CARRYING SODA ON BOARD

wickky

3 minutes ago, wickky said:

newbie question - How do you carry a 12 pack of soda on board? Does it have to be INSIDE a carry on? Strapped to the top of the carry on? just carry in your hand?

Thanks!

No, it doesn't have to be inside. Yes it can be strapped on the carry on. Yes you can carry it in your hand, if you want to. I carried mine in my backpack. My wife carried hers in her carry on. What ever works best for you. 

If you take carry-on luggage, you can get one or two short bungee cords, lay the case on top of the bag, then strap it to the handle. It's also a good idea to take a bag of some kind, either a plastic bag or maybe a reusable grocery bag. In the past, there's been instances where terminal security have torn open the soda cases looking for alcohol. If they tear them apart, they'll be pretty much unusable, so you'll need something to put them in.

Last year, we were outside the terminal and when I pulled the bag out of our shuttle, the bungee came loose, the case hit the pavement, and a few cans broke. I put the remaining cans in the reusable grocery bag I brought. And no, it didn't slow things down, except for me. If that were to happen inside the terminal, I highly doubt it'd hold up the line, so I'm sure everyone else would be ok. 😉

• Like 3

Depending on the port you're leaving from, some of the security folks can be quite over-zealous in checking the cases of pop... in Galveston I had the guy completely shred the box my 12-pack was in, checking to make sure I didn't have any contraband in there. So there I was, standing in front of this guy, with 12 loose cans and no box to put them back in. I just looked at him and shook my head, then started loading them loose in every spot I could find.

Organized Chaos has a most excellent recommendation to bring an extra bag to put your cans in, just in case, whether the issue is an accident or PITA security guys! I do that every cruise now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wickky said:

newbie question - How do you carry a 12 pack of soda on board? Does it have to be INSIDE a carry on? Strapped to the top of the carry on? just carry in your hand?

Thanks!

Any of those.

BTW, I always put my 2 12 packs inside my rolling backpack and when they put it through screening, they never even ask me to open the bag.   I don't know if they can see that its pepsi though the scanner?   This has been in ft Lauderdale and miami

When I dropped the case of soda, three of the cans broke, I put the other nine in the reusable bag. Plus we had one other 12-pack that was still intact & sealed. That one went through the scanner first and they never said a word about it. When my bag of loose cans went through, the guy looked inside and asked what was in the cans. I thought it was obvious, but I said, "Dr. Pepper." He then asked, "Not beer?" So let me get this straight. You don't care about the sealed 12-pack, but think that I managed to put beer inside Dr. Pepper cans? 🤨

9 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

When I dropped the case of soda, three of the cans broke, I put the other nine in the reusable bag. Plus we had one other 12-pack that was still intact & sealed. That one went through the scanner first and they never said a word about it. When my bag of loose cans went through, the guy looked inside and asked what was in the cans. I thought it was obvious, but I said, "Dr. Pepper." He then asked, "Not beer?" So let me get this straight. You don't care about the sealed 12-pack, but think that I managed to put beer inside Dr. Pepper cans? 🤨

LOLOLOL. Too funny! How in the world do you open a can of Dr. Pepper, then reseal it? With an aluminum welder? I packed 8 loose Fresca's in my backpack and not a word. If they had confiscated it, it would have been a blessing in disguise. Those thing are heavy! Plus I was thirsting for a Funship Special! 😁

I always take the cans out of the carton and put them inside a jumbo zip lock bag and put them in the rolling carry on.  NYC didn't even bat an eyelash when they went through the scanner, with 2 bottles of wine.  Baltimore and Boston made me take them out of the carry on and show them what they were.

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

LOLOLOL. Too funny! How in the world do you open a can of Dr. Pepper, then reseal it? With an aluminum welder?

You figured me out! I got my 9 cans of Dr. Pepper beers on the ship right under their noses. Muahahaha!! And it would've been 12 if it weren't for those meddling kids.

6 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Wow 11 posts in and no "lug" or "schlep" word used as of yet.I always lug a 12 pack of soda in my luggage. Never had them dissected at the terminal.

Careful. Chumming the waters will attract the sharks.

18 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

At the risk of this being considered off-topic rather than creating a new one....

Anyone have problems bringing cans or bottled water into the MDR?  I assume it has to be sealed so that is the plan.  Thanks

I haven't done it (yet) but I've seen others say it's fine to take a can of soda to dinner. Haven't seen anyone mention water bottles since they have some at every table, but I guess they'd allow it if you prefer bottled.

14 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

At the risk of this being considered off-topic rather than creating a new one....

Anyone have problems bringing cans or bottled water into the MDR?  I assume it has to be sealed so that is the plan.  Thanks

No problem...I drink pepsi...I bring a can to dinner every night

Last cruise I carried a small carry-on style 21" and hers is a monster checked luggage style 30." We fly in the day before and buy sodas and wine. Somehow I ended up being the one that had to make room in my suitcase for that stuff!! I mean what???? That woman had zero space left. It was crazy.

24 minutes ago, five. said:

Last cruise I carried a small carry-on style 21" and hers is a monster checked luggage style 30." We fly in the day before and buy sodas and wine. Somehow I ended up being the one that had to make room in my suitcase for that stuff!! I mean what???? That woman had zero space left. It was crazy.

Tell me about it! Can you tell which one's mine and which one's my wife's?

20190727_215819.jpg

20190727_215806.jpg

20190727_215720.jpg

20190727_215736.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Your wife is like mine.  Nine pairs of shoes for a seven day cruise.

Wellllll, this was for a 5 day cruise on the Dream back in July. When we  got back and she was unpacking I asked her if she really wore alllllll of those pairs of shoes. She said "of course silly!" I don't understand how women can do that. I'm in awe. Lol. I brought back clothes that I didn't even wear. And 2 pair of shoes! 

Our next cruise is a 7 day on the Freedom in Sept. 2020. Not telling how much MORE stuff she's taking with her! :classic_huh:

• Haha 1