Set Sail Pass/Check-in - Online vs App questions

SRV FAN

I am so confused now...……. 

I checked-in for our upcoming cruise from Fort Lauderdale online a long time ago. I did not upload a picture. I knew at the time I could have checked in via the Royal App to get "expedited check-in" at the pier, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

I do have the Royal App.... and when I go there to see my upcoming cruise...I see my set sail passes, with a barcode, but no where can I add my photo. Now that I see how the App works, I'd like to use it instead of the paper Set Sail pass to gain access the ship.

So two questions...

1) Where do I go once I get thru security at Ft Lauderdale? I hear there is an "expedited check-in" kiosk, so do I go there or to the regular desk area & do the normal check-in process? 

2) How can I add my photo to my Set Sail pass now? Maybe go back in to my cruise online? Or just wait & let them do it? 

TIA! 

• Like 1

We've been on appx. 25 RCCL cruises and check in with a paper set sail pass has always been quick and easy.  Just don't see the reason to mess with this stuff.  Especially the photo.  Of course we're always at port around 10:30, so check in is complete before they start boarding regardless:classic_tongue:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

We've been on appx. 25 RCCL cruises and check in with a paper set sail pass has always been quick and easy.  Just don't see the reason to mess with this stuff.  Especially the photo.  Of course we're always at port around 10:30, so check in is complete before they start boarding regardless:classic_tongue:

Well, us too...but I am trying to get more with the times...… 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

2) How can I add my photo to my Set Sail pass now? Maybe go back in to my cruise online? Or just wait & let them do it? 

TIA! 

You should be able to go back into your online check-in to add a photo.  However you should know that many report that even though photos have been uploaded, they are asked to take another photo at check-in. 

Just now, Host Clarea said:

You should be able to go back into your online check-in to add a photo.  However you should know that many report that even though photos have been uploaded, they are asked to take another photo at check-in. 

Thanks...I have heard that about the pictures.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

1) Where do I go once I get thru security at Ft Lauderdale? I hear there is an "expedited check-in" kiosk, so do I go there or to the regular desk area & do the normal check-in process? 

There's a sign at Port Everglades to direct you to the Expedited Check-In entrance.  No need to go there unless you have Expedited Check-In printed on your SetSail pass.  Only difference between expedited and normal is that you don't really have to check in with anyone once you get to the port.  You go through the security scanners and then to the seating area.  

It only takes a few minutes to check in at Port Everglades, so you won't be missing out on much of a time savings anyways.

You can still use the app for your SetSail pass if you don't have Expedited Check-In.  Or you can use a paper one..or you can not use one at all and they will look up your name.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

There's a sign at Port Everglades to direct you to the Expedited Check-In entrance.  No need to go there unless you have Expedited Check-In printed on your SetSail pass.  Only difference between expedited and normal is that you don't really have to check in with anyone once you get to the port.  You go through the security scanners and then to the seating area.  

It only takes a few minutes to check in at Port Everglades, so you won't be missing out on much of a time savings anyways.

You can still use the app for your SetSail pass if you don't have Expedited Check-In.  Or you can use a paper one..or you can not use one at all and they will look up your name.

So what is different about checking in via the App vs Online? I guess I should have just checked in via the app...….. I hate inputting credit card & other info (lots of typing in info & I always mess it up at least once!) on my phone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

So what is different about checking in via the App vs Online? I guess I should have just checked in via the app...….. I hate inputting credit card & other info (lots of typing in info & I always mess it up at least once!) on my phone.

That's why we just get in a quick line and do it the old fashioned way.  Takes maybe 5 minutes for credit card/photo etc. and then we're with the "expedited" people waiting to get on the ship :classic_tongue:

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SRV FAN said:

The app gives you the ability to upload your photo directly via the check-in either through pulling up the photo gallery or using your cell phone camera.  That's basically the only difference...oh and you can scan the barcode on your passport sometimes as well which saves you from entering in numbers.   There's really not much rhyme or reason that I've seen as to why some folks get Expedited and some don't.  

I see the roll out of the app and ability to check in with it as the gradual implementation of technology to eventually replace human workers.  If more folks can correctly get checked in through the app, then there won't be as much of a need for employees at the port to check folks in.  

• Like 1

In Bayonne our online check in check in took way less time than our friends doing traditional check in.  Seen it both ways.  I like to know everything is buttoned up when I get there and I am tech savy so for me, it's always gonna be the way to go.  

• Like 1

Anything that can expedite check-in is good with me.  We upload our photos and have not had to take one over.   Super fast check-in and onto Security.  We have, however, at Cape Liberty, been behind groups who did not upload photos, and another time had not put method of payment in.  This did delay our check in by quite a bit, so having everything uploaded does expedite check-in for everyone.   

Next up we're going to try the app--with the uploaded photos.  

10 hours ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

In Bayonne our online check in check in took way less time than our friends doing traditional check in.  Seen it both ways.  I like to know everything is buttoned up when I get there and I am tech savy so for me, it's always gonna be the way to go.  

Just want to confirm... by "online check in" do you mean check in via website Cruise Planner and print a Setsail Pass, or do you mean check in via app on phone?

IMO, there would be three ways to check in -- 

Traditional -- walk up to the counter having never done anything in advance.  Have to provide passport info, credit card info, take picture, everything, from scratch at the desk -- no Setsail Pass printed before getting to port.

Online -- complete check-in via computer or other electronic device via Royal's website's Cruise Planner.  Passport and credit card info already entered, may or may not have already uploaded a picture.  Printed out a paper Setsail Pass before getting to port.

App -- complete check-in via cell phone or tablet via Royal's app (Android or Apple), with electronic Setsail Pass showing on phone in the app.  No need for a printed Setsail Pass.

11 hours ago, SRV FAN said:

If your Setsail Pass says Expedited on it, you can go to the expedited line.  

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

Just want to confirm... by "online check in" do you mean check in via website Cruise Planner and print a Setsail Pass, or do you mean check in via app on phone?

IMO, there would be three ways to check in -- 

Traditional -- walk up to the counter having never done anything in advance.  Have to provide passport info, credit card info, take picture, everything, from scratch at the desk -- no Setsail Pass printed before getting to port.

Online -- complete check-in via computer or other electronic device via Royal's website's Cruise Planner.  Passport and credit card info already entered, may or may not have already uploaded a picture.  Printed out a paper Setsail Pass before getting to port.

App -- complete check-in via cell phone or tablet via Royal's app (Android or Apple), with electronic Setsail Pass showing on phone in the app.  No need for a printed Setsail Pass.

App & online check in are the exact same thing, just the method of presenting your set sail pass is different

22 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

The app gives you the ability to upload your photo directly via the check-in either through pulling up the photo gallery or using your cell phone camera.  That's basically the only difference...oh and you can scan the barcode on your passport sometimes as well which saves you from entering in numbers.   There's really not much rhyme or reason that I've seen as to why some folks get Expedited and some don't.  

I see the roll out of the app and ability to check in with it as the gradual implementation of technology to eventually replace human workers.  If more folks can correctly get checked in through the app, then there won't be as much of a need for employees at the port to check folks in.  

Agree, but I feel for the people losing their jobs.

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

I used both the website and app to enter our pre embarkation info, to make purchases, for planning, etc.  I printed a pass as a back up along with our luggage tags from the website but used the app on my Samsung phone to actually check in and board.  Didn't need the back up paper passes, didn't need to retake our pics, etc.  Only thing they needed to see at check in was the CC I registered and our ID's.  A person with an iPad met us as we walked in and made it happen.  It was super simple and eliminated the usual juggle of purse, carry on,  coat, etc. to get to our paper tickets.  I liked it a lot.  I really only had the paper in case something happened to my phone or the system. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, SRV FAN said:

So...I guess another question I should have asked is:

Can I go to the expedited check-in line even tho I checked-in online.... since I have my Set Sail passes on the App? 

The employee at the entrance to the expedited check-in line is only interested in seeing a Set Sail pass with "Expedited Arrival" on it, regardless if it's a paper pass or the pass on the phone app.  It's not an actual "check in" line but a verification line to make sure everything is done, scan the passport, and redo the security photo is needed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Not true, which is why I mentioned it. 

One uses a website with a browser, one uses an app on a mobile device.  

But essentially, they are the same product. When the ship receives the information you’ve submitted they won’t know the difference whether you did it via the app or the webite

1 minute ago, ocav said:

But essentially, they are the same product. When the ship receives the information you’ve submitted they won’t know the difference whether you did it via the app or the webite

The ship could know the source, it all depends on how the various systems are programmed.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:30 AM, bouhunter said:

Absolutely agree with this..not interested in the app at all !!

At the time of my “check-in” .... it said if I checked-in via the App, I would get “Expedited Check-in” at the pier.

From y’awls posts it appears that that was something special they were offering at the time & not the norm. 

To me, it was easier to check-in online. But now I wish I had done it via the App, so that I would have “Expedited” on my Set Sail pass just to see what it is all about. 

It seems as if now there isn’t really any difference in the outcome checking in with either source.