What is your experience with an interior guarantee?

psygist

I can get a great deal on a six night Australia cruise with an interior guarantee cabin. What is your experience with this category?  

What is the likelihood of an upgrade?  Is an outside cabin or balcony possible when available, or did you end up in a lower deck inside cabin?

57 minutes ago, psygist said:

What is the likelihood of an upgrade?

Low, but on Ovation, the ratio of balconies to interiors is so high, that some times the balcony price comes down to interior levels so you can upgrade yourself for very little.

Edited by Biker19

Always book inside guarantee's unless there's a minimal difference in cost. Have always gotten cabins on mid deck levels. I don't come on a cruise to sit in my cabin or look out a window, the only balcony I consider worth it would be an Aft.

I read on CC about a lot of people booking one kind of cabin as a guarantee in getting upgraded to some fabulous cabin. We have booked maybe 20 or 30 guarantee sailings  and if I remember correctly, in every case, we received the particular cabin category for which we were guaranteed.    If we guaranteed an inside cabin, we were given an inside cabin. If we guaranteed a balcony, we were given a balcony. We were never upgraded to the next “super“ category.    One time we booked an  interior cabin on mariner, and were given an interior promenade. Don’t know if that’s considered an upgrade to another super category.  I would’ve consider the next category from an interior to be an ocean view. 

OP – if you are not going to be happy with an inside cabin, I would suggest not booking the guarantee and booking the type of category you prefer. 

Good luck with whatever you decide 

M

I think things have changed a lot since royal up started.  If you book an inside be prepared to have an inside.  If you get an upgrade be excited but don’t be disappointed if you don’t.  Bid for an upgrade if you want to be upgraded although since “they” say it’s somewhat based on the price you first paid your chances may be less.  

We have a balcony gty booked now with no assignment,  have placed a bid up.   We will be happy with any balcony for the price we paid. If we don’t get upgraded with bidding we just saved a lot of money for our next cruise!  That’s how we look at it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Agree with everyone...hope for, but don't expect an upgrade.

How soon after booking a GTY do you usually receive a cabin assignment?

There's no "usually".   Assignment can come anytime, up to when you arrive at the pier.

My experience has always been given an interior cabin.  I have been able to move locations within the same category if availability. Once, I was given an accessible room. I'm surprised they didn't upgrade us to an oceanview or anything else since we do not require an accessible cabin. Any upgrades, have been purchased on my own.