Default Itinerary Name error

Seany527

My cruise on the Joy this October is no longer searchable on NCLs website. Yesterday when I searched there were many cabins left so I do not believe this is an issue of the cruise being sold out. 

When I review my vacation summary it says “Default Itinerary Name” in place of the cruise name. 

I searched the forum and got little info. When I called NCL Reservations they were not sure what it meant and recommended I call the NCL internet department. When I called them, they said to call NCL reservations. 

Did this happen to anyone else in the past?

Thanks!

C88E362F-ABF8-4715-8A91-BAAC0AC3B693.jpeg

Edited by Seany527

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nothing to a worry about. Nothing requiring you to call NCL. Enjoy your cruise. 

This happen to me a few years, it is could be a sign that NCL is canceling your cruise or making itinerary changes. it is sometime to worry about. In my case, Norwegian canceled my cruise and it took a few days for it to be official canceled with notifications sent out and the cruse not showing up in my account. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, shof515 said:

This happen to me a few years, it is could be a sign that NCL is canceling your cruise or making itinerary changes. it is sometime to worry about. In my case, Norwegian canceled my cruise and it took a few days for it to be official canceled with notifications sent out and the cruse not showing up in my account. 

How long before your cruise did this happen to you? This one leaves in 17 days. 

Defauly Itinerary Name is what comes up in a number of situations. I have had it a number of times.

When it has happened to me it has been due to itinerary changes, but I have also heard of others reporting it happening on itineraries which have then returned back to normal.

As it is so close then I would imagine that it is just a temporary blip, but maybe there has been a minor change (port times or something).

I would wait and see what happens. If you phone NCL then it is likely to just cause more confusion.

• Like 2

Itinerary change seems likely... but you would get an email with the changes about the same time.  Another possibility is they pulled the wrong itinerary to change and now they have to fix it back the way it was.  It would normally be back in 48 hours.

What date?  We are all wondering now.

There is nothing showing for Joy Oct. 12-26 right now!

Edited by PelicanBill

2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Itinerary change seems likely... but you would get an email with the changes about the same time.  Another possibility is they pulled the wrong itinerary to change and now they have to fix it back the way it was.  It would normally be back in 48 hours.

What date?  We are all wondering now.

11th Oct - It says on the original post.

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

Did they cancel it the week before the cruise?

41 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

This happened on our Joy Haven cruise when they closed the Haven Restaurant for the week and had to add meal packages to all the Haven passengers.

Did the online itinerary go back to normal before you sailed? How long before sailing did that happen?

Really hoping that's not the case for this cruise! Looking forward to enjoying the Haven restaurant.

3 hours ago, Matman1215 said:

Did the online itinerary go back to normal before you sailed? How long before sailing did that happen?

Really hoping that's not the case for this cruise! Looking forward to enjoying the Haven restaurant.

Yes it did, and the Haven restaurant was back up and running the same day we disembarked.

Very interesting - the Pacific costal from Vancouver BC to LA is there arriving LA on the 11th and the next cruise is in late Oct from Miami to Miami with a one way passage through the canal. So what is missing is the LA to Miami through the Canal. Since this is a required step in getting to Miami I suspect that they may be changing the itinerary. But since the Joy is still in AK and is doing fine I don't suspect ship issues - I remember a few years back the brought the Star around to Portland for azipod and other work - a few cruises later along the Mexican Rivera and issues cropped up such that they ran the ship empty through the Canal and to Freeport for more repairs before doing a Transatlantic back to England. Lots of people were counting on being able to combine several cruises together going from LA to Southampton and the Baltics.

Good Luck - hopefully your cruise will reappear by magic with no changes.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

Everything in my account was back to normal later that same day. I would say the outage lasted about 9 hours. 

The cruise was searchable again the next day, with a total down time of about 39 hours. 

No changes were made to my reservations, room, ports or times in ports. The only difference I saw was a $100 price drop from the starting rate. 

For other readers who look at this in the future, assume no additional changes were made to the cruise. If anything does change before boarding, I will update this thread. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just posted a similar question and am sure that I will get a lot of flack from the usual suspects that nit pick posts.

Our cruise is a seven day Alaska out of Seattle. 

Something tells me that it may be in anticipation of changes in the foreign port requirement.

I only hope that that is the case.

If they are going to cancel the cruise, I wish they would get on with it so I can cancel my flight and hotel reservation.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

I just posted a similar question and am sure that I will get a lot of flack from the usual suspects that nit pick posts.

Our cruise is a seven day Alaska out of Seattle. 

Something tells me that it may be in anticipation of changes in the foreign port requirement.

I only hope that that is the case.

If they are going to cancel the cruise, I wish they would get on with it so I can cancel my flight and hotel reservation.

So,,, why make a duplicate posting on a 2-year old thread. The information in this thread has nothing to do with the current COVID cancellation environment. It is irrelevant. 

NCL and all of the cruise lines have been working very hard with the state of Alaska to salvage part of the 2021 season. Law makers are working to help facilitate this. So,,, while there is a potential for some cruises to operate, it is dependent upon either Canada or the US to change their current policies. NCL and other cruise lines are only cancelling cruises month-by-month, hoping to operate in Alaska and around the world. 

Normally, the Default Itinerary Name means that your cruise has been cancelled. If it also asks you to make a payment, that means that all of the money from your reservation has been removed from the reservation and is in the process of being refunded. Usually, by Monday or Tuesday, NCL will send you a personal email on the terms and conditions of the cancellation,,, and maybe make a public announcement. It takes time to cancel thousands of reservations. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, Seany527 said:

My cruise on the Joy this October is no longer searchable on NCLs website. Yesterday when I searched there were many cabins left so I do not believe this is an issue of the cruise being sold out. 

When I review my vacation summary it says “Default Itinerary Name” in place of the cruise name. 

I searched the forum and got little info. When I called NCL Reservations they were not sure what it meant and recommended I call the NCL internet department. When I called them, they said to call NCL reservations. 

Did this happen to anyone else in the past?

Thanks!

C88E362F-ABF8-4715-8A91-BAAC0AC3B693.jpeg

This has happened to many of us in the recent past as has been captured on several Cruise Critic threads.  It can mean different things given the volatility of the cruise market.  In my case it signaled that changes were coming on my cruise that once re-posted resulted in a change to the embarkation date (one day earlier) and changes to three of the ports of call.  Your results may vary.  In other cases it has signaled a forthcoming cancellation of the cruise.  Stay patient or consult your TA/PCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

This has happened to many of us in the recent past as has been captured on several Cruise Critic threads.  It can mean different things given the volatility of the cruise market.  In my case it signaled that changes were coming on my cruise that once re-posted resulted in a change to the embarkation date (one day earlier) and changes to three of the ports of call.  Your results may vary.  In other cases it has signaled a forthcoming cancellation of the cruise.  Stay patient or consult your TA/PCC.

Ok. Thank you for letting me know that information I posted two years ago is no longer valid. 

1 hour ago, Seany527 said:

Ok. Thank you for letting me know that information I posted two years ago is no longer valid. 

Except for the FACT that there were fresh postings on this thread raising the same topic.  Glad you are keeping up. 😄

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, why make a duplicate posting on a 2-year old thread. The information in this thread has nothing to do with the current COVID cancellation environment. It is irrelevant. 

NCL and all of the cruise lines have been working very hard with the state of Alaska to salvage part of the 2021 season. Law makers are working to help facilitate this. So,,, while there is a potential for some cruises to operate, it is dependent upon either Canada or the US to change their current policies. NCL and other cruise lines are only cancelling cruises month-by-month, hoping to operate in Alaska and around the world. 

Normally, the Default Itinerary Name means that your cruise has been cancelled. If it also asks you to make a payment, that means that all of the money from your reservation has been removed from the reservation and is in the process of being refunded. Usually, by Monday or Tuesday, NCL will send you a personal email on the terms and conditions of the cancellation,,, and maybe make a public announcement. It takes time to cancel thousands of reservations. 

I disagree with the proposition that @Seany527's original post is irrelevant to today's circumstances.  I appreciate the historical perspective that @SouthLyonCruiser has brought to this topic by posting on this thread, especially in terms of what the "Default" message might mean.

While the "Default Itinerary Name" seems to be associated most of the time with cruises that are in the process of being cancelled, in several cases it has been/is being applied to cruise itineraries that are in a state of flux. For example, my October 2021 3-night Pacific Coastal on Norwegian Encore, booked prior to the Canadian ports closure, has had the "Default Itinerary Name" for the past month -- while it is no longer bookable, it has not been cancelled and I have not been prompted to make any payments, final or otherwise.  Its original itinerary (Vancouver-Victoria-San Francisco) will most likely be changed, if not cancelled entirely.  I'm obviously hoping that it's the former, but that's why I appreciate the historical perspective that this thread represents.

• Like 1