How Has Cruising Changed: Expectations vs. Luxuries?

CCAubs

On 10/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, clo said:

I asked somewhere (here?) if one were adamant about dressing like that and got turned away from the MDR, would they refuse to cruise with that line again.  I don't believe I was answered.  And seeing what you wrote, as a returning cruiser, already know I won't cruise with them.  

Yes, you were answered.  Just not the answer you wanted.  Lol.  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, you were answered.  Just not the answer you wanted.  Lol.  

I had no desired response.  I see people complain a lot but wonder if it causes them to change line/ships.  Might be best for you to not assume you know what I want.

21 minutes ago, clo said:

I had no desired response.  I see people complain a lot but wonder if it causes them to change line/ships.  Might be best for you to not assume you know what I want.

Take it easy.  If you read the response you will hopefully understand.  

The we first started cruising, you had a MUCH better dining experience.  Real china, real silverware, real crystal glasses and a full place setting.  Very nice.  Molded butter pats..multiple courses (at least 5)....

Now, you have basic plates, stainless utensils, wrapped butter squares (or margarine...who knows?), no glasses or soup spoon or salad forks, 3 courses.....they've really "dumbed down" dining.  Of course, this is all to get you to pay more to eat in a better venue.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We did not have a phone or a TV till I was 9 years old.My parents never owned a car.We never went on vacations. On hot summer nights we slept on the roof of the three story apartment building we lived in,no elevator and we lived on the top floor.

We lived in a shoe box int middle o road.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cb at sea said:

The we first started cruising, you had a MUCH better dining experience.  Real china, real silverware, real crystal glasses and a full place setting.  Very nice.  Molded butter pats..multiple courses (at least 5)....

Now, you have basic plates, stainless utensils, wrapped butter squares (or margarine...who knows?), no glasses or soup spoon or salad forks, 3 courses.....they've really "dumbed down" dining.  Of course, this is all to get you to pay more to eat in a better venue.

What line is that - how do you get water if there are no glasses, how do you eat your soup?  I suppose if you only order 3 courses, you will only get 3 courses —- but when it comes to  ( “...or margarine...who knows?)  — I suppose if I were unable to tell the difference between butter and margarine I would be unlikely to want to pay more for anything different.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose if you only order 3 courses, you will only get 3 courses —

I had wondered the same.  App, soup, salad, main, dessert --- a minimum for many people.

17 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Of course, this is all to get you to pay more to eat in a better venue.

I don't know.  Unbundling pricing keeps fares lower and gives folks options.  If you don't want it you don't pay for it, and vice versa.  At least that is how I see it.