Currently on Oosterdam - ship problem?

Emu2302

We set sail today from Seattle, and around 2 hours ago started hearing large thuds that shake our whole room. It sounds like the ceiling is coming down on us.

Guest services are is trying to tell us it is the waves hitting the ship and/or the way the ship is moving.

anyone ever experience this? We are in 5095.

Have you ever watched breaking waves roll in, with the "break" extending parallel to the shore as the wave moves forward? Sometimes if the ship hits the wave just right, you get that breaking wave effect along the side of the ship. It could be that. You're midships, and I haven't experienced it there, but I've felt it farther forward. And on the K I really felt it at the back. When the waves hit the ship at the back, she would slam down on them and there was a bang and a shudder like I couldn't believe. It's surprising how loud the waves can be.

On our first HAL cruise many years ago we were awakened by a very loud bang followed by a pretty big list.  It didn't happen again and the ship soon was straight again.  The next morning we were told that it was "rogue" wave and that the list was about 15 degrees which is actually a pretty big list for a cruise ship although they can withstand much greater.  So, it happens!

Edited by ricka47

7 hours ago, Emu2302 said:

anyone ever experience this?

Yes, but we were lower and more towards the bow.  When the wind and ship directions are more or less at right angles the waves can slap the ship hard.  By now your noises have probably abated.

We just debarked from the Oosterdam yesterday.  By the time the OP finishes their 7 day cruise, they won't think twice about the 'thuds' and creaks and groans the ship goes through....especially when they reach open water outside Vancouver Island. We were a rockin' and a rollin' several times and had 50 knot winds one night (per the captain).  Great cruise - enjoy your last week in Alaska!

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1

Reporting in from Juneau. The noise was more than just creaks and groans. And it was not from another room. It was really wild. there would be a THUD and the walls would shake. We had things fall off the walls. It would sometimes happen 2-3 times in a room, some times just one instance. Sometimes they would be minutes apart, sometimes 10-20 mins apart. But it was constant, 24 hours a day.  I’ve attempted to attach a video of the shaking. The noise was much louder than my phone camera picked up. But imagine a large boulder being dropped on the floor or a large steel door banging back and forth. That’s what it sounded like.

Miraculously, they found a comparable room to move us to 24 hours after we first reported it. The night of the report, they apparently only had inside rooms to move us to.  Not sure how they found a room, but it’s worked out for now. 

Oh, trust me, we had every Guest Services manager, assistant manager, and more that we spoke with. They all refused to contact engineering or send any mechanical technicians up to our room. We also requested to speak to the Hotel director and were declined to speak to them. 

We were in a end hall room. On one side was the lobby of the midship elevator bank, the other was a room. The noise seemed to come from the elevator hallway area, somewhere in the walls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, canadianbear said:

Are you next to the glass elevators?  Could that be causing it?  

It could have been, but the noise started late at night and all night long when there was likely little to no use. Staff swore up and down it was not the elevators. 

7 minutes ago, Emu2302 said:

It could have been, but the noise started late at night and all night long when there was likely little to no use. Staff swore up and down it was not the elevators. 

I guess no one figured out what it was?  We will be on the ship for 2 weeks in December.  

Just now, GTVCRUISER said:

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam when the Oosterdam hit us in Vancouver :classic_sad: , cruising on the Oosterdam in 10 days :classic_smile: to Mexico

Us too-we didn’t feel it as we were having breakfast in the Pinnacle-we heard the announcement though!  

Will miss you this time on the Oosterdam as we aren’t going until end of November.  Enjoy the cruise!  

On 9/23/2019 at 9:53 AM, ricka47 said:

On our first HAL cruise many years ago we were awakened by a very loud bang followed by a pretty big list.  It didn't happen again and the ship soon was straight again.  The next morning we were told that it was "rogue" wave and that the list was about 15 degrees which is actually a pretty big list for a cruise ship although they can withstand much greater.  So, it happens!

I saw a YouTube of a rogue wave that was terrifying...

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Rough seas make the elevator cables strike their enclosure, just saying.........

I’m not too worried about it-we’ve done the Pacific Coastal on this ship-just has hoped the OP got an answer about the issue.  Thanks Copper.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I’m not too worried about it-we’ve done the Pacific Coastal on this ship-just has hoped the OP got an answer about the issue.  Thanks Copper.  

We'll be on her not too long behind you for New Year's

• Like 1

That sounds like a neighbor on one cruise I was on. You could tell when he woke up because he always slammed his bathroom door so hard it shook everything on that wall. And then he must have forgotten his razor because he would slam it twice more when he went out and then back in, and then when he was done. The first time he did it I thought we had hit a log but then you could hear the toilet flush so I knew we weren't going to sink.

Edited by lindaler

On 9/24/2019 at 6:24 PM, Emu2302 said:

Oh, trust me, we had every Guest Services manager, assistant manager, and more that we spoke with. They all refused to contact engineering or send any mechanical technicians up to our room. We also requested to speak to the Hotel director and were declined to speak to them. 

We were in a end hall room. On one side was the lobby of the midship elevator bank, the other was a room. The noise seemed to come from the elevator hallway area, somewhere in the walls.

This seems to be the normal way HAL handles a well known problem ( for the crew) for which they have no easy solution.  They will not call engineering because the issue is known and not going to be fixed.  The Hotel Manager wants no part of a known issue so depends on other staff to find a solution so that the passenger goes away.  These kind of things usually get no higher then the Guest Services Manager.  A more common HAL issue might be when the HVAC system does not properly work in a cabin and the fix is major.  They will continue to use the defective cabin until the passenger complains and then try to satisfy that passenger.  On the next cruise the whole cycle starts over again.  Eventually the “ deferred maintenance issue” does get resolved although it might not be until a dry dock or the ship reaches a port where there are capable contractors.

Hank