Our Carnival Sunrise B2B to Bermuda?? & New England / Canada (with pics) – 9/16/2019.

Jamman54

Soon it was time for dinner. Here are tonight’s menus…..

IMG_2291-XL.jpg

IMG_2292-XL.jpg

IMG_2293-XL.jpg

We both started with the vegetable spring rolls…..

IMG_2294-XL.jpg

Patti also had a Caesar salad while I had the Atlantic seafood chowder…..

IMG_2295-XL.jpg

IMG_2296-XL.jpg

For her main Patti had a flat iron steak with a baked potato, and I had a pork chop…..

IMG_2297-XL.jpg

IMG_2298-XL.jpg

Here comes Yoki, so it must be shot time!:classic_biggrin:

IMG_2299-XL.jpg

IMG_2300-XL.jpg

IMG_2302-XL.jpg

For dessert we both had the apple pie…..

IMG_2303-XL.jpg

After dinner I decided to enter the blackjack tournament. I wound up being the top qualifier with a personal best $18,000. If only had that been real money! :classic_biggrin:

IMG_2305-XL.jpg

However, my luck didn’t carry over to the finals, as I busted out after the 6th hand. Oh well. There’s always next time…..

IMG_2307-XL.jpg

IMG_2309-XL.jpg

Afterwards, Patti went back to the cabin to watch a movie, and I went to see Stefan at the Sports Bar for a couple of drinks. I went back to the cabin around 11 to watch the end of the movie with Patti. We craved a snack so we called to have a pizza delivered.

Coming up next: Our day in Portland, Maine.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Is the Dulse dried seaweed?  I think I had that 2 years ago when we sailed Regal Princess on their Kayak and Lobster lunch excursion.  I really liked it 🙂 (sort of like kale chips, but good 😉 )

yes it is and it's quite good. They say if you pan fry it, it tastes a little like bacon and you can make DLT's with it.:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

yes it is and it's quite good. They say if you pan fry it, it tastes a little like bacon and you can make DLT's with it.:classic_smile:

Oooh, seafood flavored bacon... 😄 

I know Saint John isn't always a favorite port by many, but Patti's pictures showed some great treasures.  There are lots of pubs, interesting art and architecture, challenging hills, and some shopping.  The tides can be really interesting if someone is into that sort of thing too.  We were able to see the reversing tides with the time we were in port and it was pretty cool.  I do think "reversing falls" is a misleading name, because it's not like being at Niagara and watching the water go "up" 😉 

Here is an example from our 2017 trip of how much the ship position changed from morning until late afternoon.

593814188_afternoontide2.thumb.JPG.a824feee6292b5b1a6898fa50a7b59bf.JPG1987892974_afternoontide.thumb.JPG.39d8c9509fa50a5d73033852c249f73b.JPG

8 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

The tides can be really interesting if someone is into that sort of thing too.  We were able to see the reversing tides with the time we were in port and it was pretty cool.  I do think "reversing falls" is a misleading name, because it's not like being at Niagara and watching the water go "up" 😉 

Here is an example from our 2017 trip of how much the ship position changed from morning until late afternoon.

593814188_afternoontide2.thumb.JPG.a824feee6292b5b1a6898fa50a7b59bf.JPG1987892974_afternoontide.thumb.JPG.39d8c9509fa50a5d73033852c249f73b.JPG

Yep, the tides are very extreme. We got off the ship via the gangway on Dec 1 forward. Coming back later that afternoon, Deck 1 forward was 10 feet below the top of the dock! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Day # 11  -  9/26/19  -  Portland, Maine ( 8:30 am to 6 pm ).

We were up at 8 am to a beautiful day. It is partly cloudy and the temperatures will reach the mid 70’s later in the day. The forecast is calling for rain to move in later this afternoon . Here are today’s Fun Times…..

IMG_2310.1-XL.jpg

IMG_2310.2-XL.jpg

IMG_2310.3-XL.jpg

Looking at the bow cam you can see that we have docked in Portland…..

IMG_2310-XL.jpg

Everybody must see the CBP people before being allowed off the ship this morning. Here is the letter we received which explains why, and how the process is going to work…..

IMG_2311.1-XL.jpg

Here's how it went for us today. We were docked by 8 am, but they didn’t start calling deck numbers until 9:40 am. I suspect that those with a Carnival excursion booked were processed first. Non US citizens were processed in the Liquid Lounge, and US citizens were processed in the Limelight Lounge. You are required to use the forward elevators and stairs down to deck 4 and you will be directed from there. If you try to come down to deck 4 using the mid or aft elevators you will be turned back and directed to the front. They will call you down to customs by deck. Today they will start with deck 12 and work their way down. You will not be allowed to leave the ship until you are processed. Your card will be scanned immediately after you present yourself to customs and then again when you get off the ship. If you haven't been processed then they won't let you off.

We are on deck 7 and we didn't get called down until 10:15. When we got off the elevator on Deck 4 forward, we were immediately at the end of the line. The line ran from the front elevator bank, around the Atrium, through the Radiance dining room, then into the Limelight Lounge. The line moved pretty quickly once you were in it. Once through customs you have to go down to deck 1 then all the way forward to get off the ship. It took about a half hour from when you joined the line until you finally got off the ship. We were already off the ship when we heard the announcement for decks 6 & 5 to go down. I imagine that those on decks 2 & 1 didn't get off until almost noon.

This whole thing was utter chaos. It was obvious that many people did not read the instructions that were given almost two days earlier, didn’t bother to listen to the announcements, or just blatantly got in line when they felt like it. No matter, we were off the ship at 10:45 am…..

IMG_2311.2-XL.jpg

This is the CBP offices in Portland…..

IMG_2312-XL.jpg

Here are a few views of the Carnival Sunrise docked in Portland…..

IMG_2311-XL.jpg

IMG_2314-XL.jpg

IMG_2315-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

We walked around the port area for a while checking out the vendors that were selling from kiosks along the walkway. Patti picked up a couple of Christmas tree ornaments here. Here I am checking out this metal globe sculpture…..

IMG_2316-XL.jpg

We saw an empty pedicab coming our way so we flagged him down. We asked Joe of Joe’s pedicabs, if he would take us to $3 Dewey’s and he said “no problem”.  I had heard of $3 Dewey’s while talking with someone at the Red Frog Rum Bar, so we decided to check it out…..

IMG_2318-XL.jpg

I’m enjoying the ride…..

IMG_2319-XL.jpg

Here are a few views as we made our way to $3 Dewey’s…..

IMG_2320-XL.jpg

IMG_2321-XL.jpg

IMG_2322-XL.jpg

We have arrived at $3 Dewey’s. I gave Joe $10 for what amounted to a 6 block ride, and asked him to pick us up at 2 pm…..

IMG_2323-XL.jpg

IMG_2325-XL.jpg

IMG_2326-XL.jpg

IMG_2328-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Here are some views inside of $3 Dewey’s…..

IMG_2333-XL.jpg

IMG_2332-XL.jpg

IMG_2331-XL.jpg

IMG_2330-XL.jpg

This must be one of the regulars…..

IMG_2329-XL.jpg

I’ve found my “spot”. I have decided that this will be my Portland Husband Daycare facility. :classic_biggrin:

IMG_2334-XL.jpg

Patti and I have our first drinks…..

IMG_2335-XL.jpg

I am enjoying my Allagash White…..

IMG_2336-XL.jpg

Patti pointed out that this bear eats popcorn…...

IMG_2337-XL.jpg

This is $3 Dewey’s drink menu…..

IMG_2338-XL.jpg

IMG_2339-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Patti joins me back at $3 Dewey's and we have one more drink. Joe picks us up at 2 pm as promised. We ask him to take us to “Scales” for a late lunch…..

IMG_2371-XL.jpg

Here are a few views as Joe pedals us over to Scales.....

IMG_2372-XL.jpg

IMG_2373-XL.jpg

IMG_2374-XL.jpg

IMG_2375-XL.jpg

IMG_2376-XL.jpg

IMG_2377-XL.jpg

IMG_2379-XL.jpg

IMG_2383-XL.jpg

We have arrived at our destination. Scales is the grey building with the big windows…..

IMG_2365-XL.jpg

IMG_2389-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

We go into Scales and we are told that they no longer serve lunch here, and that dinner service stars at 6. That won’t work for us though, and we were a bit disappointed because we had a great lunch the last time we were here two years ago.

Across the waterway we spot this place, and decide to give it a try…..

IMG_2386-XL.jpg

IMG_2387-XL.jpg

IMG_2391-XL.jpg

IMG_2390-XL.jpg

Here is the menu…..

IMG_2392-XL.jpg

IMG_2393-XL.jpg

IMG_2394-XL.jpg

IMG_2395-XL.jpg

Patti has the baked haddock sandwich…..

IMG_2396-XL.jpg

I started with an order of bacon wrapped scallops and followed it with the nor’easter lobster roll which is made with butter!

IMG_2397-XL.jpg

We both shared a blueberry cobbler…..

IMG_2398-XL.jpg

It was around 3:30 pm when we made our way back to the ship. It had become cloudy and it seemed like it was going to start raining any minute. Once back at the cabin we found today’s towel animal…..

IMG_2399-XL.jpg

We decided that since we had such a late lunch we would skip dinner tonight, and go up on deck for sail away.

We were just relaxing in the cabin when right at 6 pm we could see on the bow cam that we were starting to move. We made our way upstairs and out on deck to find that it was absolutely pouring outside. We were so disappointed because the sail away from here is simply awesome. So much so, that I’m going to post a link to our visit here two years ago so you can see how awesome it was. So enjoy the sail away and come back here when you are done. I’ll be here waiting for you.

Sail away from Portland, Maine

Back in the cabin we watched as the Carnival Sunrise approached the Portland Head Light on the bow cam…..

IMG_2409-XL.jpg

IMG_2406-XL.jpg

Around 7:30 pm Patti went to the Liquid Lounge to play balloon bingo, and I went to the Sports Bar to see Stefan. We were both back to the cabin pretty early tonight.

Coming up next: ghosts,graveyards, & beers at Cheers!

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1

Day # 12  -  9/27/19  -  Boston, Massachusetts  (8 am to 4 pm ).

We were up at 6:30 am to a beautiful sunny day, though it is now a chilly 47 degrees. It will warm up to the high 60’s later on. The seas are calm. Here are today’s Fun Times…..

IMG_2410-XL.jpg

IMG_2411-XL.jpg

IMG_2412-XL.jpg

We sailed into Boston Harbor and were docked by 7:30 am. Here is what we will be doing today…..

IMG_2415-XL.jpg

IMG_2416-XL.jpg

We purchased this tour through Carnival and selected the earliest departure time so that we would have time to visit the Quincy Market. So around 8:20 am we were off the ship…..

IMG_2413-XL.jpg

IMG_2414-XL.jpg

We found the line for our tour, and a short time later our tour guide came to collect us…..

IMG_2417-XL.jpg

IMG_2425-XL.jpg

Our ride is waiting for us, and it appears that the grim reaper will be doing the driving…..

IMG_2426-XL.jpg

IMG_2427-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Here are some views of the inside of our hearse…..

IMG_2438-XL.jpg

IMG_2437-XL.jpg

IMG_2431-XL.jpg

IMG_2429-XL.jpg

IMG_2433-XL.jpg

We are on our way to our first graveyard located in the north end of Boston….

IMG_2436-XL.jpg

We have arrived at the Copp’s Hill Burying Ground…..

IMG_2439-XL.jpg

Our tour guide lets us in then closes the gate behind us…..

IMG_2440-XL.jpg

IMG_2444-XL.jpg

Here are some more views of the Copp’s Hill Burying Ground…..

IMG_2441-XL.jpg

IMG_2442-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Here are some more views of the Copp’s Hill Burying Ground as our tour guide leads us to a particular grave…..

IMG_2445-XL.jpg

IMG_2446-XL.jpg

IMG_2447-XL.jpg

IMG_2448-XL.jpg

IMG_2449-XL.jpg

IMG_2450-XL.jpg

IMG_2451-XL.jpg

Our guide stops here at the Worthylake gravestone, a unique double gravestone, and tells us their story…..

IMG_2452-XL.jpg

IMG_2453-XL.jpg

IMG_2455-XL.jpg

IMG_2459-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 2

We are heading over to the other side of the Copp’s Hill Burying Ground…..

IMG_2456-XL.jpg

IMG_2458-XL.jpg

IMG_2460-XL.jpg

IMG_2461-XL.jpg

IMG_2469-XL.jpg

Here is some interesting information…..

IMG_2464-XL.jpg

IMG_2462-XL.jpg

IMG_2466-XL.jpg

IMG_2467-XL.jpg

This is an example of a winged face on a gravestone…..

IMG_2468-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Here is some Copp’s Hill Burying Ground history…..

IMG_2471-XL.jpg

The historic Old North Church is just down the street. Remember “One if by land, two if by sea”? We’ll be visiting Paul Revere later…..

IMG_2479-XL.jpg

We are leaving the Copp’s Hill Burying Ground…..

IMG_2472-XL.jpg

IMG_2478-XL.jpg

IMG_2477-XL.jpg

The Skinny House (or Spite House) is right across the street. It is 10.4 feet wide at it’s widest point, 30 feet long, and is just over 1,100 square feet. I suggest you google it as it’s story is fascinating.  In 2017 it went on the market for $895,000.....

IMG_2474-XL.jpg

IMG_2473-XL.jpg

We are back at our ride ready to head to our next graveyard. Somehow the grim reaper doesn’t look quite as scary anymore…..

IMG_2482-XL.jpg

IMG_2485-XL.jpg

IMG_2484-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Our tour guide was awesome. He played his part really well…..

IMG_2487-XL.jpg

IMG_2488-XL.jpg

We stopped right across the street from the Massachusetts State House…..

IMG_2493-XL.jpg

We were going to walk through the Boston Common to our next destination. Here our guide gathers the troops together…..

IMG_2494-XL.jpg

We are strolling through the Boston Common…..

IMG_2496-XL.jpg

IMG_2497-XL.jpg

Is that really Batman? I think not! :classic_biggrin:

IMG_2501-XL.jpg

IMG_2504-XL.jpg

We are approaching the Park Street Church…..

IMG_2499-XL.jpg

Boston Common signs…..

IMG_2500-XL.jpg

IMG_2502-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Our guide moves to another tomb, and tells us the history of the Granary Burying Ground…..

IMG_2546-XL.jpg

IMG_2544-XL.jpg

IMG_2541-XL.jpg

IMG_2538-XL.jpg

IMG_2535-XL.jpg

Here are some views as we were leaving the Granary Burying Ground…..

IMG_2540-XL.jpg

IMG_2542-XL.jpg

IMG_2543-XL.jpg

IMG_2545-XL.jpg

IMG_2547-XL.jpg

To be continued….

That concluded the tour which took about three hours. We now had a choice of being driven back to the ship, or being dropped off by the Quincy Market. We chose to be dropped off at the Quincy Market. When we were done there, all we had to do was go back to where we were dropped off, and one of the many trolleys that pass by would take us back to the ship. Sounds good to me!

We were dropped off right around the corner from the Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall…..

IMG_2550-XL.jpg

IMG_2551-XL.jpg

IMG_2556-XL.jpg

IMG_2558-XL.jpg

We are at the Quincy Market…..

IMG_2559-XL.jpg

IMG_2560-XL.jpg

IMG_2561-XL.jpg

IMG_2563-XL.jpg

Coming up next: Where everybody knows your name…