Long haul flight to Europe -- cardigan dilemma

cruisemom42

I am planning what to wear on my upcoming overnight flight to Rome in November. I have a pair of super comfortable black jogging style pants with a cuffed bottom that have a velvet stripe up the side to elevate them a little. They are Eileen Fisher, super comfortable; like wearing pajamas.

I plan to pair them with some comfortable slip-on Nikes in black/white OR my Cole-Haan grand tennis shoes in a subtle black/silver camo pattern. 

My question is what to pair with this on top?  I am not a super fan of long sweaters or dusters (which I see a lot of in "best travel" photos) because I don't really like wearing a top that's so long you have to sit on it. Also not sure I want to commit 100% to an athletic look, or else I might wear my black cashmere hoodie sweater. I also think that's too much black...

I like to have two layers to deal with fluctuating temperatures, and the bottom layer should look nice enough to wear on its own in case it is warm when I arrive (or in the airport, or on the plane...). Also I like to keep it simple when traveling -- no scarf.  For a top layer I prefer a cardigan to a slip-on sweater.

Any ideas for me?

Maybe a color-blocked sweater, which kind of goes with the more athletic apparel look without being OTT (although I think this one is a bit long for me):   https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-colorblocked-cashmere-cardigan-created-for-macys?ID=8540180&tdp=cm_app~zMCOM-NAVAPP~xcm_zone~zPDP_ZONE_A~xcm_choiceId~zcidM05MDU-f2dceffa-b991-433a-9074-5931a42420d5%40H7%40customers%2Balso%2Bshopped%24260%248540180~xcm_pos~zPos1~xcm_srcCatID~z260

Or something like this cardigan in the pale pink (but what to wear under it; I am not a white tee shirt person; too spill-prone)?  https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-open-front-cashmere-cardigan-regular-petite-sizes-created-for-macys?ID=8517194&RVI=Search_2&tdp=cm_choiceId~z8517194~xcm_pos~zPos2

I think this is a great cardigan idea:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=416969062&cid=1118518&pcid=1005761&vid=1&grid=pds_14_114_1#pdp-page-content

The fact that you can wear it two ways...it can have more or less coverage down the body. So maybe in the shorter way for a flight? When you are seated and may want more coverage around your shoulders and neck? If it is cool? 

Without photos...I'm mentally in agreement with you regarding the black on black but I know people do this all the time. I think choosing a color though that would go with your overall travel wardrobe would be a great idea.

IDK what you mean by nice enough for the bottom layer. I've done two overnight flights somewhat recently...last March and the beginning of September. In March, I wore too much...I was so concerned about being cold that I was hot. I had worn a tank top under a 3/4 sleeve knit shirt. I had also brought a cardigan that I didn't need...especially with having a blanket. I did bring a scarf...as a functional piece because I thought that would be nice around my neck and shoulders...better than a blanket. For September...I wore a graphic concert tee shirt. Somewhat simple for such a thing...a solid wine colored tee with an all white graphic print design. It was fun, comfortable and in it's own way...a stylish choice for me.

I brought a cardigan that I did use, but it's not my fave...I'm on the look out for a replacement and the link for the Athleta cardigan is one I have my eye on. 

• Like 1

I'm sitting in an airport right now wearing a light merino sweater, black J. Jill stretchy pants, and dark brown leather lace-up.  The sweater is warm enough, and soft, and the color goes with everything else I packed.  I have a black rain slicker in my carry-on in case I need another layer.

I travel in black because...dirt. Also, one flight the guy sitting next to me spilled two glasses of red wine on me. So. Black!

I typically wear a sleeveless or short sleeve tunic (for much travel - depends on temps overall for each trip - I wear EF crepe ankle length pants or a ponte pant, so I want a shirt that comes down below my butt) and a black cardigan, again longer since my preferred silhouette is long over lean.....

Whatever you wear on the plane should definitely be incorporated into the "regular" wardrobe for the entire trip, so your layers for shirt & sweater should be in colors & fabrics that will work with the rest of what you're bringing....

I typically wear a scarf (except in the hottest of summers en route to another hot destination...but sometimes even then!) so I can get an infusion of color & pattern from my scarf and not worry about wearing black top and bottom. But then, I love black and I wear black a lot. Am wearing a black cardigan over a black & white striped dress right now 😉

I too wear a lot of black when flying and for the same reason as Hoyaheel. I also have had a glass of red wine spilled on me-by a flight attendant! Anyway, as others have suggested, if black will work well with the rest of your travel wardrobe AND you are comfortable wearing it, then, if it were me, I wouldn’t worry about too much black.

Wishing you a very enjoyable trip.

Thanks for the ideas. I've always used black as my base layer for travel -- so almost always black pants of some type and a black tee as my underlayer (short or long sleeved depending on the season). But I do like some color in my outer top layer. Black is not as flattering close to my face as it used to be, and gray is abysmal and always has been. I tend to like some pattern -- for the same reason as black, it doesn't tend to show as much...

Hmmm, I'll have to keep thinking.

Bizmarck's mom -- you would wear a rain slicker on the plane for warmth?  My rain jacket is great and absolutely waterproof but not the kind of thing I want to wear indoors while trying to sleep!

• Like 1

I have a couple of long, loose, black skirts, elastic waist.  They don't twist up on me during the night.  I wear them with long black tunic tops.  Both items so I don't 'expose' myself 🙂  I have a long chenille cardigan/almost coat in beige from Nordys.  I can use it as a blanket if I want.  I pretty much only travel these days in Rothys.  I used to work for an intl. airline so I still dress nicely but with comfort being very important. And anything I wear to fly in will do duty onshore or ship.

001_Captoe_Black_121_A.jpg?v=1556306152

• Like 1

Such cute shoes, clo -- but not what I would travel in. I generally wear one of my pairs of walking shoes on the plane to save packing space. I'm also definitely a pants person when it comes to long flights. 

I've yet to try on any Rothy's -- I know they are of recycled materials. Do they make your feet hot? And do they have any arch support?  (I have picky feet after all my years of travel.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I think this is a great cardigan idea:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=416969062&cid=1118518&pcid=1005761&vid=1&grid=pds_14_114_1#pdp-page-content

The fact that you can wear it two ways...it can have more or less coverage down the body. So maybe in the shorter way for a flight? When you are seated and may want more coverage around your shoulders and neck? If it is cool? 

That is a great idea. If I really commit to the athletic look I might consider that one.  I'm just not convinced it would be versatile enough for me to use when IN Rome. I've got to be able to use it more places than just on the plane, lol.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Such cute shoes, clo -- but not what I would travel in. I generally wear one of my pairs of walking shoes on the plane to save packing space. I'm also definitely a pants person when it comes to long flights. 

I've yet to try on any Rothy's -- I know they are of recycled materials. Do they make your feet hot? And do they have any arch support?  (I have picky feet after all my years of travel.)

As I've said this brand is pretty much all that I travel with.  Of course if I need boots for Antarctica or the such but generally just Rothys.  They're made from recycled plastic bottles.  They're not  cheap but they have free shipping in both directions so easy to check them out.  They're not hot at all.  I can travel forever with two pairs.  BTW, you can throw them in the washer!

I just find skirts more comfortable on ten plus hour flights.

I don't travel in skirts either (though I wear dresses year round as my preferred option, I just don't like to travel in them - long gets in the way and short can be more revealing than I like, esp if I'm hoisting luggage somewhere 😉

I have a few patterned cardigans I love - a couple are from Nordstrom (Halogen has had some cute options in the past) and Lands End does as well (their Suprima cotton?) and Talbots sometimes does as well. Most of my patterned options have black included so they fit nicely with the rest of my wardrobe. Most of those options are also short - waist or just above the hip - not longer.....

I think a cashmere hoodie would be great...I think almost any type of sweater would work with the pants you describe.

I don't wear a lot of colors, so I probably won't be any help.  🙂 I'm a neutral gal in terms of clothing...and I do like the long duster cardigans that are back in style.  I have 3 from Banana Republic that I've been wearing the heck out of lately.  They're nice and thin, but warm and don't feel too bulky to me.  I don't like pockets on my clothes, and these work for me with slash pockets as opposed to obvious patch pockets that you see on a lot of sweaters lately.

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=492412032&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

How do you feel about waterfall cardigans?  I have 3 of these too from Banana Republic (hey, I find something I like and I tend to buy all the neutral colors LOL).  I bought these last year and love them...

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=501070022&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

or a boyfriend cardigan?

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=358496022&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

or a kimono style topper?  I have a couple from TJMaxx/Marshalls and Anthropologie in a variety of fabrics/colors/textures that are colorful, easy to wear and you feel put together.

https://www.anthropologie.com/kimonos-vests

I have a trip coming up to South America and I'm wearing my typical long flight outfit of black ponte leggings, white or gray tank, cardigan (long duster type or waterfall) and ballet flats.  I always have a lightweight cashmere scarf...I have about 8 colors of those ones from Restoration Hardware, love them.

Have fun on your trip!

Edited by CutieKakes

What about the grey (or was it black) Prana sweater that you bought last year (or 2 years ago)??  The one from Sierra Trading Post.  It has the peplum back, but open front.  That is a good one!!!   

I have a pair of Rothy's.  No arch support.  I can't wear them if I have to stand at the Front Desk all day, but If I'm sitting in the back office, they are OK.  I stick to Jambu when I'm shopping for travel shoes,

Edited by slidergirl

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

What about the grey (or was it black) Prana sweater that you bought last year (or 2 years ago)??  The one from Sierra Trading Post.  It has the peplum back, but open front.  That is a good one!!!   

It developed holes after only a season of wear, unfortunately. Not moth holes, but due to wear, I guess. The knit was pretty thin. You have a good memory  :classic_biggrin:  -- I think it was at least two years ago.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:16 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Bizmarck's mom -- you would wear a rain slicker on the plane for warmth?  My rain jacket is great and absolutely waterproof but not the kind of thing I want to wear indoors while trying to sleep!

My rain slicker is really breathable, so it does work. I drape it over myself kind of like a blanket.  (I used to backpack quite a bit, so got used to making the gear I happened to have with me work for whatever the situation was.)

I wish my feet were happy in Rothys.  I need more support than they provide, so my travel shoes are heavy -- Dansko and Naot are my go-to brands.

11 hours ago, CutieKakes said:

I think a cashmere hoodie would be great...I think almost any type of sweater would work with the pants you describe.

I don't wear a lot of colors, so I probably won't be any help.  🙂 I'm a neutral gal in terms of clothing...and I do like the long duster cardigans that are back in style.  I have 3 from Banana Republic that I've been wearing the heck out of lately.  They're nice and thin, but warm and don't feel too bulky to me. 

Have fun on your trip!

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll go with the hoodie. 

I really like the way dusters look on others --  but they do nothing for me and I think I would find the length annoying on a long flight. I don't like sweaters so long that you sit on them. They pull, and they lose their shape.

5 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

My rain slicker is really breathable, so it does work. I drape it over myself kind of like a blanket.  (I used to backpack quite a bit, so got used to making the gear I happened to have with me work for whatever the situation was.)

I wish my feet were happy in Rothys.  I need more support than they provide, so my travel shoes are heavy -- Dansko and Naot are my go-to brands.

Yeah, mine's more plastic-y. (Supposedly breatheable but....:classic_dry:)

I suspect my feet, like yours, need more support. Still would like to try some of the cuter ones as a dressier shoe for a cruise evening....  Not for this kind of trip where I plan to walk miles -- how else to walk off that pasta and gelato?? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll go with the hoodie. 

I really like the way dusters look on others --  but they do nothing for me and I think I would find the length annoying on a long flight. I don't like sweaters so long that you sit on them. They pull, and they lose their shape.

I am always HOT on flights so the very thought of cashmere in any form, much less a hoodie, make me break out in an anticipatory "glow."

I also don't consider long, intl. flights to be a fashion 'event.'  Unless you're leaving the airplane to go to an "event" then don't worry about it.  I promise you that nobody on that airplane is every going to look at you 🙂

9 hours ago, clo said:

I am always HOT on flights so the very thought of cashmere in any form, much less a hoodie, make me break out in an anticipatory "glow."

I also don't consider long, intl. flights to be a fashion 'event.'  Unless you're leaving the airplane to go to an "event" then don't worry about it.  I promise you that nobody on that airplane is every going to look at you 🙂

The long-haul flights can be anything from absolutely freezing to "tee shirt comfy" for me. But more times than not I find them cool to chilly. Most cashmere is fairly thin. I actually prefer merino as I think it wears better but I'll take either.  

It makes me feel more put together when I look put together. Long haul flights are tough enough as it is. At least I want to look human even if I don't feel human, lol.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It makes me feel more put together when I look put together. Long haul flights are tough enough as it is. At least I want to look human even if I don't feel human, lol.  

I haven't taken so many long haul flights...but the last overnight I took...we ended up wearing the clothes we wore on the plane for over 36 hours. We had a long drive to the airport...4 hours...the flight...and then we hit the ground running. clo, I agree that it isn't a fashion event but sometimes circumstances dictate that you wear something the you at least don't mind being seen out and about after the flight.

I have a few different weights of merino wool items. I'd like to collect more. I didn't think that I would enjoy wearing it in the summer but I have an extremely lightweight hoodie that I love to wear at the beach for sun protection. It breathes so much better than a typical rash guard...and it dries quickly. Very versatile.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The long-haul flights can be anything from absolutely freezing to "tee shirt comfy" for me. But more times than not I find them cool to chilly. Most cashmere is fairly thin. I actually prefer merino as I think it wears better but I'll take either.  

44 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

I haven't taken so many long haul flights...but the last overnight I took...we ended up wearing the clothes we wore on the plane for over 36 hours. We had a long drive to the airport...4 hours...the flight...and then we hit the ground running. clo, I agree that it isn't a fashion event but sometimes circumstances dictate that you wear something the you at least don't mind being seen out and about after the flight.

I like cashmere better than merino wool too, but I agree that it can be more delicate.  I tend to 'run hot' as a person in life, but when I fly, I tend to be cold for some reason.  So layers are crucial for me.

We too often get off a flight and then immediately go do something.  I always like to look relatively 'put together' in general, that is just my MO, but definitely when traveling.  And you can find so many options nowandays that look nice/are comfortable.  It's really not hard.  I find I often adjust better to a time difference if we go and do something when we arrive (obviously it depends on the local time when we land).

I've stopped buying wool or cashmere tops as they just sit in a drawer until we have a power failure in winter 🙂  I'm never cold.

As I've said I look very presentable, probably more so than most of the pax on the plane.  But I don't make it a fashion event.  I wear no jewelry, no scarf, etc.  And what I DO wear will be totally appropriate in the GDR and specialty restaurants.

Funny that a long sweater would bother you to sit on but a hoodie isn't a problem. I can't wear hoodies - all that fabric hanging at my neck makes me CRAZY, and if I had to lean against it in an airplane seat? No way.  So glad there are many choices out there that hopefully will make each of us happy  ;-)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 8:08 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I am planning what to wear on my upcoming overnight flight to Rome in November. I have a pair of super comfortable black jogging style pants with a cuffed bottom that have a velvet stripe up the side to elevate them a little. They are Eileen Fisher, super comfortable; like wearing pajamas.

I plan to pair them with some comfortable slip-on Nikes in black/white OR my Cole-Haan grand tennis shoes in a subtle black/silver camo pattern. 

My question is what to pair with this on top?  I am not a super fan of long sweaters or dusters (which I see a lot of in "best travel" photos) because I don't really like wearing a top that's so long you have to sit on it. Also not sure I want to commit 100% to an athletic look, or else I might wear my black cashmere hoodie sweater. I also think that's too much black...

I like to have two layers to deal with fluctuating temperatures, and the bottom layer should look nice enough to wear on its own in case it is warm when I arrive (or in the airport, or on the plane...). Also I like to keep it simple when traveling -- no scarf.  For a top layer I prefer a cardigan to a slip-on sweater.

Any ideas for me?

Maybe a color-blocked sweater, which kind of goes with the more athletic apparel look without being OTT (although I think this one is a bit long for me):   https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-colorblocked-cashmere-cardigan-created-for-macys?ID=8540180&tdp=cm_app~zMCOM-NAVAPP~xcm_zone~zPDP_ZONE_A~xcm_choiceId~zcidM05MDU-f2dceffa-b991-433a-9074-5931a42420d5%40H7%40customers%2Balso%2Bshopped%24260%248540180~xcm_pos~zPos1~xcm_srcCatID~z260

Or something like this cardigan in the pale pink (but what to wear under it; I am not a white tee shirt person; too spill-prone)?  https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-open-front-cashmere-cardigan-regular-petite-sizes-created-for-macys?ID=8517194&RVI=Search_2&tdp=cm_choiceId~z8517194~xcm_pos~zPos2

I really like the color blocked one, & think it'll look cute with the top you described.   The nice thing about it being a little longer, without being a duster is that you could wear it backwards for sleeping on the plane (kind of like a blanket with arms)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I totally get it.  I wore the same clothes for 40 hours before my hotel room was ready. Dead tired, feeling very grungy, desperately needing a shower and a nap. But, my brown sweater and dark jeans didn't stand out at all when walking around the city.