Just reading about layover times...need advice

preschool teacher

Assuming that both legs of you flight are on the same reservation and at the same Paris airport it will be sufficient time.

Some people want to spend hours in airports - I’m always looking for connections with the shortest possible layover. In case of delays the airline will make sure that you either make the connection in shorter time or will book you at the next flight.

I strongly recommend to plan to arrive at the cruise departure port at least one day before the cruise.

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

In case of delays the airline will make sure that you either make the connection in shorter time or will book you at the next flight.

You managed to leave out "that has available seats" at the end of that sentence.

And since there is only one DL/AF flight per day from CDG to MIA, you would either get a re-route to another USA gateway and then to MIA, or you would possibly wait until the next day's flight.  Again, all assuming  that there are seats available.

Plus, you don't mention if you have regular published fare tickets or consolidator/bulk/negotiated rates, which may have restrictions that prevent a re-route or re-issue.

On the plus side - you will be going from T2F to T2E.  Get a map of CDG and see what your connection pathway will look like.

Amsterdam to Paris is Schengen Area to Schengen Area so there are no internal immigration checkpoints to cause lines and delays- think of it as a lot like a US domestic connection. I'd probably take that connection and not think twice about it. Your risk tolerance may vary. 

Flying from CDG to MIA non-stop will have an extra layer of security checks, but 1:40 is still an acceptable amount of time to make that connection, assuming, as mentioned, your flights are on one booking.

You should NEVER assume "they will put you on the next flight". That assumes there are available seats on the next flight, which is a troublesome assumption. And just how many flights are there from CDG to MIA (on Air France, I assume) daily? Not a lot...maybe only one. Another very bad assumption...that, for example, Air France will put you on another, non-allied airline, the same day CDG-MIA.

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

In case of delays the airline will make sure that you either make the connection in shorter time or will book you at the next flight.

Thanks for the replies...

we are on a Delta flight operated by Air France

leave Amsterdam at 10:30...to Paris with the layover 

it is one ticket all the way.

this is May of 2020

have the reservation, but have not paid for it yet. So no ticket has been done yet...

we booked our tickets with the Air2Sea program 

Edited by preschool teacher
More information

54 minutes ago, preschool teacher said:

Thanks for the replies...

we are on a Delta flight operated by Air France

leave Amsterdam at 10:30...to Paris with the layover 

it is one ticket all the way.

this is May of 2020

have the reservation, but have not paid for it yet. So no ticket has been done yet...

we booked our tickets with the Air2Sea program 

Eight months is also plenty of time for Air France to change their scheduled on either AMS-CDG, or CDG-MIA. That could mean a schedule with a longer layover...or a shorter layover. Or it may not change at all. Just keep in mind that this is one of the things that can happen when you book further out.

14 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

But won’t they need to exit the Schengen Area before boarding the flight from CDG to MIA? Have not done this at CDG so have no idea how much time one should allow. 

Yes.  The AMS-CDG is like a US Domestic - no passport control.  BUT, you will have to do exit passport control at CDG for the CDG-MIA segment.   Depending on how many flights are blocked at the same time, the lines can get quite backed up for passport control and security checks.  

To me - that's a tight connection time at CDG.  It can be done if you keep your pace up and don't dawdle on the way to the gate.

I'm one who likes those long connection times.  I don't like being confined in a metal tube, surrounded by a herd of people.  So, I welcome time to be out in the open.  I window shop the duty free stores, get a sample of some food I won't get at home, hit up the lounge and relax before I cram myself back into another metal tube...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm one who likes those long connection times.  I don't like being confined in a metal tube, surrounded by a herd of people.  So, I welcome time to be out in the open.  I window shop the duty free stores, get a sample of some food I won't get at home, hit up the lounge and relax before I cram myself back into another metal tube...

LOL-your description made me laugh even though you are pretty right on! While I don’t dislike the flying experience, I do get stressed if my flight is delayed cutting my connection time especially if I’m heading to an unfamiliar airport AND there could be delays there just trying to get to the departure gate. So yes, I will often choose a longer layover. The OP did not say if there was another AMS-CDG flight that would allow for a longer connection or if there were any other itineraries that would accomplish this.

25 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

The OP did not say if there was another AMS-CDG flight that would allow for a longer connection or if there were any other itineraries that would accomplish this.

And did not bother with dates, times or flight numbers.  So we are left to speculate and make half-informed recommendations.

Given that the AF CDG-MIA flight generally leaves mid-morning, there are probably few early options from AMS to CDG.

Surprised that they could not fly from AMS to the USA on KLM, then connecting to a DL flight into MIA.  And if they were eventually trying to get to JAX, it would be much simpler to just fly from AMS to either JFK or ATL and then connect into JAX.

But....given the lack of details....what do I know.

26 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And did not bother with dates, times or flight numbers.  So we are left to speculate and make half-informed recommendations.

Given that the AF CDG-MIA flight generally leaves mid-morning, there are probably few early options from AMS to CDG.

Surprised that they could not fly from AMS to the USA on KLM, then connecting to a DL flight into MIA.  And if they were eventually trying to get to JAX, it would be much simpler to just fly from AMS to either JFK or ATL and then connect into JAX.

But....given the lack of details....what do I know.

Assuming they're not planning to go immediately from ship to AMS to CDG to MIA, another option would be Thaly's train the afternoon/evening before...there's one that goes direct/no-change from Centraal to CDG Airport in about 3.5 hours.

EDIT: Meant to say, then stay at a CDG airport hotel.

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Assuming they're not planning to go immediately from ship to AMS to CDG to MIA, another option would be Thaly's train the afternoon/evening before...there's one that goes direct/no-change from Centraal to CDG Airport in about 3.5 hours.

EDIT: Meant to say, then stay at a CDG airport hotel.

And then stay at the Sheraton - it sits right on top of the train station in Terminal 2 - so it's right there for the AF/Delta flights.  I've stayed there a few times.  

Oh - about my "metal tubes" things,  I do get a bit claustrophobic in planes.  I have to get up and pace.  So, the least amount of time I spend in the plane, the better...

I personally do not like stress of a short layover, it’s vacation, there should be no stress involved.

We just flew from FLL to Paris via Newark, had almost 3 hour layover. Original flight FLL 1:30 PM , arriving Newark 4:20 PM..departure for CDG 6:40 PM...

Weather, air traffic control, late arriving plane, we did not leave for Newark until almost 10 PM we missed our Newark to Paris flight and spend the night and the entire next day in Newark airport, making our “ new layover “ 24 hours..

Preschool Teacher,

Are you returning to JAX or is MIA your final destination? 

You would have more options for a decent connection in a US port than the AMS-CDG timing offers.  Considering how many times your schedule might change between now and next May AND you are on Delta this could be a booking factor.

I've been to both AMS and CDG in the last year and a direct flight out of either is far more preferential to a connection. Been there, done that too......

If it is a pricing issue try to keep up with fares via the Air2Sea website. Fares do fluctuate!!!!! And, not all connections are equal.

14 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Preschool Teacher,

Are you returning to JAX or is MIA your final destination? 

You would have more options for a decent connection in a US port than the AMS-CDG timing offers.  Considering how many times your schedule might change between now and next May AND you are on Delta this could be a booking factor.

I've been to both AMS and CDG in the last year and a direct flight out of either is far more preferential to a connection. Been there, done that too......

If it is a pricing issue try to keep up with fares via the Air2Sea website. Fares do fluctuate!!!!! And, not all connections are equal.

So we do live in Jacksonville but it is way more expensive to fly to Jax. It was over $2,000We did book with Air2Sea. I was going to check some different flights on Air2Sea but the website won’t let me get to flights...it says I have to call to make changes.

I do appreciate all the responses that I have gotten, it has been helpful!!!

1 minute ago, thinfool said:

There are several flights AMS>LHR>MCO tho you would need to check Air2Sea for availability.

MCO has become a very busy airport for overseas arrivals in recent years.

I don't believe there are any flights LHR-MCO. Every nonstop that I am aware of between London and Orlando is LGW-MCO. While it is possible to fly AMS-LGW-MCO, AMS-LGW is only done by BA and easyJet.

Can also go AMS-LHR, transfer on ground to LGW, and do LGW-AMS...but I wouldn't.