Haven't cruised in 6 years! What has changed?

1 hour ago, CaribbeanCrush said:

My wife and I just book a cruise on the Allure. By the time we sail it will have been 6 years since we've been on a ship. The biggest one we've been on so far has been the Freedom. So I'm wondering what changes we will notice (besides the size of the ship)? 

Be sure to book all your shows as soon as they appear in your cruise planner.  One oddity of Oasis class is that other then up on deck there is almost no view of the ocean from anywhere inside the ship. Love the mega ships. happy cruising

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jaminvermont said:

If someone wants the drink package, all adults in the room have to buy it. They do sometimes make an exception and allow the purchase of the Refreshment package instead, if you call. I think that may be new to you...

Yep! Thank you.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Be sure to book all your shows as soon as they appear in your cruise planner.  One oddity of Oasis class is that other then up on deck there is almost no view of the ocean from anywhere inside the ship. Love the mega ships. happy cruising

Thank! We'll be sure to do that. 

Another odd thing is that the Windjammer seems to be smaller than on the Freedom.  Weird that the bigger ship would have a smaller WJ. Maybe it's just my perception.  But there are plenty of other free food options for breakfast/lunch. Park Cafe & Solarium bistro come to mind.

Oh, and the price of Johnny Rockets continues to climb as well.

23 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrush said:

Thank! We'll be sure to do that. 

That includes the comedy show. There are 3 shows a night - every night - and its the same show. But the venue is small - maybe a 100-150 people - so it goes fast.

27 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrush said:
1 hour ago, jaminvermont said:

If someone wants the drink package, all adults in the room have to buy it. They do sometimes make an exception and allow the purchase of the Refreshment package instead, if you call. I think that may be new to you...

Yep! Thank you.

Correct, you'll need to call to get the refreshment package. They will not allow the mix of the two drink packages online.

When you are doing the math to see if its worth it, the deluxe package also includes bottles of water, specialty coffee (not Starbucks), juices ,smoothies, etc. So if you can snag the package during the numerous, on-going "sales events" for $50 or less pp/pd, the breakeven point may only be 3 or 4 adult beverages, depending on your drinking style.

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Correct, you'll need to call to get the refreshment package. They will not allow the mix of the two drink packages online.

When you are doing the math to see if its worth it, the deluxe package also includes bottles of water, specialty coffee (not Starbucks), juices ,smoothies, etc. So if you can snag the package during the numerous, on-going "sales events" for $50 or less pp/pd, the breakeven point may only be 3 or 4 adult beverages, depending on your drinking style.

Thanks. I'll keep a look out for any sales!

The ability to potentially negotiate/bargain/haggle your way into a great deal on specialty dining, especially when boarding. This is entirely dependent on availability or how desperate they are to make sales.

3 hours ago, CaribbeanCrush said:

My wife and I just book a cruise on the Allure. By the time we sail it will have been 6 years since we've been on a ship. The biggest one we've been on so far has been the Freedom. So I'm wondering what changes we will notice (besides the size of the ship)? 

Pre-cruise reservations for entertainment on the biggest ships.  Fewer views to the outside from public venues on Oasis class ships.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrush said:

There was a dress code, although it wasn't very strictly enforced....

It's even less strict now.  Some ships have done away with "Formal night" and now call it "Dress your best" night....of course, "your best" is strictly subjective. lol

While I do not share many of the above criticisms of the food, I must say that the cruise line has allowed the MDR to have the ambiance of a Golden Corral.  Wife beater and backward ball cap? Come on in. Cowboy hat and tee shirt? We love those big hats at the dinner table.  Many have mentioned the necessity for a drink package.  You can imagine the table manners of those who overindulge.  We leave next week for a 10 night and may not darken the door of the MDR after the first night.  I like that there are other options.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1