Tipping porter at cruise port

maryup

11 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The porters only put the luggage on a cart and perhaps wheel them into the terminal. The NCL crew are the people who deliver your luggage to your cabin.

Lol!!

Of course, I know that. That's why I included the (Lmao!).

It's really all about being in a great mindset as we're on our way to enjoying a wonderful vacation and spreading the smiles to everyone we encounter.

• Like 1

This is such a scam in many USA ports. They are threatening the safety of your luggage to extort $$$ for simply slinging a bag onto the cart behind them. Google what a union porter makes in NYC, probably more than 50% of the PAX. Unfortunately I realize that I must pay the extortion fee also.

• Like 1

In Europe they don't expect any tip at all.

Feel free to give them a dollar or two if you want, but you will likely be one of the few who does. It isn't expected in the way that it is in the US. They certainly don't hang around waiting for something, and if you aren't quick then they will be gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bones774 said:

This is such a scam in many USA ports. They are threatening the safety of your luggage to extort $$$ for simply slinging a bag onto the cart behind them. Google what a union porter makes in NYC, probably more than 50% of the PAX. Unfortunately I realize that I must pay the extortion fee also.

I've never had anyone threaten the safety of my bags, but I do understand it has happened to others.  It's customary to tip porters in the U.S.  They do more than put the bags on the cart though, as the carts get taken to the ship by these same porters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

I've never had anyone threaten the safety of my bags, but I do understand it has happened to others.  It's customary to tip porters in the U.S.  They do more than put the bags on the cart though, as the carts get taken to the ship by these same porters.

Technically, not every porter takes the cart to the ship. There is a crew that does just put the bag on the cart and a couple other guys who drive the tugs. No they don't threaten the safety of your bag, it's kinda implied, don't give them a tip one day just for the heck of it and see the look they give you and tell me then that you're not concerned about your bag.

Anyway they don't need tips to bolster their income.

With all these tipping threads on here, I decided to test a theory.  I stood at my office door for hours one day and not a single person who passed by or stopped to ask me a question tipped me.  SHEESH!  The nerve of some people.

:classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bones774 said:

Yeah he's gonna take 5 bucks from as many people as he can, and then take an exorbitant 6 month trip around the world laced with drink and ladies.  That's what that 65 year old, shabbily dressed grandfather of 12 is going to do with your precious tip.

(good god.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

Haven't been to Rome, but at every other port as the porter takes the bags, usually 3, I hand him a five dollar bill.  They always seem pleased with that and say thanks.  

lol  In Rome he may look to see if it's US currency and not Euro, and then look up you like, "great.  thanks.  I'll use this then next time I see a 7-11."

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Yeah he's gonna take 5 bucks from as many people as he can, and then take an exorbitant 6 month trip around the world laced with drink and ladies.  That's what that 65 year old, shabbily dressed grandfather of 12 is going to do with your precious tip.

(good god.)

a little exaggeration to make your point? Doubt there is any 65 year old grandfather doing it , shabby dress men for certain though.

and yes he will take as many 5 dollar bills as he can',  tax free, and add that to his union scale.

Have you googled yet??

You do realize that you won't be cruising from Rome, right?  The port is Civitavecchia which is an hour plus away.

When we cruised from there, our shuttle dropped us off alongside our cruise ship and the cruise ship staff took the bags directly from the coach bays.  There were no porters handling anything.  I believe my husband gave the driver five Euro, he's the one who loaded the luggage into the bus in Rome.  

Tipping the porter in Rome (typically anywhere in Europe) is not expected.  Europe does not have a tipping culture at all, waiters in restaurants maybe get 5-10% and taxi drivers perhaps a couple of € to round up to the next 0 or 5 but that's all.

• Like 1

It’s not true that tipping is not expected in Europe! It depends which country in Europe. 

They are not as in your face about it like in the US but they appreciate a tip 10% is normal.

I tip taxi drivers, coach drivers and porters throughout the world.

Edited by Deeliteful
  • Like 3

I learned the hard way in Miami. DH dropped me off at the port with our two bags while he went to park  at a distant lot he needed to shuttle back from.It was a hectic time at the port and I forgot about needing to tip the port porter and had no money with me at all.  Apologized profusely but got a  nasty look. Anyway, the bags arrived on the ship eventyally as we had to hunt them down, but the tags were gone and a handle was missing from a new suitcase. Learned a very hard lesson.  We now try to take all our own luggage on board as that was not the first ruined suitcase for us, even when we tip well!

31 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

It’s not true that tipping is not expected in Europe! It depends which country in Europe. 

They are not as in your face about it like in the US but they appreciate a tip 10% is normal.

I tip taxi drivers, coach drivers and porters throughout the world.

I certainly wouldn't say that tipping isn't expected in Europe. As you say, it depends on a number of factors.

I would however say that the porters at European ports do not appear to expect it. I usually arrive by taxi. The taxi driver will take the bags from the car and whilst I am paying them it is not unusual for the porters to have taken the bags and be busy with the next person before I have finished.

Very different from my experiences in the US where the porters tend to hang around until you have tipped them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

I still remember my first cruise.  (This was out of Miami.)  The porter says, with a slow, ominous tone, "So, do you have a donation for the bag man?"  The implication was very clear that I risked angering the Bag Gods if I did not offer at least a token sacrifice. 

I gave him 4$ to handle a bag and a case of water.  They arrived in my cabin without incident so I assume the Bag Man was pleased with my offering. 

• Haha 1