Just off the Rhapsody - Wow!

compman9

We have just been on the Rhapsody for 2 weeks 7-21 Sept 19 and we thought she was in very good condition considering her age. Our cabin was great, the only thing we noticed was some scratches & dents on the ceiling where it looks as if a panel had been removed/replaced. The public areas were good, there was always someone cleaning something!  The carpet in the jewelry store was replaced one port day, and in Katakolon a whole team of electricians came onboard. They stayed the following week as well and we saw them a few times around the ship, usually up a ladder with heads in the ceiling, trailing wires. We presumed they were fixing lighting.  Overall we loved her, and the cruises (we did B2B). So much so we are hoping to do it all again in 2021 :-)

My thoughts.

We are currently on board ROTS the second week of a B2B.

Our preference especially when sailing with our family including young children is definitely for the larger ships especially Oasis class.

But for us this is the third year running we have cruises on her and have had no issues whatsoever ship is in very good condition decent entertainment the staff excellent and food superb.

Would have absolutely no problem with sailing on her again.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, island lady said:

I think RCI should build more Radiance series ships!  🙂

With both Serenade and Radiance doing Alaska and Down under, Brilliance doing Europe and sliding under the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa, and Jewel doing Dubai...we sure could use another one on the east coast for sure IMHO.  Can get into the smaller ports or call and embarkation ports (like Tampa and Baltimore).   Take away a Vision class...give us a Radiance class to replace...I like that idea!  😉 

👍 👍 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SilkySal said:

DH and I will celebrate my birthday too on Rhapsody February 8-15, 2020! I will be the reverse of yours; I'll be 67! Will you be on board that week as well? If so, join our informal roll call to meet your fellow cruisers!

Happy Birthday! We will be on the Grandeur then.
Just wanted to say it was a pleasure meeting and chatting with you on the Allure.

4 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

My thoughts.

We are currently on board ROTS the second week of a B2B.

Our preference especially when sailing with our family including young children is definitely for the larger ships especially Oasis class.

But for us this is the third year running we have cruises on her and have had no issues whatsoever ship is in very good condition decent entertainment the staff excellent and food superb.

Would have absolutely no problem with sailing on her again.

Thank you for providing a current update.  We are headed on a B2B on Rhapsody in December.  Our first time on this particular ship.  Can't wait!   Can you tell me what some of the entertainment has been? 

On 9/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, island lady said:

I think RCI should build more Radiance series ships!  🙂

While I absolutely LOVE the new giant ships... I do wonder if they’ll build any more of these smaller ones?  We’ve loved Brilliance, and Indy, and Radiance, and would love it if there was a new one!

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

While I absolutely LOVE the new giant ships... I do wonder if they’ll build any more of these smaller ones?  We’ve loved Brilliance, and Indy, and Radiance, and would love it if there was a new one!

Unlikely under the Royal Caribbean brand.  Maybe Azamara?

On 9/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, davekathy said:

Pat...speaking of "packing them in", do you prefer the DL or CL on the Rhapsody? 

Sorry took so long to get back to you.  We are currently traveling south back to Florida from our stay in Maine this summer.  Finally get some time to check in on CC.  🙂 

I actually like the DL on Rhapsody better, due to the roomy overflow into the aft lounge there.  Nice floor to ceiling windows, and if Alan is still in the DL...makes it even better!  He used to be in CL, but transferred to the DL.  (Though is on vacation right now, hoping he is back by the time we board in February).  

Kumar is in CL.  

The CL does have an overflow into the VCL..but the seating is weird in both the CL and the overflow area IMHO.  

Edited by island lady

45 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sorry took so long to get back to you.  We are currently traveling south back to Florida from our stay in Maine this summer.  Finally get some time to check in on CC.  🙂 

I actually like the DL on Rhapsody better, due to the roomy overflow into the aft lounge there.  Nice floor to ceiling windows, and if Alan is still in the DL...makes it even better!  He used to be in CL, but transferred to the DL.  (Though is on vacation right now, hoping he is back by the time we board in February).  

Kumar is in CL.  

The CL does have an overflow into the VCL..but the seating is weird in both the CL and the overflow area IMHO.  

Like always thanks for insiders tip.  We'll check out both lounges, but based on your opinion and experiences we'll more than likely spend our time in the DL. 

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Like always thanks for insiders tip.  We'll check out both lounges, but based on your opinion and experiences we'll more than likely spend our time in the DL. 

Glad I could help!!  Are you getting that early snow for skiing they were talking about on the weather channel today? 

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Glad I could help!!  Are you getting that early snow for skiing they were talking about on the weather channel today? 

We missed the first snow earlier this month as we were on a cruise (Summit, New England/Canada) from 8 Sept to 22 Sep. The snow we're suppose to get this weekend may drop to the 6000 foot level. We are below that level. So just rain and cold for us.  But the ski resorts will be getting more. I'm sure there will be some heading up with their rock skis and snowboards. Too early for the ski resorts to officially open. 

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

We missed the first snow earlier this month as we were on a cruise (Summit, New England/Canada) from 8 Sept to 22 Sep. The snow we're suppose to get this weekend may drop to the 6000 foot level. We are below that level. So just rain and cold for us.  But the ski resorts will be getting more. I'm sure there will be some heading up with their rock skis and snowboards. Too early for the ski resorts to officially open. 

Ahh...but getting close!  Oh well, rain and cold sure beats dry and wild fires!  😮   Have a fantabulous ski season this year!  🙂 

We are headed out on the 12th for Lake Chelan Washington...just figured someone needs to go out there and check our this year's fine vintages.  😉 🍷

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Ahh...but getting close!  Oh well, rain and cold sure beats dry and wild fires!  😮   Have a fantabulous ski season this year!  🙂 

We are headed out on the 12th for Lake Chelan Washington...just figured someone needs to go out there and check our this year's fine vintages.  😉 🍷

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Have a glass or never mind, have as many glasses of wine you want for me. 🍷🍷

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 8:16 AM, PamUK said:

We have just been on the Rhapsody for 2 weeks 7-21 Sept 19 and we thought she was in very good condition considering her age. Our cabin was great, the only thing we noticed was some scratches & dents on the ceiling where it looks as if a panel had been removed/replaced. The public areas were good, there was always someone cleaning something!  The carpet in the jewelry store was replaced one port day, and in Katakolon a whole team of electricians came onboard. They stayed the following week as well and we saw them a few times around the ship, usually up a ladder with heads in the ceiling, trailing wires. We presumed they were fixing lighting.  Overall we loved her, and the cruises (we did B2B). So much so we are hoping to do it all again in 2021 🙂

That would be the installation team for the upgrading for the needed additional Wireless access points.  This upgrade will allow the ship to be part of the Royal App.  We saw the same work being done on one of our other cruises.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:15 PM, ValerieJo said:

Thank you for providing a current update.  We are headed on a B2B on Rhapsody in December.  Our first time on this particular ship.  Can't wait!   Can you tell me what some of the entertainment has been? 

In all honesty we only went to two shows the illusionist who had won a tv reality show his name and show escapes me but a very good show.

The other was Roger Wright from London’s West End who was the first adult Simba character in the London’s production of The Lion King .

He also played Marvin Gaye in the West End Motown show Dancing in the Streets and was 3rd place finalist in Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber’s TV show “Superstar “

An excellent performer and tremendous show.

The group performing in the centrum were excellent and the traditional “flags” show they did there was as usual first class.

Seats for that were full about one hour before the start.

Pool music group were also very good.

We had no complaints whatsoever about the entertainment.

• Thanks 1

Love sailing on grand old ships....the new ships are too glitzy for us and 

Lack character. We are booked on Rhapsody for  3 b2b next year . Can’ t wait. My favorite ever ships was the Britannia... a small teak decked ship with teak deck chairs..it was many years ago but I still remember it fondly.

does anyone know if rhapsody has a Starbucks on it?

On 10/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, Norwich Cruiser said:

The group performing in the centrum were excellent and the traditional “flags” show they did there was as usual first class.

Seats for that were full about one hour before the star

That's a huge design flaw of the Centrum ships. Not enough seating capacity. That's why you need to camp out. And then when show starts people stand in front of you. And now that aerial shows are a thing of the past,  it's just a bad venue for shows that would do better in a lounge. Flag ceremony does work well in there.