Which NCL ships do you prefer, which do you avoid?

SempreMare

I really like Jewel class ships and the Sun.  Have to have Great outdoors and Spinnaker/observation lounge to spend time staring at water.  This is cruising.  Won't go on Dawn or Star because of this.  Preferably warm weather as I am from Canada.  Was on Getaway once but don't particularly want to go back although I did have a balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:02 PM, ColeThornton said:

It might be easier if you say what YOU and your family are looking for and what YOU like.  I think you'll get more helpful answers that way.

totally true: We base our cruising preference somewhat on who we are cruising with and what we want to achieve from our cruise:

Generally if we are cruising with friends or relatives and there are no kids involved, also no itinerary preference we lean toward: 

Jewel class ships. They are a bit older but NCL keeps their ships updated regularly. The size of the ships are perfect for us and the service is always great. After Jewel class comes the Dawn again, same reason, older but nice size and a fantastic staff, plus the bar entertainment is perfect for us. We also love the Sun for mostly the same reasons. We have been on both several times. 

With a family we lean toward the mega ships: more for the kids to do. 

There are none I would not sail but the two I prefer to stay away from are: The Spirit: it was built with the Asian cruiser thus the cabins are small and the bathrooms very small. What I do love about the ship is the decor. it is a very classy ship.  The other ship I would stay away from with a family any way would be the Epic. Nothing wrong with the ship overall but the bathroom up is a bit strange when it comes to any privacy. For hubby and I it was fine. If we were traveling with say a friend or with the kids, I am not sure I would be comfortable. 

• Like 1

My 2 cents...

We pick cruises based on destinations to see. My observations are that the mega-ships tend to have less port days and more sea days. There are of course less ports equipped to serve the mega ships. Also when they dock, you have so many "friends" competing with you to find your guide, grab a taxi or whatever. 

Now, of course this is a personal choice. Many folks book a cruise totally based on the on-board amenities and don't really care where the ship sails to!

We are not really even loyal to NCL, but they most often have interesting itineraries for time frames we are looking to cruise.

On our last cruise we caught a presentation where they talked that NCL was launching the last of their mega-ships soon, and then they will eventually launch a series of 3,000ish passenger ships. I would find that interesting for a ship with new bells and whistles, but not overwhelming number of "friends" on board.

• Like 1

I'd really sail on any ship if the price and itinerary were right.

I don't think I'll book the Encore until I hear some reviews, and find out whether the lack of sundeck space contributes to overcrowding in other areas. I'm not much of a sunbather myself, but I do like quiet walks on the Waterfront, so I'm curious as to whether that will fill up with the lack of upper deck space. It may not -- after all, half of the Waterfront is usually shaded at any given time -- but I may hold off until I have more details. I'm not ruling Encore out yet.

I would stay away from the Epic on itineraries that have a lot of sea days -- outdoor areas for walking are rather limited. The promenade doesn't wrap around, and it's obstructed by the lifeboats, plus there's no Waterfront.

I love the Jewel-class ships; I was just recently on the Gem and it was the perfect size. The Escape is one of my favorites, though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustThinking23 said:

My 2 cents...

We pick cruises based on destinations to see. My observations are that the mega-ships tend to have less port days and more sea days. There are of course less ports equipped to serve the mega ships. Also when they dock, you have so many "friends" competing with you to find your guide, grab a taxi or whatever. 

Now, of course this is a personal choice. Many folks book a cruise totally based on the on-board amenities and don't really care where the ship sails to!

We are not really even loyal to NCL, but they most often have interesting itineraries for time frames we are looking to cruise.

On our last cruise we caught a presentation where they talked that NCL was launching the last of their mega-ships soon, and then they will eventually launch a series of 3,000ish passenger ships. I would find that interesting for a ship with new bells and whistles, but not overwhelming number of "friends" on board.

It might not be as small as you think. The Getaway is only 5k GT more than the current specs on Leonardo. It's based of the same model as the MSC Seaside and only 13k GT less than her. I'm a little surprised NCL is saying it's going to be almost 1000 passengers less than Seaside (assuming the 3300 listed for Leonardo is double occupancy). Less than 10% less GT but only 75% of the passengers. Which could be a very good thing, though the cynic in me things they're going to increase it from 3300 passengers. 

• Like 1

We prefer the Jewel class ships because of there size, you don't have to deal with the masses.  But, having sailed on the Bliss, we would sail any mega ship because it has more things to do (love the slides), and the dining options.  

The Jewel class ships tend to offer longer, and more interesting itineraries.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:27 PM, SempreMare said:

Hello NCL Mavens 

I have 2 questions about the NCL ships with Haven listed below.  

I'd love to hear your opinion on this whether or not your reasons have anything to do with Haven, since I'm not sure how I'll book:

1) Which ships do you prefer & why? 

2) Which ships would you avoid or not prefer as much & why? 

--- Jewel class

Ship name, Date in service, Last Refurb
Gem, 2007, 2015
Jade, 2006, 2017
Pearl, 2006, 2017

--- Breakaway class

Epic, 2010, 2015
Breakaway, 2013, 2018
Getaway, 2014, 2019

--- Breakaway Plus class 

Escape, 2015, no refurb yet
Bliss, 2018, no refurb yet
Encore, 2019-11 inaugural voyage

Dates and ship class data above is from Wikipedia

We avoid the Epic.

Our favorites have been the Gem, Jade and Sun.

I've sailed the Jade, Breakaway and Epic. Though I liked them all probably my least favourite was the Breakaway. Balconies were small, smoking section was more offensive than the others, there was a constant leak in our cabin that they couldn't fix. The Jade and the Epic were both fantastic, though I'd give the edge to the Jade. Just the perfect size and great outdoor dining off the back of the ship. The itinerary (Italy & Greek Islands) is the best I've done.

Edited by ms.sunburn

On 9/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Epic is alone in the class, not a part of the Breakaway class.

Kinda avoid - Epic...because it is too ugly even though the Epic Haven is arguably the best in the fleet. 

This is sort of an oxymoron. Epic is one of my favorite ships and that includes two lines: NCL and Royal Caribbean.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:36 AM, PortFees45 said:

4000+ pax smashed into a tiny postage stamp of public deck space. The formerly free public deck space on the forward decks eliminated because of the massive new pay-only Vibe. The formerly free adult-only Spice H20 public deck space aft eliminated for the stupid for-pay laser tag. The quiet, peaceful Waterfront likely ruined because of the massive overflow crowd from the tiny public pool/sun decks. No Howl at the Moon. 

Does Encore have an adult only space in another location? What about other ships with pay laser tag? Do they have adult only spaces?

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Does Encore have an adult only space in another location? What about other ships with pay laser tag? Do they have adult only spaces?

No, Encore does not. The only public upper deck space, of any kind, is the tiny little pool deck midship.

Bliss has laser tag, but still has Spice H20 and at least SOME upper deck space besides the midship pool. 

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

Don't understand. Encore is not set to go into service until November 2019.

What don't you understand? I never plan to sail on the Encore. When it comes to my home port (NYC) I'll start looking at RCI. The Encore is the physical embodiment with literally everything that's wrong with Frank Del Rio's disgusting vision for NCL. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:23 AM, PortFees45 said:

They're selling bookings for it, though. 

Oh I forgot to say which ships I prefer. Love the Gem, and while I don't love the 'Away class the design the Escape is so well-run that it's become my second favorite. She's NCL's "last good ship" before they jumped the shark with the Blech, the Joke, and the Encrap. 

Lol!
Do you hold your opinion of the Escape because of her fantastic crew or the ship itself?

I'm least fond of the Spirit due to the lack of a thermal suite, and would only sail if I had a balcony or above - but she has a nice observation lounge, and Raffles Terrace is also good. 

I actively seek out the Jade, because I had my best cruise on her and she has most of the key features without being too crowded. I imagine the rest of the Jewel Class would be as good. 

Getaway was okay, and the Waterfront was a nice feature, but I'd pick the Epic over her due to less crowding whenever I've been on.

• Like 1

We did a TA in April on the Epic and loved it.  I had done my research and knew about the odd bathroom layout (I'll post photos if I can), but for us, the Broadway show (Priscilla Queen of the Desert), Beatles cover ban, and Howl at the Moon piano bar made the cruise very enjoyable.  We had originally booked an inside, but closer to the cruise, balconies came down in price, so we upgraded to a balcony.  We had 6 sea days on our itinerary with the crossing from FL to Europe and we found plenty to keep us occupied.  I'd sail the Epic again in a heartbeat.  My only other NCL experience has been on the Star to Alaska.  It is a much smaller ship and we prefer the larger ships, so I would stay with a larger ship unless the itinerary was really good.

The bathroom layout on the Epic has never been repeated on another ship and places the very small sink in the main cabin area.  As you enter the cabin, on one side is a small area with the toilet and on the other side is the shower.  These are both enclosed by an opaque door, so not completely solid, but still hard to look through.  There is a curtain to pull across to separate the shower/toilet area from the main cabin.  My main issue was stepping out of the shower into a cool cabin, as there is no bathroom door to close to keep the warmth in.

These photos show the sink (which is very tiny) in the cabin, the curtain to separate the shower/toilet area from the main cabin, the opaque door to the shower, and the toilet area, which has the same opaque door as the shower.

There are lots of YouTube videos showing the cabins also.

Sink area. There is a pullout cabinet under the sink for dirty towels.

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5483.jpeg

IMG_5480.jpeg

IMG_5481.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

IMG_4516.jpeg

Edited by pcrum
spelling