MSC Seaside questions

CruisinLJ

I have sailed on Carnival 10 times.  My cruise on the Seaside will be my first on MSC.  I have been wanting to try a different cruise line and am going into this with a totally open mind.  But... This ship has many more bad reviews on CruiseCritic than I am used to. 

I always get a drink package as I like good coffee in the morning and usually get my money's worth out of beer, Bacardi/Coke's and bottled water.  The easy package is perfect for me as I typically do not get anything else to drink.  Are the cruisers that have been branded with the easy drink package treated differently because they didn't get the premium package?

Also on the easy drink package - I have seen pics of menus that lay out what you can get on the ship with the easy package but then I also read that you can get anything that costs up to $6 per drink.  Then they say beer is limited to only Miller Lite.  It's confusing.  Any guidance?

I am not a foodie so I don't buy the upgraded dining experiences but on Carnival, there seem to be a lot more free options than just a buffet or the main dining room - were the food options for the Bella folks adequate?  Seems like I'll miss Guy's Burger joint and the Pizza place at the quiet pool that Carnival always has.

I'm a night owl and like the shows, the music and the disco.  Not many people on the threads talk about nightlife on the Seaside.  Is there any?  Or does the ship pretty much go to sleep at 10pm...

One last thing - I'll be solo on this ship.  I've always managed to meet people on Carnival cruises either through the singles meet and greets or just by chatting with people at the bars.  I am guessing that MSC will be no different, but that said, their website doesn't do a lot to market to solos.  Any one remember seeing a singles meet and greet on the daily schedule for Seaside.

The only reason I ask all these questions is the bad reviews have me wondering.  I just want to go in with my CruiseCritic brother and sister's knowledge.  I'm already booked at a really good rate and am optimistic that I'm going to have a great time... I'm just trying to set a baseline for my expectations on the MSC Seaside.

All input will be appreciated.  except for cancelling the cruise... I'm going!  so tell me your tips for the Seaside :) 

Many Thanks!

Edited by BeachinLar

2 minutes ago, BeachinLar said:

I have sailed on Carnival 10 times.  My cruise on the Seaside will be my first on MSC.  I have been wanting to try a different cruise line and am going into this with a totally open mind.  But... This ship has many more bad reviews on CruiseCritic than I am used to. 

I always get a drink package as I like good coffee in the morning and usually get my money's worth out of beer, Bacardi/Coke's and bottled water.  The easy package is perfect for me as I typically do not get anything else to drink.  Are the cruisers that have been branded with the easy drink package treated differently because they didn't get the premium package?

Also on the easy drink package - I have seen pics of menus that lay out what you can get on the ship with the easy package but then I also read that you can get anything that costs up to $6 per drink.  Then they say beer is limited to only Miller Lite.  It's confusing.  Any guidance?

I am not a foodie so I don't buy the upgraded dining experiences but on Carnival, there seem to be a lot more free options than just a buffet or the main dining room - were the food options for the Bella folks adequate?  Seems like I'll miss Guy's Burger joint and the Pizza place at the quiet pool that Carnival always has.

I'm a night owl and like the shows, the music and the disco.  Not many people on the threads talk about nightlife on the Seaside.  Is there any?  Or, hopefully not, does the ship pretty much go to sleep at 10pm...

One last thing - I'll be solo on this ship.  I've always managed to meet people on Carnival cruises either through the singles meet and greets or just by chatting with people at the bars.  I am guessing that MSC will be no different, but that said, their website doesn't do a lot to market to solos.  Any one remember seeing a singles meet and greet on the daily schedule for Seaside.

The only reason I ask all these questions is the bad reviews have me wondering.  I just want to go in with my CruiseCritic brother and sister's knowledge.  I'm already booked at a really good rate and am optimistic that I'm going to have a great time... I'm just trying to set a baseline for my expectations on the MSC Seaside.

All input will be appreciated.  except for cancelling the cruise... I'm going!  so tell me your tips for the Seaside 🙂

Many Thanks!

Hello and congratulations on booking Seaside. We sailed her last October and loved the ship and the crew. Since we were in Aurea and had the Premium drinks package (and were traveling as a couple), I can't comment on some things. I will say that the coffee was GREAT. I love Italian coffee and stopped in the News Café every morning for 2 cappuccinos. They use Segafredo, which is a good brand, IMHO. We loved the food (always ate in the MDR), and we especially enjoyed the pizza and pasta, as well as the pastries and GELATO. The ship itself is stunning. There is nightlife but my wife and I always went into port for excursions and so after walking around all day and eating dinner at 8:30 pm, we were too sleepy to do much nightlife. The shows were supposedly good, one issue we ran into is that due to our port excursions and dining time, there was only 1 show we could see each night and it was always fully booked. I will say this about the negative reviews on CC: I ignored them. I mean, I read them, but nearly always it came down to some else's personal taste and I'm not the typical American. I encourage anyone to remember that food taste is highly subjective, and MSC's experience feels more European. The vast majority of the negative reviews I read before cruising came down to 1) MSC feels European vs American and 2) Their food isn't geared towards Americans. The one negative I came across was that the bar staff sometimes seemed overwhelmed and drinks on occasion were slow in coming. But the positives outweighed the negatives by far. (For this reason we have 2 upcoming cruises booked with MSC) Hope you have a great time! 

• Like 1

Yes you can have drinks up to $6, there's draught Heineken and sometimes in some of the bars others. The included bottles are Heineken & Miller Lite. No one apart from you will know your drinks package and you'll certainly not be treated any differently to someone with Premium or someone without a package for that matter. 

The included food options are the same regardless of your experience package, excluding YC. 

Lots of evening entertainment, bars have singers music etc and there are shows and a disco. Not forgetting the white night party. We've certainly never been in bed by 10pm!

I'm fairly certain that I've seen solo cruisers meetings. Have you joined your roll call? A good place to find out if there are any other solo travellers. 

MSC aren't an American cruise line, the experience is different and that has resulted in more negative reviews. If you're sailing with an open mind you'll have a great time. 

• Like 1

MSC doesn't spread their eating venues all around the ship.  Other than the MDR's, there are the specialty restaurants, and the two buffets.  the buffet on deck 16 is only open for breakfast and lunch, but I found it never crowded.  the one on deck 8 is larger and I understand have more variety, but still lots of seating.  One thing I liked is that there are hand washing stations as you enter and leave the buffet areas.  Nice to wash before eating, and handy if you have a messy sandwich - you don't have to hunt up a bathroom to wash hands.  

Deck 8 handwashing:

enhance

Deck 16:

enhance

• Like 1

Yes, many of the newer ships have more options for food whether free or for fee.  Seaside is the MDRs, two buffets, Sports Bar (for fee), and then the specialty restaurant area on deck 16 forward.  Some of the specialties are open on sea days.

The large buffet has a wide selection of food with some repeat of items on the other side.  Pizza is very good.  Late night selection in buffet not very large.  Burger and grill area always seemed to be slammed with people and probably needs to be re-thought.

• Like 1

The MSC Seaside is better than any product Carnival offers including the Vista Class ships I've sailed with Carnival.  I can't believe you think the OP has quiet pools ..... That is so far from the truth and and where beliefs come in from sailing only Carnival which is bottom of the barrel. MSC's pizza is 100 times better than Carnival's. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hello and congratulations on booking Seaside. We sailed her last October and loved the ship and the crew. Since we were in Aurea and had the Premium drinks package (and were traveling as a couple), I can't comment on some things. I will say that the coffee was GREAT. I love Italian coffee and stopped in the News Café every morning for 2 cappuccinos. They use Segafredo, which is a good brand, IMHO. We loved the food (always ate in the MDR), and we especially enjoyed the pizza and pasta, as well as the pastries and GELATO. The ship itself is stunning. There is nightlife but my wife and I always went into port for excursions and so after walking around all day and eating dinner at 8:30 pm, we were too sleepy to do much nightlife. The shows were supposedly good, one issue we ran into is that due to our port excursions and dining time, there was only 1 show we could see each night and it was always fully booked. I will say this about the negative reviews on CC: I ignored them. I mean, I read them, but nearly always it came down to some else's personal taste and I'm not the typical American. I encourage anyone to remember that food taste is highly subjective, and MSC's experience feels more European. The vast majority of the negative reviews I read before cruising came down to 1) MSC feels European vs American and 2) Their food isn't geared towards Americans. The one negative I came across was that the bar staff sometimes seemed overwhelmed and drinks on occasion were slow in coming. But the positives outweighed the negatives by far. (For this reason we have 2 upcoming cruises booked with MSC) Hope you have a great time! 

I'm always more open to new things, so I am looking forward to it.  Glad to hear that the Bella class isn't segregated in any way...  Thanks for your input!  I really appreciate it! 

5 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Yes you can have drinks up to $6, there's draught Heineken and sometimes in some of the bars others. The included bottles are Heineken & Miller Lite. No one apart from you will know your drinks package and you'll certainly not be treated any differently to someone with Premium or someone without a package for that matter. 

The included food options are the same regardless of your experience package, excluding YC. 

Lots of evening entertainment, bars have singers music etc and there are shows and a disco. Not forgetting the white night party. We've certainly never been in bed by 10pm!

I'm fairly certain that I've seen solo cruisers meetings. Have you joined your roll call? A good place to find out if there are any other solo travellers. 

MSC aren't an American cruise line, the experience is different and that has resulted in more negative reviews. If you're sailing with an open mind you'll have a great time. 

Great info!  Exactly what I was looking for...  I'm going to have to remember to pack for white night :)

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

MSC doesn't spread their eating venues all around the ship.  Other than the MDR's, there are the specialty restaurants, and the two buffets.  the buffet on deck 16 is only open for breakfast and lunch, but I found it never crowded.  the one on deck 8 is larger and I understand have more variety, but still lots of seating.  One thing I liked is that there are hand washing stations as you enter and leave the buffet areas.  Nice to wash before eating, and handy if you have a messy sandwich - you don't have to hunt up a bathroom to wash hands.  

Deck 8 handwashing:

enhance

Deck 16:

enhance

Handwashing stations?  What a great idea!!!  Thanks!

I'm always more open to new things, so I am looking forward to it.  Glad to hear that the Bella class isn't segregated in any way...  Thanks for your input!  I really appreciate it! 

I don’t know when your cruise is, but if it’s after next month, you may be one of the first lucky ones to see MSC’s new Ocean Cay private island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BeachinLar said:

Actually the split between Bella and Fantatisca was started long after most of MSCs ships were built. So the cabins are the same, Fantastica gives you a higher deck. And some free extra kids activity, a few more Voyager points and a free photo. 

18 hours ago, BeachinLar said:

'm a night owl and like the shows, the music and the disco.  Not many people on the threads talk about nightlife on the Seaside.  Is there any?  Or does the ship pretty much go to sleep at 10pm...

10 pm is the time many Southern Europeans think about dinner. Music and disco starting much later. You will be suprised how many kids are still running around after midnight 

• Like 2

No one will know your drink package except you and the bartender. There's two bottled beers and one draft beer (Heineken and Miller lite), if a bar runs out of one they may substitute.  Yes, any drink up to $6, plus the specific brands and cocktails listed in the menus.  There's few drinks $6 and less, and no beers except those two...so no real worries there. As you drink Bacardi and coke - Easy is perfect for you.   (It's Bacardi White though, keep in mind). Also all non-alcoholic drinks. It's unlimited, no 15 a day like Carnival.

There's no "segregation" between Experience levels (except YC on ships that have it). Again, no one knows your Expectations level except you and your room steward, or whomever the you show your cruise card to.  It's not tattooed onto your forehead or hung on your neck or anything. Normal cabin, look like any other Experience's cabin, dining room is the same, etc 

Main dining room (breakfast daily, lunch on sea days, dinner nightly) included, both buffets included in your fare. There's no extra included venues. Buffet on 8 is open about 19-20 hours a day, wide selection of food. Otherwise - Sports Bar, Butcher's Cut, Roy's Market and Sushi, Teppanyaki, and Ocean Cay Seafood at extra charge. Room service has a delivery fee for Bella with some free items and some items with a fee 

There's loads of nightlife. Earliest we ever made our cabin on our two different sailings was 2am. 3 seatings for production shows every single night (different show each night), 7:15, 8:30, 9:45.  Music in Atrium, Seaview, Haven, South Beach Pool. Garage Club for later night disco. Sports in sports bar. Theme parties in Haven and on deck. BeerProv comedy a couple nights. Karaoke. Movies on the deck big screen a couple nights. And so on.  

CruiseCritic itself does an excellent Meet and Greet - sign up via the M&G link. Cake, free drinks, senior officers, etc - they go all out. First Sea day, 10am. Well worth it. Great spot to meet others. We found people quite sociable, lots of various groups with mixed demographics, etc - super easy to meet new folks. I didn't see any specific Solo get togethers but then, I didn't really look. I generally don't pay much attention to activities till nightime. Lol. 

I have no doubt you'll have a great time. It's very different from Carnival, embrace the differences rather than let them detract - if you wanted Carnival, you can sail Carnival again!  We love the differences, the more Europe flair, the wider mix of nationalities, the less over focus on food all the time, the different activities, the much better late night focus than other mainstream lines (we're night owls, continental Europe folks don't seem to get going till 10 or 11, right up our alley. Late dining is quite popular! As opposed to other lines..)

Have a great time!! 

• Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

You're gonna love the Seaside!

Speaking of night life we met so many people on our cruise last year on the Seaside.  

Every night was a theme party of some kind.  

There was the White Party like someone already mentioned.  

We also had the Gatsby Party, Pirate Night, Formal Night, and 70's Flower Glory Party.  We knew about them ahead of time so we dressed up for each and it was a real conversation starter with other cruisers and the cruise director staff.

1552141817_ScreenShot2019-10-28at1_35_01AM.thumb.png.86bb3037162946643a93f076404334d1.pngMVZTE9997.thumb.jpg.61065c66a1d1c5c751583499248eec86.jpg

1887250357_ScreenShot2019-10-23at5_32_05PM.thumb.png.934324e84d2ff33eeaf175672bfcae0f.png

IMG_7915.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 12:37 AM, Motegi said:

You're gonna love the Seaside!

Speaking of night life we met so many people on our cruise last year on the Seaside.  

Every night was a theme party of some kind.  

There was the White Party like someone already mentioned.  

We also had the Gatsby Party, Pirate Night, Formal Night, and 70's Flower Glory Party.  We knew about them ahead of time so we dressed up for each and it was a real conversation starter with other cruisers and the cruise director staff.

1552141817_ScreenShot2019-10-28at1_35_01AM.thumb.png.86bb3037162946643a93f076404334d1.pngMVZTE9997.thumb.jpg.61065c66a1d1c5c751583499248eec86.jpg

1887250357_ScreenShot2019-10-23at5_32_05PM.thumb.png.934324e84d2ff33eeaf175672bfcae0f.png

IMG_7915.jpg

I was amazed at how many people dressed up for the events on our Seaside sailing, especially the Great Gatsby night.

I really enjoyed the coffee in the buffers on Seaside, they have steamed milk available at all times so that really elevates a simple cup. 

Definitely go to the CC meet and mingle. We were able to stock up on chips, chocolate covered strawberries, and bottles of sparkling water and meet other cruisers who had great tips and tricks for us.

It’s definitely a different vibe from Carnival, We enjoyed the wide variety nationalities and languages.

You should definitely try any and all Indian food in the buffet and MDR, we discovered the biryani too late and never saw it again after the 4th or 5th day. IMO the Indian food was the best food we had on the ship!

• Like 1