and/or my TA, it was way past their promised update time, or not updated at all.

-I’m on day 2 of this fiasco.  Now, I’m an additional $1,500 (and rising) out of pocket because of NCL’s lack of and largely insufficient communication.  Again, staying in FL even longer spending at least another $700-$800 based on NCL’s admittedly tepid belief this new, nearly halved cruise and itinerary is going to happen while a CAT4 or 5 passes by...well, does not instill one iota of confidence.

-NCL has offered me NOTHING,....and no promise of anything. No cruise refund.  No hotel, transportation refund, no food refund....ZILCH.  And, they want me to pony up more money to hang around in a dangerous storm when they could have cancelled days ago?  Why would I do that?  Would you want to go on this cruise now?  

I’m on the hook for about $5,500-$6000 for this vacation right now.  I’ve received nothing for it except grief and frustration.

They certainly don’t act like they care about their passengers or their safety by pulling this stunt.  I understand the passengers already on board are caught between a rock and a hard space.  There’s not much they can do about that situation (except maybe sail back to Mexico and let them disembark again, allowing the Breakaway to stay there until the storm blows over).

NCL did have input on my sailing, however.  Instead of stringing us along, trying to extract some money out of a bad situation by offering ½ the cruise we paid for (and might not be able to do that).  Should have cancelled with full refunds.

Just looked at MyNCL.  They show no reservations.  So now, I have to fight with them that I bought and paid for a cruise they have no record of.

I

Edited by graphicguy

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Again....appreciate everyone’s input.....especially those who live in FL.

Here are the facts.....

-I know the weather is not NCL’s fault.  Not mine, either!

-NCL claims our safety is paramount.  Yet, they want me to stay and wait for them to dock, sometime in the future (even they admit, they don’t know when that is, but it might be Wednesday) and “hang out” in a hurricane.  Docking and sailing right now must not be too safe given weather predictions.

-NCL had every opportunity to say what all of us already knew...”this storm/hurricane is a big deal.  It’s dangerous.  We can’t predict it.  It will probably affect your sailing....so much so, we offered the currency passengers the opportunity to disembark early in Mexico.  Your safety is paramount.  We’re cancelling your cruise as a result”.  This should have been done 72 hours ago when I could have saved myself a lot of money and time.  Right now, the outlook is even more dire as the port has closed.

-NCL has kept important information from me to make a decision while the rest of the cruise industry communicated fully and on a timely basis.  When NCL said thy’d communicate with me and/or my TA, it was way past their promised update time, or not updated at all.

-I’m on day 2 of this fiasco.  Now, I’m an additional $1,500 (and rising) out of pocket because of NCL’s lack of and largely insufficient communication.  Again, staying in FL even longer spending at least another $700-$800 based on NCL’s admittedly tepid belief this new, nearly halved cruise and itinerary is going to happen while a CAT4 or 5 passes by...well, does not instill one iota of confidence.

-NCL has offered me NOTHING,....and no promise of anything. No cruise refund.  No hotel, transportation refund, no food refund....ZILCH.  And, they want me to pony up more money to hang around in a dangerous storm when they could have cancelled days ago?  Why would I do that?  Would you want to go on this cruise now?  

I’m on the hook for about $5,500-$6000 for this vacation right now.  I’ve received nothing for it except grief and frustration.

They certainly don’t act like they care about their passengers or their safety by pulling this stunt.  I understand the passengers already on board are caught between a rock and a hard space.  There’s not much they can do about that situation (except maybe sail back to Mexico and let them disembark again, allowing the Breakaway to stay there until the storm blows over).

NCL did have input on my sailing, however.  Instead of stringing us along, trying to extract some money out of a bad situation by offering ½ the cruise we paid for (and might not be able to do that).  Should have cancelled with full refunds.

I

GG, did you get their email from midnight or so? They are offering full refunds IF you contact and cancel by 9pm tonight. I'm in 100% agreeance with you. They strung everyone along until the last possible moment. This 100% their fault because the coast guard set condition YANKEE at 12pm yesterday and we were notified at 4pm, a full hour after they said we would be, that the trip was still on. They KNEW that the ship wouldn't have even arrived before all ships had to be out of the port.  My wife and I were being lined up at the gate when we found out via the CC boards and a call to ncl that it was canceled and luckily we didn't fly. I feel for ya, man. I told my wife that I don't really have much of a desire to cruise with ncl unless they make this right and give the full refund and a credit to another trip. That may be the only way to get me back at least. 

2 minutes ago, SCOYLE058 said:

GG, did you get their email from midnight or so? They are offering full refunds IF you contact and cancel by 9pm tonight. I'm in 100% agreeance with you. They strung everyone along until the last possible moment. This 100% their fault because the coast guard set condition YANKEE at 12pm yesterday and we were notified at 4pm, a full hour after they said we would be, that the trip was still on. They KNEW that the ship wouldn't have even arrived before all ships had to be out of the port.  My wife and I were being lined up at the gate when we found out via the CC boards and a call to ncl that it was canceled and luckily we didn't fly. I feel for ya, man. I told my wife that I don't really have much of a desire to cruise with ncl unless they make this right and give the full refund and a credit to another trip. That may be the only way to get me back at least. 

I didn’t get anything.  

9 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Any communications would have gone to the TA, not directly to the customer. It's one of the problems with having a TA. 

My TA just said she received nothing and has been on thr phone wth NCL for 15 minutes because they lost my reservation somehow.

Thanks for the info @SCOYLE058.

• Like 2

The sad part is the ships staff didn’t even know.  I found out on social media and asked one of the maitre’d what he knew.  We was unaware.  I then shared the info with Bowen.  As Bowen was reading the CG notice, the Captain made an announcement.  I later saw the same maitre’d and he stopped me and asked me if I knew anything else he might need to know.

Those of us onboard are in limbo because we don’t know what to do with our travel arrangements.  They are saying Wednesday but will it really be Wednesday?  Our plans have changed multiple times.

2 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

The sad part is the ships staff didn’t even know.  I found out on social media and asked one of the maitre’d what he knew.  We was unaware.  I then shared the info with Bowen.  As Bowen was reading the CG notice, the Captain made an announcement.  I later saw the same maitre’d and he stopped me and asked me if I knew anything else he might need to know.

Those of us onboard are in limbo because we don’t know what to do with our travel arrangements.  They are saying Wednesday but will it really be Wednesday?  Our plans have changed multiple times.

I feel badly for you guys, too.  You really are in limbo.  NCL’s lack of communication is just unbelievable.  Eventually you guys have to stop for provisions.....somewhere!  Good luck!

I can’t see how NCL could have handled this any worse!

8 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

Unfortunately you’re at the mercy of the Coast Guard reopening the port. The cruise lines cannot make any plans until they know when the port will reopen. We had the same situation in 2004. We were cruising from Pt. Canaveral to Nassau on a quick three night Labor Day cruise. Due to Hurricane Frances hitting the PC area our three night cruise to Nassau turned into a five night cruise to nowhere. We ended up debarking in Miami as they were the first port to reopen on the east coast of Florida. We had the choice to either leave the ship in Miami or stay on until the Coast Guard reopened Port Canaveral. We left the ship in Miami due to the uncertainty.

I know that it’s a pain with trying to plan flights, work, etc. but try to make the best of it. Good luck.

11 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

Thanks!  Not that we have it bad.  I feel horrible for the people in the path of Dorian and the people who traveled thinking they were sailing on 9/1.  I just don’t like it when I know more than the ships staff.

My thought on the crew not knowing is that the cruise lines would rather all information come from just one source on board such as the Captain to ensure accuracy.

Agree. I feel for those on Grand Bahama island who are getting ready for what will more than likely be loss of lives, homes completely destroyed and many businesses wiped away. Sad. I spent the first thirty-five years of my life in Florida and hurricanes are no joke. This has been one fickle storm. Dorian is now a category five storm with 160 MPH winds. 

12 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

My thought on the crew not knowing is that the cruise lines would rather all information come from just one source on board such as the Captain to ensure accuracy.

A reasonable conclusion however, GG and others are finding out the lion share of their information from cruise critic.  Just not right.   A well run organization would ensure that EVERYONE is informed with the facts in a timely manner by furnishing all employees with a corporate memo of talking points so that when people (the customer) ask a question, NCL employees have an answer to give that is reliable and directly from the top.  That's just good operating procedure.

• Like 3

I really feel for your graphic guy.  But just remember life throws curve balls at you from time to time.   If you have the option to cancel, will you or take the shorter cruise since you have come all this way?

We actually found out about the cancelled cruise from someone's travel agent.  Right after you logged off in Atlanta, someone posted here on CC that their TA told them the cruise was cancelled and not to go to Miami.  This came from NCL directly to the TA.  The poster came to CC seeking validation and then it was confusing because your TA told you that all systems were go.  

This is truly an extraordinary circumstance.  I have been in Miami for over 25 years and have seen the port of Miami stay open in tropical storms even when the airport and so many other places were closed.  This time, everything is open.  No school cancellations, no business closed and schools are up and running.  The airport is open yet the port is closed indefinitely.  It makes no sense to me.  Those passengers would have been off the Breakaway and you would be embarking right now in this sunny day in Miami.  This is just so weird.

Just keep things in perspective. You made it to Miami safe, your house is not being destroyed by a hurricane, etc.  Keep your spirits up.  You may actually need this cruise on Wednesday.  It might be worth taking with the ship probably sailing at half capacity. You have come this far.  I say carry on soldier!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were stuck on Crystal during Sandy.  No information to us or the crew.  The hurricane had struck but there were still heavy seas and winds.  We were coming down from Canada.  We were tied to the pier in Boston and tugs had to keep the ship close to the pier for two nights.  Then the captain decided to skip ports and make it to New York for the next cruise.  Naturally after a horribly rough trip we could not get in to port in New York.  I had purchased extra tickets on line.  But what now--finally the captain got permission for us to tie up at Charleston.  We love it there and enjoyed an extra night on the ship after we docked.  No refunds, nothing!  Didn't complain.  Liked the longer cruise.  

The people who were to board in New York were bussed to Charleston.  

Like Forest Gump said--"S--- happens".  

We expect things like this.  Can't control mother nature.  

NCL really throw a curve ball this time little or no communication for Graphic Guy expect for the most important part early departure so if your not in the area already please make sure you present your self before the deadline or we will leave with out you.

After triple checking the decision was made to go....only to find out that the POM will be closed.

NCL could of got permission to dock at PE or another nearby port that could handle the ship. They have enough provisions on board. As they have been in close contact with the Ports . ...Port fees are paid by the passengers and NCL could of offered a $30 p.p credit for your choice of  shuttle/uber and such . Would of made the situation a little more bearable for all on and off the ship.

Hoping you can change your return ticket to today as they are offering waivers and helping their customers to the best of the their ability.  

Get your boxing gloves on for the fight to recover money spent . Please let us know how it goes.

Feel fortunate that NCL is offering you a refund... In 2017, I was a few days out from sailing the Carnival Vista... I had booked the cruise nearly 700 days in advance, and was anticipating it for nearly 2 years. Hurricane Irma was stirring in the Caribbean, and Carnival drug it's feet on making decisions, and dragging it's feet with information. I had already cancelled my flight and hotel room, as I had no intention of flying into a possible disaster area. Carnival finally made the same call as NCL, by sailing a shortened cruise. Only, CCL didn't offer any kind of refund, only a "future cruise credit" in the exact amount that I had paid, and not one penny more. 

When I started looking at future cruises, the 6 day sailings were running more than the 8 day that I had already paid in full for. I even had to kick in a few hundred more for the 6 day... Long story short (or, even longer?) That's just life... I was thinking about the people who were "stuck" on the ship 4 additional days, and thought they're getting 4 extra days, while I'm getting hosed... Then, I had no other option than just to move on... 

The irony of it all is that I'm currently looking at the Port of Miami WebCam, and it's an absolutely beautiful day this morning in Miami... They could have easily debarked and allowed you to take your cruise as planned...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

A reasonable conclusion however, GG and others are finding out the lion share of their information from cruise critic.  Just not right.   A well run organization would ensure that EVERYONE is informed with the facts in a timely manner by furnishing all employees with a corporate memo of talking points so that when people (the customer) ask a question, NCL employees have an answer to give that is reliable and directly from the top.  That's just good operating procedure.

Exactly! Not everyone who cruises is on CC. I’m sure there are folks arriving to the port this morning who have no clue that their vacation has been canceled/postponed. And not everyone has the luxury of just adding the expense of additional hotel costs/ meals/rental car/whatever. So what do you do? Do you hang out in Miami, waiting for a hurricane to pass or do you incur the expense of return flights to head back home? I don’t know what I would do if it were me. But I certainly do feel badly for those who are affected. At lest the other cruise lines let their passengers know early enough yesterday that they could stay home if they chose to do so. But NCL releasing their update telling passengers to arrive to the port no later than 11am had people scurrying for flight changes, only to find out (or not even) that now their cruise isn’t happening today.  That’s a poor way to operate a business.

• Like 2

Again, it goes back to timely communication.  I don't think anyone who books a trip during hurricane season would argue that the weather is the fault of the cruise line.  They can argue that the cruise line has an obligation to keep folks informed.  The other day someone in my Celebrity roll call posted info. about a debarkation port change from FLL to MIA.  This is for a cruise on Silhouette in November.  Some people were upset with the change and the subsequent hassle that it will be for some to make new travel arrangements.  A few complained about the time frame of the notice being after final payment.  I had to chuckle because if they were upset with almost 3 months worth of notice, what would they do with less than a few hours?  NCL has a lot to learn about how they can improve in keeping their paying customers informed.  I think that's all anyone wants.

• Thanks 1

I checked the rates at the Marriott Biscayne Bay for tonight. The good news is the rates are rock bottom

from what I have ever seen. The bad news is that they are right on the water and who knows how that will

work out. For those who need a hotel.

• Like 1