Jump to content

Most surprising thing seen on a cruise


Recommended Posts

A woman who pushed a small dog in a stroller, literally everywhere.  And the dog and the stroller were color coordinated in elaborate outfits and decorations.  If the dog had on a frilly yellow dress and bonnet, the stroller was decked out in yellow flowers, etc.  Pink dress...pink stroller.  Every day a different elaborate outfit.  And if you were lucky enough to be stuck in an elevator with them while she fluffed and primped the poor thing, that little dog would just stare at you...like he was pleading for help.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the buffet getting salad, the woman in front of me picked up the salad dressing container and put it up to her nose, (the container was touching her nose) and took a big sniff.  I walked away and notified the staff. 

 

And people wonder why I avoid the buffet...

Link to post
Share on other sites

On our 1st cruise back in 2011 on the Conquest, one night in the lounge we were attending a comedy show. Another couple began chatting us up and buying us drinks. It was obvious they enjoyed an alternative lifestyle and were trying to get us to go back to their room with us. We enjoyed a few rounds of drinks and went to bed in our own room by ourselves. LOL.

The next night we were eating dinner in the steakhouse with my brother and sister in law. In comes the alternative lifestyle couple. When they saw us they had a pretty disgusted look about them, I assumed they thought my in laws were who we chose for companionship instead of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, desiree741 said:

 

Similar experience. As we walked into our stateroom, after we were allowed in our stateroom  steward walked in, with business card in hand and introduced himself to us. Nice guy. Asked all the right questions(ie 1 or 2 times/day to clean your cabin. We said 1. We are just 2 people who don't mess up alot). I left him a $20 tip the next morning and left in on the bed with a sticky note saying "just a little something for you." We saw him every day, morning, noon, or night, and he greeted us with our names, and asking if we needed anything. We saw him every single day, whenever we walked down the corridor.  Amazing experience.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday here on the Inspiration . We were a Deck above Guest Services. Seemingly out of nowhere a group of women, who were in a long line started yelling loudly. The group divided into I think 2 factions. Maybe 3 ?? 

 

Yellng, FINGER POINTING, FACE into FACE. One G.S. Male Staff came around the desk to "Referee". The ladies didn't respond or change their behavior.  

 

Two more men security guards . Nothing. Then a petite S.G. got to the scene and she led one group away. 

 

It seemed like it took forever for Security to get there.  No progress was being made until the woman showed up. Would be interested on why the men kinda stood back and watched.  Really weird and definitely the most inappropriate behaviors (the fighting women) I've witnessed on a Cruise.

 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, desiree741 said:

First cruise, first day, first time exiting our stateroom our cabin steward addressed us by name. I thought that was cool as bleep!

Honestly, I can agree... this is something I have been pleasantly surprised about regarding Carnival and a factor I haven’t seen on Princess or Royal Caribbean. It reminds me of when I stay at certain hotel brands where the staff addresses me by name without hesitation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 6:04 AM, RWolver672 said:

I don't remember the ship but there was an elderly lady in a motorized scooter driving way too fast on the Lido Deck.  There was a small incline ramp that she hit full speed.  The scooter flipped over backwards and off she went flying.  Her husband walked over to her and said "How many times do I have to tell you that it's not funny when you do that."

 

Your story wins! 😂🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 8:39 AM, Joebucks said:

I have been on cruises where a fellow passenger said it was the worst thing ever. Worst entertainment, food, crowds, service, cleanliness, etc, yet I was fortunate enough to avoid all of it

Been on both sides of that. There are thousands of people on each cruise which creates the potential for several thousand unique experiences and opportunities. It happens - not one of us will have the same exact cruise and our preferences are all different.

 

In my earlier cruises of Carnival, I remember reading a review of someone who had a horrible cruise on the Carnival Destiny and I couldn’t understand how they had a bad time as everything was perfect for me. Several cruises and a couple of years later, I was on the opposite side where I had several bad experiences on the Carnival Miracle and others absolutely loved everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a Carnival Sister line ship walking through the casino. Where the 2 marble sidewalks converged there were 2 men driving their motorized scooters, one from each direction. At the intersection they collided. Both started hollering at the other, then one backed up a bit and took a short run and ran into the other guy again. The other guy backed up and ran into the first one, both of them steady holler and cussing the other. I was laughing too hard to do anything but one other passenger finally came over and separated them and sent them on their way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The funniest thing I heard was at the buffet, when the lady at next table was telling her hale and harty husband in great detail the house with garden she was going to buy when he died, lol. She had already seen the house in the village she lived in that she wanted.

 

We laughed at our table and said the husband should watch himself or she would have overboard, so she could get her dream house 😂😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MNLIvin said:

On a Carnival Sister line ship walking through the casino. Where the 2 marble sidewalks converged there were 2 men driving their motorized scooters, one from each direction. At the intersection they collided. Both started hollering at the other, then one backed up a bit and took a short run and ran into the other guy again. The other guy backed up and ran into the first one, both of them steady holler and cussing the other. I was laughing too hard to do anything but one other passenger finally came over and separated them and sent them on their way.

That would have been worth the cost of the whole cruise!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, Joe817 said:

This is a mundane post. Not about people or their actions. Growing up out in the country of North Texas I had not seen blue water before. All I had ever seen was brown water in our stock tanks(small little lakes dug all over our ranch for watering our horses and cattle ), or the greenish/brownish waters around Galveston. I was mesmerised by the beauty of the cobalt blue of the water. I think that was the reason we spent a lot of time on our balcony as we did.

Man, if you've still got water in your tanks then you're doin' great!  We have some left in all but two of ours.  It may be time to actually start setting out hay two months early!  What a humdinger of a drought we've slipped into.

 

More OT, I didn't witness it, but my wife relayed how a family was down at the customer service desk the night before we disembarked.  They were there to settle up their on-board account.  As it turned out, the mother had racked up quite the bill from drinks and the casino!  Everyone in their party was in shock.  Of course the matriarch of the family was not there at the time.  She may have been in the casino.  Adding to the bill (DW thinks it was over $1,800!).

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Yesterday here on the Inspiration . We were a Deck above Guest Services. Seemingly out of nowhere a group of women, who were in a long line started yelling loudly. The group divided into I think 2 factions. Maybe 3 ?? 

 

Yellng, FINGER POINTING, FACE into FACE. One G.S. Male Staff came around the desk to "Referee". The ladies didn't respond or change their behavior.  

 

Two more men security guards . Nothing. Then a petite S.G. got to the scene and she led one group away. 

 

It seemed like it took forever for Security to get there.  No progress was being made until the woman showed up. Would be interested on why the men kinda stood back and watched.  Really weird and definitely the most inappropriate behaviors (the fighting women) I've witnessed on a Cruise.

 

The male security were probably avoiding possible accusations of being inappropriate. I don't know how it works on ships, but in law enforcement, it's usually standard operating procedure for female officers to be present to make any necessary contact with women.

 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:11 PM, desiree741 said:

First cruise, first day, first time exiting our stateroom our cabin steward addressed us by name. I thought that was cool as bleep!

 

And just think, they remember the names of everyone in every cabin they're tending to on that cruise. And the next cruise. And the next...

 

I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites

A large extended family on the Imagination, screaming at the top of the lungs threatening to beat the #@$* out of another group of people in the atrium.  It was mainly noise and not a physical altercation though.

 

I think the most stunning visual was at embarkation on the Amsterdam, a woman I dubbed the sparkle sprite.  Wearing purple glitter, battery lights & blinged out from head to toe.  The shoes, the ball cap, every visible piece of clothing absolute blinding sparkle & bling.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

A large extended family on the Imagination, screaming at the top of the lungs threatening to beat the #@$* out of another group of people in the atrium.  It was mainly noise and not a physical altercation though.

 

Wow, then I should be surprised to have been on a peaceful cruise.  I read stories on here about violent fistfights and such.  I haven't seen a single fight or argument.  Everyone got along mostly fine.  Sure, there were shenanigans, like a group of drunk adults talking loudly in the pool, or high school kids taking mildly raunchy group selfies in the promenade.  But nothing like people going fisticuffs at each other or even threatening to do so.

 

I'm sure some of that happened while I was elsewhere on the ship, but I call it as I see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, xDisconnections said:

Been on both sides of that. There are thousands of people on each cruise which creates the potential for several thousand unique experiences and opportunities. It happens - not one of us will have the same exact cruise and our preferences are all different.

 

In my earlier cruises of Carnival, I remember reading a review of someone who had a horrible cruise on the Carnival Destiny and I couldn’t understand how they had a bad time as everything was perfect for me. Several cruises and a couple of years later, I was on the opposite side where I had several bad experiences on the Carnival Miracle and others absolutely loved everything.

This exactly why I take reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

 

Wow, then I should be surprised to have been on a peaceful cruise.  I read stories on here about violent fistfights and such.  I haven't seen a single fight or argument.  Everyone got along mostly fine.  Sure, there were shenanigans, like a group of drunk adults talking loudly in the pool, or high school kids taking mildly raunchy group selfies in the promenade.  But nothing like people going fisticuffs at each other or even threatening to do so.

 

I'm sure some of that happened while I was elsewhere on the ship, but I call it as I see it.


Same here.  After 14 cruises, I have never witnessed a fight.  Thankfully, I have never been at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the fights are the exceptions and why they definitely stand out to people who witness them.  I have been on cruises where other people have written reviews and made comments about bad behavior on the same cruise I was one and I never saw it.  I hang out on the lido deck and the deck above it most of the time on sea days, so it's not like I am away from everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the miracle in 2016 we went to the chef table. Most of the dinner was in the frankenstein night club. I thought it would be not as good as other ships. I was so wrong. The amazing table magician was the best. I would pay just to see him again

 

20160509_190126.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

On the miracle in 2016 we went to the chef table. Most of the dinner was in the frankenstein night club. I thought it would be not as good as other ships. I was so wrong. The amazing table magician was the best. I would pay just to see him again

 

20160509_190126.jpg


That would be so much fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Same here.  After 14 cruises, I have never witnessed a fight.  Thankfully, I have never been at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the fights are the exceptions and why they definitely stand out to people who witness them.  I have been on cruises where other people have written reviews and made comments about bad behavior on the same cruise I was one and I never saw it.  I hang out on the lido deck and the deck above it most of the time on sea days, so it's not like I am away from everyone.

I feel like people sometimes conflate playful drunken shenanigans and actual fighting.  For example, me and the people I met were hanging out in the Lido pool.  We were, to summarize, acting like the Carnival stereotype. :classic_wink:  We knew where to draw the line: none of us were college kids, after all.  But still, we obviously weren't sitting quietly in chairs, having intelligent conversations.  There's a time and a place for that, and the Lido pool on a sea day afternoon isn't it.  However, to some of the onlookers, it could have easily looked like a fight.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how people are talking about being on lots of cruises and never seeing a fight.  We were on our first cruise ever on the Carnival Magic in August.  While on an excursion at Amber Cove  during the lunch served on the excursion two ladies from the same cruise got into a fight.  Several people from the excursion got called in to break them up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...