DOWNGRADING TO A LOWER CATEGORY?

suzyed

17 minutes ago, suzyed said:

My TA has tried through 3 phone calls and I spoke with 2 different people....at this point I'm sure that is not going to happen.  If a BB comes along they may give me that, but as you stated we don't seem to be able to get a downgrade, as silly as that seems.

Boo 

it sucks 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

A couple of years ago we moved from a Baja Balcony to a Caribe Balcony after final payment. I called and said that the Caribe balcony was now less than we had paid for the Baja balcony and asked to move. I didn't ask for a price adjustment or OBC or anything other than the cabin change. Not a problem and we retained the beverage package. 28 days in the Caribe balcony C705. Loved it. Yes, this was actually (at least in my opinion) an upgrade but it's a similar situation.

Maybe it was in the same category?  Caribe aft is generally a BD.  The Baja location was not mentioned, but your Baja probably had BA, BB, BD, BE, so hard to know if level, or up or down.

I am thinking Princess isn't wanting to let people downgrade in case of later buyer remorse and they might be unhappy having paid for a higher category initially.  I realize prices could have changed, etc.  I also realize @suzyed just wanted to move and no compensation.  Seems odd, but unless Princess is more forthcoming, I guess we have to accept that "the system doesn't work that way".  IMO, it is weird.  

I guess that means if we wanted to move aft to be near our friends on an upcoming cruise, we couldn't do it even if we wanted to now that we are close to sailing (BB to BD).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Maybe it was in the same category?  Caribe aft is generally a BD.  The Baja location was not mentioned, but your Baja probably had BA, BB, BD, BE, so hard to know if level, or up or down.

I am thinking Princess isn't wanting to let people downgrade in case of later buyer remorse and they might be unhappy having paid for a higher category initially.  I realize prices could have changed, etc.  I also realize @suzyed just wanted to move and no compensation.  Seems odd, but unless Princess is more forthcoming, I guess we have to accept that "the system doesn't work that way".  IMO, it is weird.  

I guess that means if we wanted to move aft to be near our friends on an upcoming cruise, we couldn't do it even if we wanted to now that we are close to sailing (BB to BD).

Right..or BB to BE as we wanted to.  Oh well.

Edited by suzyed

I suspect it is because the OP category is actually a Gty category.  Perhaps they need to  to pay the current rate for any category different than the one that they were assigned?

Maybe the current rate for the BE category is more than they paid for the GTY balcony rate?  If yes, they should be able to pay the difference and move their  booking from a GTY to the BE category.

Suzyed, is the current BE rate more than you paid for your GTY rate?

If not.....

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I suspect it is because the OP category is actually a Gty category.  Perhaps they need to  to pay the current rate for any category different than the one that they were assigned?

Maybe the current rate for the BE category is more than they paid for the GTY balcony rate?  If yes, they should be able to pay the difference and move their  booking from a GTY to the BE category.

Suzyed, is the current BE rate more than you paid for your GTY rate?

If not.....

Yes, it was a GTY but GTY's are not any cheaper although I know everyone thinks that.   It was all that was available when I booked. I actually tried to get the BC or BD GTY and they booked as BB GTY.
My rate is ALWAYS cheaper but not because it's a GTY, it's because I use a TA.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  Anyway, they weren't going to make the change for any reason....they didn't ask me to pay more, I told them I didn't want any money back, I simply wanted to switch to a different cabin, which is not going to happen unless a BB opens up and then MAYBE they will change it. 

I'm guessing it is because the OP booked a Gty category & was assigned an adjoining cabin bc that's all that was available.  Frankly I avoid gty bc you get ones no one else wanted. 

Hope you prevail either beforehand or onboard 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Yes, it was a GTY but GTY's are not any cheaper although I know everyone thinks that.   It was all that was available when I booked. I actually tried to get the BC or BD GTY and they booked as BB GTY.
My rate is ALWAYS cheaper but not because it's a GTY, it's because I use a TA.  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  Anyway, they weren't going to make the change for any reason....they didn't ask me to pay more, I told them I didn't want any money back, I simply wanted to switch to a different cabin, which is not going to happen unless a BB opens up and then MAYBE they will change it. 

If you make sure your TA understands that you are willing to pay the current rate (minus the same TA % discount) for the BE, you “might” have better luck.

I understand your apples to oranges comment as I always get a discount on my Princess Cruises with a TA.  I track potential cost reductions by noting the initial Princess cost (without my discount) and comparing it to the current price.  If I see a reduction I go back to my TA to get the savings. (While making sure that I am not losing any booking benefits like Sip&Sale).

Good luck, but you might be stuck in your assigned cabin.  If you really do not like you current cabin, perhaps you can upgrade to another cabin by paying the difference.

Guarantees are like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're gonna get. People who can't be happy in any cabin in the guarantee category or higher should never book a guarantee. I wasn't thrilled with our "upgrade" on our Crown Princess cruise (which we're currently on). But I knew the risks when booking a guarantee. Like the OP, I wasn't able to pick a specific cabin when I booked because none were showing up as available. We've made the best of our cabin and have learned to live with the big drawback--bunks protruding from the walls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

If you make sure your TA understands that you are willing to pay the current rate (minus the same TA % discount) for the BE, you “might” have better luck.

I understand your apples to oranges comment as I always get a discount on my Princess Cruises with a TA.  I track potential cost reductions by noting the initial Princess cost (without my discount) and comparing it to the current price.  If I see a reduction I go back to my TA to get the savings. (While making sure that I am not losing any booking benefits like Sip&Sale).

Good luck, but you might be stuck in your assigned cabin.  If you really do not like you current cabin, perhaps you can upgrade to another cabin by paying the difference.

I am not willing to pay more for a cabin in several categories lower.

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Guarantees are like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're gonna get. People who can't be happy in any cabin in the guarantee category or higher should never book a guarantee. I wasn't thrilled with our "upgrade" on our Crown Princess cruise (which we're currently on). But I knew the risks when booking a guarantee. Like the OP, I wasn't able to pick a specific cabin when I booked because none were showing up as available. We've made the best of our cabin and have learned to live with the big drawback--bunks protruding from the walls.

Which may be one of the issues with the cabin we currently are in and the door to the adjoining cabin.  Hoping the bunk goes up into the ceiling as many have stated that it does. 
It's not a big deal...it's not a terrible cabin but I just thought trying another in lower category wouldn't be such an issue.
It is what it is...we're going to have a fantastic cruise no matter what!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suzyed said:

Which may be one of the issues with the cabin we currently are in and the door to the adjoining cabin.  Hoping the bunk goes up into the ceiling as many have stated that it does. 
It's not a big deal...it's not a terrible cabin but I just thought trying another in lower category wouldn't be such an issue.

The bunks in balcony cabins tend to go up in the ceiling. It's those of us in inside cabins that get them jutting out from the wall. And as long as you think you'll have a fantastic cruise, you will. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

I am not willing to pay more for a cabin in several categories lower.

I certainly can understand why you would not want to pay more money for a cabin is a category that is more expensive than GTY rate, especially since you have been assigned a higher level category.  But it might explain why Princess is not willing to move you to category that is more expensive than your current rate.  (Even though it is a lower category).  I would guess that this is fairly common based on Supply and Demand.  
The  only other option may  be to pay more for an assigned category higher than you current booking.  (If anything is even available). If you are not willing to pay more than you already paid, then as you say, you will have to hope the a cabin in your assigned category opens up.

Enjoy your cruise.

P.S.  I looked and I see where your 11/4 cruise  as no cabins above a BE or BF available.  We have enjoyed the Emerald several times.  

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, suzyed said:

In balcony cabins the third bunk is always in the ceiling. If you don't look for the outline on the ceiling you won't even know it's there. Don't worry too much about the connecting room. We were once in a balcony cabin that didn't connect but the TV in the next cabin would come on loud early in the morning and we could hear the Wake Show pretty clearly in our cabin. No connecting door needed.

7 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I certainly can understand why you would not want to pay more money for a cabin is a category that is more expensive than GTY rate, especially since you have been assigned a higher level category.  But it might explain why Princess is not willing to move you to category that is more expensive than your current rate.  (Even though it is a lower category).  I would guess that this is fairly common based on Supply and Demand.  
The  only other option may  be to pay more for an assigned category higher than you current booking.  (If anything is even available). If you are not willing to pay more than you already paid, then as you say, you will have to hope the a cabin in your assigned category opens up.

Enjoy your cruise.

P.S.  I looked and I see where your 11/4 cruise  as no cabins above a BE or BF available.  We have enjoyed the Emerald several times.  

As I stated earlier ONLY Balcony GTY cabins were available when I booked.  It was a BB gty.  So when I saw a BE that is available I figured it would be no biggie to switch to a lower category and then they would be able to sell my existing cabin for more than the cabin I wanted to switch to since it is a lower category. But no dice..."their system isn't set up to do that".
I don't expect that even if a cabin in the BB category opens that they will give it to me.
As far as a "gty rate" that is not even an issue...I always pay less than what Princess charges, no matter what the category is, gty or not.

Edited by suzyed

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

As I stated earlier ONLY Balcony GTY cabins were available when I booked.  It was a BB gty.  So when I saw a BE that is available I figured it would be no biggie to switch to a lower category and then they would be able to sell my existing cabin for more than the cabin I wanted to switch to since it is a lower category. But no dice..."their system isn't set up to do that".
I don't expect that even if a cabin in the BB category opens that they will give it to me.
As far as a "gty rate" that is not even an issue...I always pay less than what Princess charges, no matter what the category is, gty or not.

I am guessing that I am not making you feel better about the situation, so I am sorry.

The percentage of your TA discount is not really relevant.  Your TA discount should be roughly the same percentage for either category.  If the current quoted price for the BE (original Booking price or discount price) is more than your original Booking or discount price, Princess is probably not going to move your booking if you are not willing to pay the price different. (Booking or discounted).  The original price of the BE at the time of your initial booking is also irrelevant.  Supply and demand creates strange situations.  Perhaps the reason that makes you want to “downgrade” would adversely affect what someone would pay for your vacated BB cabin.  

You may never find out, but I would think you would have better luck moving within your currently assigned BB category if one ever becomes available.  

I will now go away.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

In balcony cabins the third bunk is always in the ceiling. If you don't look for the outline on the ceiling you won't even know it's there. Don't worry too much about the connecting room. We were once in a balcony cabin that didn't connect but the TV in the next cabin would come on loud early in the morning and we could hear the Wake Show pretty clearly in our cabin. No connecting door needed.

So then imagine what it will sound like with the connecting door?!   

55 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am guessing that I am not making you feel better about the situation, so I am sorry.

The percentage of your TA discount is not really relevant.  Your TA discount should be roughly the same percentage for either category.  If the current quoted price for the BE (original Booking price or discount price) is more than your original Booking or discount price, Princess is probably not going to move your booking if you are not willing to pay the price different. (Booking or discounted).  The original price of the BE at the time of your initial booking is also irrelevant.  Supply and demand creates strange situations.  Perhaps the reason that makes you want to “downgrade” would adversely affect what someone would pay for your vacated BB cabin.  

You may never find out, but I would think you would have better luck moving within your currently assigned BB category if one ever becomes available.  

I will now go away.  

LOL!  You don't have to go away.  I agree with you.  It was just surprising when I found out they don't downgrade even if you want to.  There are no other BB's available and I don't expect there will be.  I'm fine with what we have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, full disclosure...News of the day!  My very awesome TA sent me an email with my NEW cabin assignment!!!  It's the downgraded cabin that I wanted!!!  I don't know how she did it except that she is just so awesome!  Oh and they're giving us a small refund because it's a lower category...didn't even need/want that!
I'm a happy camper!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

OK, full disclosure...News of the day!  My very awesome TA sent me an email with my NEW cabin assignment!!!  It's the downgraded cabin that I wanted!!!  I don't know how she did it except that she is just so awesome!  Oh and they're giving us a small refund because it's a lower category...didn't even need/want that!
I'm a happy camper!

Congratulations! I see on your earlier cruise you changed cabins as well but to a different category. You are becoming quite the cabin hopper! See you on both of your upcoming cruises. 😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Congratulations! I see on your earlier cruise you changed cabins as well but to a different category. You are becoming quite the cabin hopper! See you on both of your upcoming cruises. 😎

Not really...don't think we changed before?  Maybe?  LOL!  After a while they all run into each other, I guess!
But if I have a choice I will not book a GTY in the future....I just didn't have a choice this time as that was all that was available.

Edited by suzyed

On 10/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, suzyed said:

So then imagine what it will sound like with the connecting door?!   

I was worried the one time I was in a connecting cabin on the Regal, but I never heard anything. The door to the connecting cabin was near the door to the bathroom, so it was about as far from the bed as it could have been. I see you got your change in cabin, so I guess it's a moot point now.

Edited by drpack