Dress Code

rhinomike

On our last cruise the 4 people in front of us going into the GDR were dressed in casual jeans, tennis shoes, and hoodie style t-shirts.  No problem, went right in.

On the previous cruise I saw one gentlemen wearing the same casual jeans, plaid shirt and tennis shoes multiple nights. No problem.

Both times I commented on the mid-cruise sheet "Why have a dress code if you are not going to enforce it?"  Received no answer.

Common thread maybe: the same hostess both cruises.  

The arbitrator of acceptability is the venue hostess or maitre de. Period. On our last cruise, the delightful hostess to the GDR turned away several people attempting to wear casual jeans. Other ships and other cruises they might get in. The restaurant hostess reigns!

• Thanks 1

So here’s the thing...when we are on an elegant Oceania ship filled with beautiful decor and beautiful art, we choose to dress casually but nicely, meaning, not blue jeans at dinner, not even designer. Will I do, however, a Jean style dress pant - a five pocket pant- in black velvet? Yes. With an elegant blouse and nice jewelry.  Will I wear a jean style pant on ponte on the last night? Yes, I will...with dressy jewelry and a black turtleneck. 
My experience has been that the staff not only appreciate the effort, but usually comment positively, and as one told me, it reflects our appreciation for our surroundings and the experience that Oceania provides.

Please don’t get me wrong, I do NOT want the formal gown thing, my husband does NOT want to deal with a tux- too many years of doing so both at home and on travel. Choosing to be respectful and not sloppy is our personal choice. I’ve never seen ANYONE turned away other than a couple that came back from a day ashore in muddy hiking pants and sneakers.

In summary, be who you are, be your authentic comfortable selves while being neat (clean) and respectful (no muddy clothing) and enjoy the cruise 😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chelseabelsea said:

a Jean style dress pant - a five pocket pant- in black velvet?

A five pocket pant that's not made from denim isn't jeans.  Period.  No reason for it to even be questioned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Really would be a great idea for this board to restrict dress code discussions to one "sticky" thread...same idea as (for example) the HAL board has one sticky location for discussion of smoking. 

I totally agree! The endless and I mean endless discussion of the dress  code is ridiculous. How difficult is this anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edgee said:

Really would be a great idea for this board to restrict dress code discussions to one "sticky" thread...same idea as (for example) the HAL board has one sticky location for discussion of smoking. 

16 minutes ago, ChappChapp said:

I totally agree! The endless and I mean endless discussion of the dress  code is ridiculous. How difficult is this anyway.

+2

It should be a sticky

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

+3 Should be a sticky. Absolutely no reason for a new thread on the subject to be started.

Same goes for “ Can I bring wine or alcohol aboard on Oceania?” 

To lazy to search or just trolling on both accounts!!

Well, we don't have to look at those.   I get a kick out of the dress code ones so read everyone.  And I haven't read the alcohol on O in a while.

• Haha 1

I think someone has to ask the host or Admin to make it a sticky

A sticky with photos  of what people should  wear and  NOT wear  might work 😎

Better yet  have O put real photos on their website  and in the Blue Book  of what is acceptable 

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think someone has to ask the host or Admin to make it a sticky

A sticky with photos  of what people should  wear and  NOT wear  might work 😎

Better yet  have O put real photos on their website  and in the Blue Book  of what is acceptable 

Yes photos would definitely help. Even a more defined description. Every cruise line is different and for new cruisers to Oceania even a google search of “resort wear” “country club” came up with loads of different things. It’s better for new cruisers to the line to ask the questions first on  a forum such as this rather than bringing clothes you don’t feel “fit in” with the other cruisers. 

• Like 1

All the photos in the world of what is acceptable will not help if the restaurant host or hostess does not enforce the code.  I still get upset thinking about the meal at Jacques I shared with the drunk in the baseball cap and Hawaiian shirt.  It was a 6:30 reservation and the meal took forever because he kept leaving the table for long periods of time to tipple elsewhere.

25 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

All the photos in the world of what is acceptable will not help if the restaurant host or hostess does not enforce the code.  I still get upset thinking about the meal at Jacques I shared with the drunk in the baseball cap and Hawaiian shirt.  It was a 6:30 reservation and the meal took forever because he kept leaving the table for long periods of time to tipple elsewhere.

I would have asked for another table  even if it was on another night

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

All the photos in the world of what is acceptable will not help if the restaurant host or hostess does not enforce the code. 

I totally agree.  Do any of you contact O corporate after the fact and do you get a response?  If they don't enforce it then as others have said it's a suggestion not a rule

BTW we're in Vegas right now and had lunch at a very, very nice place.  You can imagine the attire 😞

Can anyone help me with what is actually in the Blue Book?  It looks as though we will not be getting ours due to a mixup among my TA, O, and the parent TA of my agency.  My TA is an independent agency affiliated with a very large agency.  The TA specifically asked O to send all info to me, not the agency.  But she booked us online and apparently that info does not get through.  Not sure where my TA is located, but I think FL.  Parent agency is in CA.  I live in GA.  Blue Book went to CA.  So, what am I missing?  Through conversations with my agent and O, I realize that there is nothing in the Blue Book that we need to board (we carry on only so do not need luggage tags), that what we need to board will be emailed to us this week.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Can anyone help me with what is actually in the Blue Book?  It looks as though we will not be getting ours due to a mixup among my TA, O, and the parent TA of my agency.  My TA is an independent agency affiliated with a very large agency.  The TA specifically asked O to send all info to me, not the agency.  But she booked us online and apparently that info does not get through.  Not sure where my TA is located, but I think FL.  Parent agency is in CA.  I live in GA.  Blue Book went to CA.  So, what am I missing?  EM

Oh dear.   The Blue Book shows the itinerary, Your bookings.  The Port at which the ship will be docked.   It gives you full details of all the tours that Oceania offers for your cruise, times and days.  For me it is "The Cruise" and I would be very disappointed if it did not arrive.   If you can possibly get it I would.   However so long as you have the final invoice for your cruise and your Passport  (visa if necessary of course)  you will be able to board without a problem.  Have a nice time.  J

25 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Can anyone help me with what is actually in the Blue Book?  It looks as though we will not be getting ours due to a mixup among my TA, O, and the parent TA of my agency.  My TA is an independent agency affiliated with a very large agency.  The TA specifically asked O to send all info to me, not the agency.  But she booked us online and apparently that info does not get through.  Not sure where my TA is located, but I think FL.  Parent agency is in CA.  I live in GA.  Blue Book went to CA.  So, what am I missing?  Through conversations with my agent and O, I realize that there is nothing in the Blue Book that we need to board (we carry on only so do not need luggage tags), that what we need to board will be emailed to us this week.  EM

It does show  a lot of stuff but nothing that you cannot see online

You will get the FINAL CRUISE SUMMARY  email which shows the port info

for those that need luggage tags they are in the back of the book  but you can also get them at the port

I would say they are not that  important  a nice  book  but not  as good as in the early years  where it had the Officers listed plus other info  now it is more generic

I would not bother requesting one now 

JMO

5 hours ago, clo said:

I totally agree.  Do any of you contact O corporate after the fact and do you get a response?  If they don't enforce it then as others have said it's a suggestion not a rule

1.  I certainly mentioned it in my cruise comments on the form provided to be completed before disembarkation.

2.  I also talked to the French gentleman in charge of Jacques when we left that evening; he invited us to return another night, which we did and ate with normal people.  The drunk was so loud and obvious that everyone there that evening was aware of the situation whether they wanted to be or not!

Edited by CintiPam

4 hours ago, Bootstrap77 said:

Photos of a baseball cap Hawaiian t-shirt wearing cruiser in a “what not to bring” section might help those who want to abide by the dress code  😉 

But you can wear Hawaiian shirts & ball caps  on the cruise   but  the man should have been asked to remove the ball cap  at the table  or went he nipped out for more booze he should have been ask to  leave the restaurant permanently

Some hosts  are just not  experienced enough to confront guests that are drunk or not dressed appropriately

JMO

4 hours ago, Bootstrap77 said:

Photos of a baseball cap Hawaiian t-shirt wearing cruiser in a “what not to bring” section might help those who want to abide by the dress code  😉 

Not a tee shirt! It had a collar so should not have been objectionable to me?  His insistence on keeping the baseball cap on even when I asked him to remove it really irked me; he claimed that he always had to have a cap on due to psychological damage suffered from his service in Vietnam.  

You simply cannot make this stuff up, can you?